• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

6.5 creedmoor

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I have a 6.5 Swedish mouser, made in 46' I think. I can hit a pie plate at 300 meters with iron sights, 100% consistency. That's probably the longest shot you'll take around here, too many trees and hills for anything else.

Only complaint, cost more then 30-06. Before the current ammo shortages $2.50 per round of S&B seemed like a good deal.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Performance and ballistics are so similar between .30-06 and .308, I'll just stick with .308. .30-06 has slightly longer range, that's about it.
I went back and forth, it was pretty much even, went ought six mainly for nostalgia in the end.

I have a 6.5 Swedish mouser, made in 46' I think. I can hit a pie plate at 300 meters with iron sights, 100% consistency. That's probably the longest shot you'll take around here, too many trees and hills for anything else.

Only complaint, cost more then 30-06. Before the current ammo shortages $2.50 per round of S&B seemed like a good deal.
In the make believe land where I have enough time and money to build a 700 I would handload for it.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I always liked my .308 guns... trusty, reliable, accurate, plenty of range and power

But my new delta 5 pro in 6.5 creedmoor shoots flatter than anything I've ever shot. It's like these bullets aren't even effected by wind or gravity. :yahoo:

Now if it was only legal to actually fire it in NJ...
You do understand that there are other places to live, right?

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I do. It was funny. I didn't lol'd.
Believe it or not I actually like NJ. The gun laws suck and the people are human garbage but I'm 30 minutes from some of the best beaches for fishing on the east coast.Close enough to go every day but far enough to not have my house washed away every hurricane. I'm 2 minutes from the Delaware river which is also amazing fishing, and we have more species of fish than most any other state.

Where my sister lives in Georgia is amazing. She is on 226 acres and you can legally shoot a .50 BMG off the back porch. The beach isn't far but its mostly shallow flats so fishing is not as good as NJ. And the summers there are HORRIFYING. The heat, humidity, and bugs make it unbearable to walk outside during daylight.

Where my other sister lives near you is nice, quiet, peaceful. But 3 hours from the ocean and the only real fishing is trout which gets boring.

If I were to move anywhere it would be Maine, or somewhere secluded on the Chesapeake bay.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Why is that rifle illegal to shoot in NJ....?

I don't have anything in 6.5 anything yet... me and my fiance both have 243 Winchester rifles, that's about as close as I can get. I really like them. Very flat shooting, hits hard and has very little recoil.

My next rifle will probably be something in 300 Blackout... or potentially a big bore lever action. I'd really like to find a lever chambered in 45 Colt. Been looking at Henrys but I'm torn. I don't really want a gold plated pimp gun but I don't want one that's painted black either.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
You cannot legally hunt with or shoot any rifle with a cartridge except .22 long rifle in NJ except at private indoor ranges. The exception being muzzle loading rifles. The basic nonsense behind this law is that since NJ is so small, they think anything over a .22 will travel too far and hit someone in the next town over. :rolleyes:

Deer hunting in NJ is done almost exclusively with shotgun, there is s special season for muzzle loader.

Being that indoor ranges are usually limited to around 25 yards they are fairly pointless for rifle shooting. There is only ONE outdoor range in NJ where the law doesn't apply and that is Fort Dix range 14 because it's on the Army base. It goes out to 1,200 yards but is only open to the public on Tuesdays because the soldiers use it the rest of the week.

I usually just take a ride over to PA to shoot.

Last edited:

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
You cannot legally hunt with or shoot any rifle with a cartridge except .22 long rifle in NJ except at private indoor ranges. The exception being muzzle loading rifles. The basic nonsense behind this law is that since NJ is so small, they think anything over a .22 will travel too far and hit someone in the next town over. :rolleyes:

Deer hunting in NJ is done almost exclusively with shotgun, there is s special season for muzzle loader.

Being that indoor ranges are usually limited to around 25 yards they are fairly pointless for rifle shooting. There is only ONE outdoor range in NJ where the law doesn't apply and that is Fort Dix range 14 because it's on the Army base. It goes out to 1,200 yards but is only open to the public on Tuesdays because the soldiers use it the rest of the week.

I usually just take a ride over to PA to shoot.
Today just happens to be Tuesday... I guess you’re going shooting.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.

I don't have anything in 6.5 anything yet... me and my fiance both have 243 Winchester rifles, that's about as close as I can get. I really like them. Very flat shooting, hits hard and has very little recoil.

My next rifle will probably be something in 300 Blackout... or potentially a big bore lever action. I'd really like to find a lever chambered in 45 Colt. Been looking at Henrys but I'm torn. I don't really want a gold plated pimp gun but I don't want one that's painted black either.
I have a Henry Big Boy all weather chambered in .357 mag, (Black and stainless) and LOVE it. They also make it chambered in .45, or the Big boy steel which is wood and black oxide steel that's not "pimped" looking you can get chambered in .45 colt.

H012G_H012GMR_Hero.jpg

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I get the hunting part, I'm aware of that... but say you've got enough land in NJ to safely shoot on... it's still just simply illegal to set up a target and shoot...?

Living near the ocean and good fishing would be nice but I think giving that up to live in one of the least populated places in the country is a fair trade. If my life choices had been different in my early 20's, I'd probably be living in a remote shack in AK right now.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Doesn't matter hunting or not you legally can not fire anything but .22 in a rifle no matter if you're on private property or not in NJ. Even .17 hmr is illegal.

You can buy any rifle you want here, but just can't shoot it. Most guys just go over to PA or stick to the indoor ranges but like I said, shooting a rifle like a 6.5 creedmoor at a 25 yard indoor range is just stupid.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Sounds like a tyrannical government to me........................................

I used to shoot at our indoor range before it got prohibitively expensive. One time I brought a Gamo pellet gun and shot that while my lady friend was practicing with her new Glock... the range officer was teasing me about the pellet gun, I guess they don't have many people shoot those there. I thought it was the perfect place to play with it... it's a deadly rabbit slayer within indoor range distances.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Sounds like a tyrannical government to me........................................

I used to shoot at our indoor range before it got prohibitively expensive. One time I brought a Gamo pellet gun and shot that while my lady friend was practicing with her new Glock... the range officer was teasing me about the pellet gun, I guess they don't have many people shoot those there. I thought it was the perfect place to play with it... it's a deadly rabbit slayer within indoor range distances.

Hay I was talking to a guy from California that was pretty into CO2 rifles. He had a 308 caliber pellet gun, went to competitions and all. Said he could take down a boar with, even though it was technically illegal to hunt with that type of pellet gun or something.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals