• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bed is off truck, what should I do?

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Hell I can do that with my 87 Ranger long bed with the bed on it...there's very little weight back there so in the slightest of low traction conditions you can spin the tires all you want, also doesn't help that is a 4x2 LOL. I kind of want to put a limited slip or locker in my Ranger but with no weight in the ass end I don't think a limited slip or locker would be of much use either...just need to put about 4-500 pounds in the bed and leave it there for the winter.

Not sure how useful a flatbed would be for some, but there's times I wish I had a flatbed, especially if I need to haul something large and/or heavy being able to simply slide it on and off the bed would be nice at times, or for hauling hay a flatbed would be useful. Have it built with pockets so you can build sides for it for the times you want to haul stuff and not have it slide off the bed...oh like maybe your dog not flying off the truck bed like I see happen here in Idaho a lot.
Putting the limited slip in my old truck last spring was a total game changer. I didnt even bother putting my snow tires on this year, just left the mud tires on it.. and was able to get around just as good as i could with the open rear,snowtires, and weight.

Thing would of been a tank if I put the snows on.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Putting the limited slip in my old truck last spring was a total game changer. I didnt even bother putting my snow tires on this year, just left the mud tires on it.. and was able to get around just as good as i could with the open rear,snowtires, and weight.

Thing would of been a tank if I put the snows on.
What limited slip did you go with? I know Lock Rite makes one for the Ford 7.5", any better options out there? I believe the lock-rite is actually locked until you make a turn then it unlocks to allow slippage for the turn then locks back up when straight again. The only issue is they tend to like to put you sideways going down the road, and without 4WD I'm not sure anything like this would work in the first place.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
What limited slip did you go with? I know Lock Rite makes one for the Ford 7.5", any better options out there? I believe the lock-rite is actually locked until you make a turn then it unlocks to allow slippage for the turn then locks back up when straight again. The only issue is they tend to like to put you sideways going down the road, and without 4WD I'm not sure anything like this would work in the first place.
I went with a Yukon duragrip. Its suuuper aggressive.. like... if your on the gas at all its locked up lol. Kinda annoying in parking lots but it definitely did its job when I needed it to.

I did run synthetic fluid in it though, synthetic makes clutch type lsd's aggressive and noisy.. running a Dino oil would make it "easier to live with" and not as lock-happy.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
I went with a Yukon duragrip. Its suuuper aggressive.. like... if your on the gas at all its locked up lol. Kinda annoying in parking lots but it definitely did its job when I needed it to.

I did run synthetic fluid in it though, synthetic makes clutch type lsd's aggressive and noisy.. running a Dino oil would make it "easier to live with" and not as lock-happy.
I don't need anything that aggressive I don't think LOL. However, I don't think there's much difference between all of them really, except the Lock Rite isn't clutch based, it just replaces the spider gears. The other thing I was looking at was a limited slip option for the front axle in my Bronco 2, but nothing is available, there's a Lock-Rite shown but its discontinued and a different spline count than what the tech section says the Dana 28 has a spline count of 23, but the Lock-Rite says a spline count of 27....wonder if I could swap to the D35 axle shafts which are 27 spline...then it would work except probably would need to change the manual hubs too. Way too much involved to make it worth having a limited slip front...I'd settle for doing the Lock-Rite in the rear of the Bronco 2 and Ranger.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
I don't need anything that aggressive I don't think LOL. However, I don't think there's much difference between all of them really, except the Lock Rite isn't clutch based, it just replaces the spider gears. The other thing I was looking at was a limited slip option for the front axle in my Bronco 2, but nothing is available, there's a Lock-Rite shown but its discontinued and a different spline count than what the tech section says the Dana 28 has a spline count of 23, but the Lock-Rite says a spline count of 27....wonder if I could swap to the D35 axle shafts which are 27 spline...then it would work except probably would need to change the manual hubs too. Way too much involved to make it worth having a limited slip front...I'd settle for doing the Lock-Rite in the rear of the Bronco 2 and Ranger.
Ah do it anyways!! Lol.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
Ah do it anyways!! Lol.
Its a daily driver, so I'm not going to be swapping axles just for a front limited slip LOL. If it were something simple to do like the rear limited slip from Lock Rite, I'd do it, but I'm not equipped to swap axles and stuff like that LOL. Too bad nobody offers a front drop in limited slip for the D28. I don't do any rock crawling/hard core stuff, just when you are up in the hills on trails and such sometimes a bit more traction would be nice, but nothing I'm too worried about as the vehicle is also a daily driver so swapping out axles that would end up being wider or otherwise making the vehicle sit higher and wider isn't an option. Only reason it sits higher now is because trying to find all terrain tires for snow/ice in the factory size is pretty much impossible.

Depending on how things go in the next year or 2 I may end up in a new Ranger so I don't want to put too much more into what I have now in case I end up selling or trading them in. If I get a new Ranger the Bronco 2 and my 87 Ranger will both go away most likely. I don't think I need 4 vehicles, 3 is bad enough as it is. I enjoy driving them but I don't know whether it makes any sense to keep them, can't drive them all. The Bronco 2 would be kind of a fun backroads toy but again I don't do any hard core offroad stuff so it wouldn't get a lift or anything of that nature, it'll go around any major obstacles because its so small, would just be nice to have all 4 wheels getting the same power especially this time of year in the snow/ice that are on a lot of the logging road passes, get up high and those passes are just pure ice sometimes, so having all 4's turning the same would be of great help, and adding chains.

As for back to the OP. I'd go through and repaint everything I could with the bed off, check all the wiring, pull the fuel pump/sending unit and make sure the pickup screen/tube are clean and not cracked, heard the pickup tubes can fail on them over time. Maybe do some rust proofing of the frame and underside of the bed. Lubricate the spare tire carrier assembly too.

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
Take a picture of the back of the cab. Please.

Neil Teske

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Just did this with my 02. Inspect your front to rear brake line ( I had to replace). Hoses on top of the fuel tank, evap solenoid
20210307_104610.jpg
20210307_170916.jpg
20210308_160530.jpg

Attachments

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.

Neil Teske

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If you bring a dipping sauce...

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
You sir have got a deal!

Bird_man

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
What's an average cost to add limited slip to my present rear axle? 2007 Ranger 3lit V6 5sp man. lts an 8.8'' with 4.10gears. Gear ratio is fine.. l would have to pay for parts and labor.
Thanks

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
L/S carrier is like $3/400, plus may as well replace all the bearings, another $100. 4/6hrs labor so another $500.

Last edited:

Bird_man

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
L/S carrier is like $3/400, plus may as well replace all the bearings, another $100. 4/6hrs labor so another $500.
So, for Ten Bens l can DOUBLE my traction? Sounds like a pretty good investment

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Well... double is a bit of a stretch.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals