• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Thoughts on Centric, Durago, other...? Rotor & Brake Pad Kits?

1992redranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Hey team!

I want to start off this post by first saying that several of the wheel studs on my front rotors (1992 Ranger, 2WD) are bad. 😅 Since I don't want my wheels to fall off, I was thinking of replacing the rotors (and maybe brake pads, too?) and was looking on RockAuto to see what was available. Under RockAuto's "Rotor & Brake Pad Kit" section, I see three items listed:

1. CENTRIC 90865099 Select Pack
2. DURAGO BK7029022 w/ Semi-Metallic Brake Pads
3. DURAGO BK7029026 w/ Ceramic Brake Pads

There are also rotors without brake pads listed, but I didn't know if it would be a good idea to just do the whole shebang while I'm at it. For what it's worth, my mechanic says the brake pads themselves look pretty good!

What thoughts do y'all have on these brand varieties? Any other brake brands I should look into? And what do y'all think about addressing just the rotors vs rotors AND brake pads?

Thanks so much!

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I wouldn't put new rotors on with used pads... you're probably asking for trouble in the squeak department.

There are a bunch of junk parts out there these days. I'm going to go through my brakes when warmer weather comes back around... not exactly sure what I will end up buying... but it probably won't be the cheapest I can find on the internet.

MikeG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
Don't use cheap rotors, got some at the Zone and they didn't last as long as the next set of pads :eek: Kinda pissed me off.

Also, on my 97 it is a MUST that you use NEW caliper bolts with thread locker on them. Guess how I know that.... fortunately, found it before the caliper fell of. Went straight to the nearest Ford dealer and got new ones. Would assume yours is the same, if not, someone will know. But if a bolt comes out with evidence of threadlocker on it.... best put one back in with the same.

I can't remember what rotors I ended up with, I may have gotten them from Ford also but it has been a long time.

If you're gonna be in there, replace it all at once.

ratdude747

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/70R15
Don't use cheap rotors, got some at the Zone and they didn't last as long as the next set of pads :eek: Kinda pissed me off.

Also, on my 97 it is a MUST that you use NEW caliper bolts with thread locker on them. Guess how I know that.... fortunately, found it before the caliper fell of. Went straight to the nearest Ford dealer and got new ones. Would assume yours is the same, if not, someone will know. But if a bolt comes out with evidence of threadlocker on it.... best put one back in with the same.

I can't remember what rotors I ended up with, I may have gotten them from Ford also but it has been a long time.

If you're gonna be in there, replace it all at once.
I've only had the caliper bracket bolts come loose on me once... and that was due to bozo here not tightening them down enough, also without loctite.

Since they're not a distorted thread or torque to yield, I don't see the harm in reusing them as long as they're not trashed and adequately torqued with loctite.

MikeG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
Most likely if you have a decent thread locker, yes.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I rarely replace caliper bolts unless they are the kind that double as the slide pin. For thread locker I just pick my nose and wipe whatever comes out onto the threads. In all my years doing brake jobs I've never had a caliper come loose.

O No 3.0!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger xl 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
I just did the brakes on my 97 & used the powerstop drilled & slotted rotors & ceramic pads from ebay. After a month of hard driving i can say they are excellent. They come with the bright silver zinc coating on them & still look great, even tho i abused the crap out of them for a week when i had a rear hard line break & had to clamp off the rubber line until i could get a replacement. The pads are listed as low dust ceramic, but they aren't very low dust. But that would be the only complaint i have with them.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals