• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fuel Injector Restoration

jon_herr

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I recently went on what was no less an adventure with my 1988 Ranger with a 2.9L V6 after having a problem with a rusted fuel system.

My fuel pumps (in tank pump and high pressure frame pump) were both clogged and destroyed after sitting for a few years. I’m pretty sure this is due to alcohol being added to the fuel but that’s another rant.

After replacing the fuel pumps, tank, and fuel filter I discovered that my fuel injectors were fully clogged. Completely clogged. The truck would only run if starter fluid was sprayed in to the intake.

Well this is the age of 2 day shipping from my favorite online seller... and place to get cheap stuff, right? I ordered an entire set to replace my clogged injectors for about $50. Win right?

Wrong. These injectors from China* had the wrong flow rate. The truck ran RICH. Really rich. I figured that I had introduced a vacuum leak or some other failure so I wasted a month trying to figure it out.

I started suspecting the injectors. I read reviews on the same site where I ordered these injectors from and one other person had the same problem and wound up spending big bucks buying OEM from Ford to fix the problem. Well that was out of the question for me. I wasn’t about to put $500 in to my truck no matter how much I loved it. This wasn’t a classic restoration; it was about getting it running reliably again.

I researched cleaning them myself, etc. There are ways and yes – maybe it would have worked – but I didn’t want to iterate on tearing my intake on and off a bunch of times.

That’s when I discovered InjectorRx, a company in Houston, TX specializing in fuel injector cleaning and restoration. If they can’t fix your injectors then they don’t charge you.

Rates vary but as of this post the cost for restoration is about $18 / injector. They will do same day processing for $25 if needed.

InjectorRX ultrasonically cleans and then flow tests your injectors then provide a performance report when they return your items.

In conclusion – my injectors, now 30 years old, arrived in the mail from Injector RX this week and I installed them today (replacing the mail order Chinese* injectors).

The truck runs like NEW. I highly recommend this path for anyone looking to restore performance or resurrect their once rust laden fuel system. Recovering a rust laden fuel system is another write up entirely. I kept my effort low, flushed the system and tank then replaced the fuel filter after the first tank. You may want to do more – and my next restoration is a 1993 Ford Explorer with the same problems and clogged injectors. That tank is not available for sale anymore so I’m going to build a rotisserie and tumble clean it overnight. I might report on those result later…

Please check these guys out next time you need your fuel injectors replaced or serviced.

* I say these Chinese injectors because the retailer said they came from China. :)

88xltranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I went through a similar process with my 88 2.9 recently as well and had good results with The Injector Shop. They sale a rebuild kit for like $10 that will service all 6 injectors. It can be a hassle getting the old filters out but if you like doing things yourself it isnt too difficult. It may be a cheaper alternative for you.

88xltranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
That might have made things easier. I just used one of those pointy sheet metal screws. I forgot the size.

Nez'sRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
Currently running a set of China injectors that are actually working ok... Still have the originals. Might check this out!

88xltranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Currently running a set of China injectors that are actually working ok... Still have the originals. Might check this out!
They actually made a mistake and sent me two kits but they dont have part numbers. Their website is easy to find the right one though.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals