• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My first 2 projects to do on My 2004 Ranger in Spring/Summer 2021

Garageguy60

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
This spring and summer I want to paint my cap the same color as my truck, and while the cap is off,second thing I want to do is remove the bed of my truck and clean up the underside of bed and paint it with POR-15 and preserve and protect it. and a third thing while the bed is off i want to clean up the frame and paint it also with the POR-15. I love this truck and I want to keep it and preserve it. Finally have a truck that I want and the color I wanted and my first 2wd/4wd . will also check and anything else that needs attention while the bed is off of the truck. if im correct and read everthing right (thanks to good information from this site) all i need to do to remove the bed is to remove 6 bolts (T55) from the bed, remove filler from gas tank, remove and unhook taillights . Any other suggestions anyone has i should do or look for other than the things ive mentioned, while the bed is off,please feel free to tell me. Thanks.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
You are ambitious. Godspeed. Post pics.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I would take a hard look at the spring hangers and shackles... Known condition... and you are there pretty much from age. Always been a PA truck?

Same could be said for the brake lines and hose on the rear. I would most likely replace the front brake hoses too. Another age thing.

Orca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
if im correct and read everthing right (thanks to good information from this site) all i need to do to remove the bed is to remove 6 bolts (T55) from the bed, remove filler from gas tank, remove and unhook taillights.
That matches my recollection. The forward 2 M12 Torx T55 screws are longer than the aft 4. I took my time removing all 6 because they were in tight. And I bought 4 new short ones for the rear because I didn't like the condition of the threads when I got them out. Re-used the forward 2.

Any other suggestions anyone has i should do or look for other than the things ive mentioned, while the bed is off,please feel free to tell me. Thanks.
Shock absorbers and muffler are easier to inspect and (as needed) replace with the bed off. Probably obvious, I know, but maybe worth mentioning anyway.

The evaporative emissions system is much easier to access with the bed off, but if you have no Check Engine Light (CEL), that's probably nothing to worry about.

It's also a good time to check the fuel filler vent tube (for kinks or obstructions), but if you're not having any problems with early fuel pump shutoff (when filling your tank), then you're probably OK there too.

Last edited:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
I would do it all the whole frame.....pull the cab too...

The metal on these is inferior compared to pre 94... the design is sound.....the steel sux.

Orca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Forgot to mention this... Watch for abrasion on the wiring loom that goes to the fuel pump. Attached photo shows back of cab on the left with a brown-colored spot on the loom where the bottom of the cab was abrading it. It hadn't abraded any of the wire insulation, so I just cleaned it up and added several layers of tape over the bad spot. It's worth checking.
abrasion-near-cab-rear-on-loom-to-fuel-pump.jpg

Garageguy60

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks Uncle Gump, Orca and Bobby Walter for everyones input. Alot of good ideas what to inspect. Yes, uncle Gump this was a one owner truck from Pa.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Yeah... I ended up doing my spring hangers and shackles on my 06 last spring. Parts are readily available and they are fairly inexpensive. I did mine with the bed in place... much easier if the bed is removed.

It would also be a good time to ensure your spare tire carrier works as it should. Those never get used and seize up.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
- I would recommend having new bolts for the bed on hand, they are cheap abs that way you do not need to wait to order some when you break a boot off.

- you can undo the three bolt that hold the filler neck to the bed, and leave it attached to the tank. Easy.

- there is a plug that connects the wiring from the bed to the frame, no need to take the tail lights out just unplug the wiring harness and take it all out together. Just be careful not to bust the taillights when flipping the bed over.

09fx4guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre Key w/ #1 Bars
Tire Size
265/70R16
If you are going to lift the bed, get a few friends to come over. I took the bed off of mine a couple years ago. I took the bed off on a saturday when I invited some good friends over for a BBQ and poker. They didn't mind helping lift it, and it only took 5 minutes since I had everything disconnected. They were surprised how light it was (there were 6 of us). I had them over again a month later for another BBQ and poker to put it back on.

I was able to reuse the bed bolts, but you may have to start soaking them a week or two before you want to remove them. You may have a small rust problem where they had that self adhesive heat shield.

I was going to use POR-15, but I went with Rust Bullet undercarriage kit. Two coats of silver and one (or two, can't remember) coat of black. It went on real good and has held up very well. Make sure that you sand it real good to break up and roughen the surface so it will adhere. If you wire brush it, it will smooth it out and almost polish the surface, and it won't adhere. It is alot of work to remove the undercoating from the factory, but it is well worth it.

Garageguy60

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks Alot Guys for all your good input and information on this subject. All good info. and I really appreciate it. I cant wait till spring and summer to tackle this project. Its always a great feeling to work in your garage and restore and work on something you really love. I will take before and after pics when I do this project and will post up all the pics on this wonderful site. Again Thanks Guys for all the good info.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals