• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Finally. A permanent power steering whine fix!

86isuzu

TRS Member Since 2003
Supporting Member
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
I mean getting rid of the bends and clean it up a bit I mean?
I'm sure you could shorten the lines up quite a bit. You may want to install a small P/S cooler though.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
So if I try to clean it up it won't affect much if anything at all if I do it right?
I just don't see the point. You're talking about removing maybe a few inches of steel line at most... how does the hours spent doing that equate to any benefit at all? It's not like they are in the way of anything else. If you want a cleaner looking engine bay, swap in a manual steering box and remove all of the power steering components.

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18
I relocated my oil filter on the front corner of the driverside frame,right behind charcoal canister.i have 90s just above frame and where there going to run the high pressure steel tube will be in the way of oil hoses.im making up new hose anyways to work with both mustang pump and 80s box.i don't c hrs of work.go hydraulic hose co and have them change the end on high pressure side. and return side just use 3/8 brake line cut down and slide hose onto it and clamp it down.

Last edited:

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18
I just wanted to know if those bends were really necessary.manual steering isn't an option

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18
The longest thing is the travel to parts store for brake line and hydraulic hose co

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18
I'm sure you could shorten the lines up quite a bit. You may want to install a small P/S cooler though.
I looked into one.there pretty cheap.25 bucks at parts store.i never thought about overheating on power steering until I looked more into it.just for getting rid of all those bends didn't think they really did anything.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
OK. I gotcha, I wasn't aware of the oil filter deal. I don't think the steel lines on an RBV do much for cooling, considering that they are so short. I would suggest having a high pressure line made that will clear your oil filter hoses, and use rubber through a cooler on the return side. That way you can more or less put the cooler in a convenient location and take care of the other hose clearance issues at the same time.

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18
That's kinda what I was thinking.also when I looked into the cooler for it the parts store showed that there was one that was exact fit for my 87 ranger.was there coolers put on rangers back on the 80s for the power steering?if so where were they mounted it i wonder?

Last edited:

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
I just let it whine. Its a Ford, its what they do.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
That's kinda what I was thinking.also when I looked into the cooler for it the parts store showed that there was one that was exact fit for my 87 ranger.was there coolers put on rangers back on the 80s for the power steering?if so where were they mounted it wonder?
I've never seen a factory cooler. Maybe it was an option at some point. I'd think mounting one in front of your radiator would be the most logical place.

86isuzu

TRS Member Since 2003
Supporting Member
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
I've never seen a factory cooler. Maybe it was an option at some point. I'd think mounting one in front of your radiator would be the most logical place.
I've never seen one either. And checking my catalog at work, I don't list a factory one. I'm guessing the dim bulb behind the parts counter just thinks the universal cooler is factory.

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18
I think it is a universal one. I put in 6 different ford vehicles and they all say it fits.probably because they all have same return hose size is my guess

Trump8MyKids

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I
I think it is a universal one. I put in 6 different ford vehicles and they all say it fits.probably because they all have same return hose size is my guess
I know this is almost a week old but I figured I’d tell you... my 98 came with one. It leaks like there’s no tomorrow. It looks to have a distribution block, if you will, going to and from the cooler and the pump.
Also... I’m planning on upgrading to a Saginaw TC pump but I’d like to have a cooler. Any idea where I can buy a new cooler? Nobody seems to have one. Also if anybody knows... where should I pull a pump from? I thought I read somewhere to pull it from a 2002-2004 Jeep Liberty but i wanted to verify.
Here’s the cooler and distribution block:
0770C37E-E1BD-430E-85D1-7197AF14AD22.jpeg
52FD104F-67B4-4998-80A5-9667102E71A2.jpeg

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Looks to me like your hoses are leaking, rather than the cooler...wow those are crusty. You could just have new hoses made and use a universal cooler that fits in that spot.

I think that "distribution block" you're looking at is just part of the steering rack, by the way.

The Jeep pump is not a bolt on replacement. Swapping that in requires an adapter and modifying your pump bracket, plus the pump, pulley and reservoir.

Trump8MyKids

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Looks to me like your hoses are leaking, rather than the cooler...wow those are crusty. You could just have new hoses made and use a universal cooler that fits in that spot.

I think that "distribution block" you're looking at is just part of the steering rack, by the way.

The Jeep pump is not a bolt on replacement. Swapping that in requires an adapter and modifying your pump bracket, plus the pump, pulley and reservoir.
That’s what I meant by what I said about the pump. Already bought the adapter just needed to know what I should pull it from.

also the ‘distribution block’ is on the rack it’s just thats what the cooler hooked up to. I’m guessing that’s the return line coming off of it going into the cooler and then back to the pump.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals