• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'94 Ranger 4x4 HD

thcscubajohn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
247ci
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Tire Size
31x10.50r15
My credo
Smog is for pussies.
So, I thought this belonged here;
I'm "halfway" through building my 4.0.
Here's the parts list:
Brand new stock con rods
ARP rod bolts
12.9 class head bolts
Reman 98tm heads
stock intake
Delta 937 cam
Comp cams sprimgs and retainers
KB flat top hypereutectic pistons .030
Hastings plasma moly rings
Double roll timing chain
Melling high volume oil pump
TwEECer RT fitted PCM
Ebay shorty headers
24lb Bosch injectors
45,000V coil pack
40ohm/ft plug wires
Motorcraft platinum plugs
Brand new ford lifters
All new sensors

Attachments

Last edited:

thcscubajohn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
247ci
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Tire Size
31x10.50r15
My credo
Smog is for pussies.
Photo Update.
Engine is going in this week!

Rotella was used for lubrication/ anti-rust during assembly

Valvoline sae30 non-detergent for first oil

Attachments

Last edited:

JeffAllen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
what headers did you use on your build and how do you like them? Having to research and find out where to start buying parts for my 2000 ranger since I found out both heads are cracked in 3 different places. Trying to find some headers to fit my 2000 that aren't $$$$ but there's not many out there for the 98-2000 trucks..

thcscubajohn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
247ci
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Tire Size
31x10.50r15
My credo
Smog is for pussies.
I originally ordered these,

Then I exchanged for these,

I would have preferred the JBA shorties but the cost was prohibitive. I am very satisfied with the headers that I ended up with, for the price. I wrapped and sprayed them to protect the components around them. They fit without modification but it was very close.(y-pipe did not line up with the catalytic converter but that might be because I put '97s on a '94 but IDK) I would say they are definitely an upgrade from stock manifolds and the sound is A+. Don't be fooled because these are cheap Ebay headers, but for $150 you can't complain.

JeffAllen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Sounds healthy man. Did you go with a 422 cam in your build? I'm trying to deciDE what all is worth doing to a 235k mile ranger..Have to do both head's and gonna do headers over the manifolds. Just not sure if a cam and new pushrods would be worth it or not in this high Mile motor..

You say you first got the 98-2000 headers did you try to fit them to your truck? I don't care about the y pipe bolting on I'm just curious if the older model headers would fit on my 2000 or not. There are some nice looking 304 Stainless headers on ebay for the earlier model trucks I'd love to buy for my 2000 just not sure if it's worth taking the risk on buying them hoping they will fit...

thcscubajohn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
247ci
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Tire Size
31x10.50r15
My credo
Smog is for pussies.
I went with a Delta 937 cam. The comp 422 has like a 5200rpm peak power, this one's 6300. I have the Tweecer module so I can tune my computer like a standalone. This cam definitely won't work with the stock tune.

The mounting pattern is the same on both those headers. I originally got the shorties because I thought they would have round openings to match the round 98tm exhaust ports. They are oval like for 93 and 95tm head ports. I exchanged for the long tubes cuz I wanted the better performance characteristics of the long tubes over the short tubes. The engine and trans is the same through all the years so they will definitely fit onto the engine. I don't think anything really moved around too much in the engine compartment so I'd say you could fit either set. The shorties re use the stock y pipe the long tubes include a y pipe that probably won't line up with you cat.

Attachments

JeffAllen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
I went with a Delta 937 cam. The comp 422 has like a 5200rpm peak power, this one's 6300. I have the Tweecer module so I can tune my computer like a standalone. This cam definitely won't work with the stock tune.

The mounting pattern is the same on both those headers. I originally got the shorties because I thought they would have round openings to match the round 98tm exhaust ports. They are oval like for 93 and 95tm head ports. I exchanged for the long tubes cuz I wanted the better performance characteristics of the long tubes over the short tubes. The engine and trans is the same through all the years so they will definitely fit onto the engine. I don't think anything really moved around too much in the engine compartment so I'd say you could fit either set. The shorties re use the stock y pipe the long tubes include a y pipe that probably won't line up with you cat.

Yeah I knew they would bolt up to the heads the same but I wasn't sure if they would hit the frame or suspension since surely things had changed on the trucks from 1990-2000.

thcscubajohn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
247ci
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Tire Size
31x10.50r15
My credo
Smog is for pussies.
They say 1998-2000 so I think you'll be fine.

thcscubajohn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
247ci
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Tire Size
31x10.50r15
My credo
Smog is for pussies.
If you're worried about fitment get the shorties

JeffAllen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
The only thing I'm worried about is the headers fitting and not touching or pointing towards the framerail or some shyt I'm not worried about if the Y pipe bolts up or not I wouldn't be using it with my dual's anyway.

thcscubajohn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
247ci
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Tire Size
31x10.50r15
My credo
Smog is for pussies.
The frames are the same. I'd be more worried about wires and steering column. Maybe Hvac. But it is for your car, you have a 2000, it's for a 2000.

JeffAllen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
The frames are the same. I'd be more worried about wires and steering column. Maybe Hvac. But it is for your car, you have a 2000, it's for a 2000.
No the headers I want to get for mine are NOT listed to fit my model truck "2000" it says they fit 90-94. They are 304 stainless that's why I want them I guess I will take a chance on them fitting. I don't care whether the y pipe fits or not since I won't be using it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals