• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('02-'11) My free 03

Ronald Meyers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
l4 2.3 dohc
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 L4
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Ok here goes Duh question of the day...
Where is bank 1, sensor 1 located on my 2003, 2.3 L4 dohc and is there any suggestions installing a new one .I can't seem to find any information regarding installation in MY Chilton Manuel' other than at the time of publication this motor was considered
Un-rebuildable and I think most of what I've been working with are referring to the sohc which has two coils and is dual plugged.

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Bank 1 is the only bank on a 4cyl engine
O2 sensor 1 is the upstream O2 sensor, the one closest to the engine, located on end of exhaust manifold or at beginning of exhaust pipe system, so passenger side of engine bay in your Ranger, back by/under firewall

O2 sensor 2 is downstream O2 sensor, located after Cat Converters, just FYI

Drawing here: https://www.fixya.com/uploads/images/44e2701.jpg

#4 is the upstream or #1 O2 sensor

O2 sensors come with a 4 wire lead attached and a connector to plug into the vehicle's wiring harness
#3 in drawing is the connector

#2 is the downstream or #2 O2 sensor, just FYI

O2 sensors can be hard to replace, because there is a wire attached, so a regular socket can't be used
They use a 22mm wrench size or 7/8" will also fit
A 22mm flare nut wrench is best, if it will fit in to the space, an open end wrench may not get a good enough grip

A crowfoot flare nut may also be used if O2 is to close to firewall

This is a neat looking O2 wrench, never tried one but might one day: https://cdn3.pelicanparts.com/catalog/images/SuperStock/PEL-FO-78.jpg

Last edited:

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Easiest way to remove the upstream o2 sensor is by removing the passengers side wheel and going in through the fender well.

Ronald Meyers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
l4 2.3 dohc
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 L4
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Bank 1 is the only bank on a 4cyl engine
O2 sensor 1 is the upstream O2 sensor, the one closest to the engine, located on end of exhaust manifold or at beginning of exhaust pipe system, so passenger side of engine bay in your Ranger, back by/under firewall

O2 sensor 2 is downstream O2 sensor, located after Cat Converters, just FYI

Drawing here: https://www.fixya.com/uploads/images/44e2701.jpg

#4 is the upstream or #1 O2 sensor

O2 sensors come with a 4 wire lead attached and a connector to plug into the vehicle's wiring harness
#3 in drawing is the connector

#2 is the downstream or #2 O2 sensor, just FYI

O2 sensors can be hard to replace, because there is a wire attached, so a regular socket can't be used
They use a 22mm wrench size or 7/8" will also fit
A 22mm flare nut wrench is best, if it will fit in to the space, an open end wrench may not get a good enough grip

A crowfoot flare nut may also be used if O2 is to close to firewall

This is a neat looking O2 wrench, never tried one but might one day: https://cdn3.pelicanparts.com/catalog/images/SuperStock/PEL-FO-78.jpg
Ron D hey thanks again for getting back to me tonight I'm still sitting here sorry it took a while I was filling out my profile I hope I think that's what it was. I saw the notification so I'll stay up here tonight and copy read all these sites you gave me or the information and hopefully get back to you in the next few days and let you know how it goes...
This site and the time you all invest it's just awesome you are APPRECIATED!

Ronald Meyers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
l4 2.3 dohc
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 L4
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Easiest way to remove the upstream o2 sensor is by removing the passengers side wheel and going in through the fender well.
Cool dirtman I was peeking in there earlier looking for a sensor I kind of figured after looking at it and finding it if it's there thanks RonD, and you Mr. Dirtman for answering my next DUH QUESTION OF THE DAY CUZ I'M A DORK THANKS GUYS I REALLY APPRECIATE IT YOU'RE THE MAN THE MAN THE MAN WELL YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN HAVE A GOOD WEEKEND

Ronald Meyers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
l4 2.3 dohc
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 L4
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
RonD I just review reviewed the drawing the drawing you sent are the O2 sensor and I think they sent me the wrong sensor mine has a short wire on it if so can I just order another one for Bank one and use the one they sent me for the downstream sensor I mean are they are they the same are they interchangeable except for the wire length I don't know for sure yet I mean I have I've got to get into the trucking and find it but it looks on the diagram like they sent me the o the reardon downstream sensor

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, both O2s are the same, the difference in part numbers is the length of the wire leads attached

So locate the plugin for upstream O2 to determine if lead is long enough

The drawing is not specific to your vehicle, just an example of 4cyl engine O2 placements

Ronald Meyers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
l4 2.3 dohc
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 L4
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
RonD,
my man T the ranger station.
Hope you had a good Thanksgiving .
Ok so thanks for your reply the sensor is in they sent the wrong CHT , long and thin , mine is short and fat but I'm not sure that has anything to do with current issues;
Question: on a code reader does generic stored refer to previous codes set and if so do they need to be deleted/cleared either manually or by a readiness drive test.im getting the same readings on the obd ll all read generic stored. Lean bank 1, cat below threshold , IAC circuit ,misfire at startup first 1000 rev. and
02 sensor signal stuck Lean bank 1 sensor 1 ...
however I have a new reading PO442 Generic Pending
Emission sys. Leak Detected(small leak) generic pending all the others are generic stored and sensor 1 is new IAC IS NEW ALSO MAF)IAT ,
MAPS, pcv valve plugs wires coil pack all replaced when I first began my big adventure ...

Ronald Meyers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
l4 2.3 dohc
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 L4
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
And do ya think it's time for a readiness drive test which in this truck appears to be quite complicated or , no extensive , involved that's it involved . Oh last post was supposed to say my (man at) the ranger station not T

Ronald Meyers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
l4 2.3 dohc
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 L4
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Cool dirtman I was peeking in there earlier looking for a sensor I kind of figured after looking at it and finding it if it's there thanks RonD, and you Mr. Dirtman for answering my next DUH QUESTION OF THE DAY CUZ I'M A DORK THANKS GUYS I REALLY APPRECIATE IT YOU'RE THE MAN THE MAN THE MAN WELL YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN HAVE A GOOD WEEKEND
By the way dirtman changing the sensor through the wheel well that's the way to do it that's the good the same way as the PCV valve on the opposite side that was a nightmare thanks again

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2003 Ranger 2.3l DOHC has two temp units, well 3 counting IAT

The CHT(cylinder head temp) sensor is between spark plugs 3 and 4 in the head, it is long and thin, access is thru valve cover with long socket, just the computer uses this 2 wire sensor, not an uncommon failure as it gets older

Then there is a Coolant temp SENDER, used by dash temp gauge and computer, 2 wires, it is short and fat, its located on a coolant hose on the back side of the head, so between firewall and head

Computer uses both to set Choke and air/fuel mix
Either should set a code if one was out of range of the other

"Generic" code means any code that starts with P0, if it starts with P1 that would means its a Ford specific code in a vehicle made by Ford
Any vehicle sold in the US/Canada from 1996 and up must use "Generic" OBD2 codes as the standard, and then they will also have P1 codes which are maker specific, so GM, BMW, Toyota, ect.......will each have there own P1 specific codes
But all must use "generic" codes P0XXX as baseline

Lean codes mean computers calculated air/fuel mix was off by at least 15% or more
Generally this means unreported air is leaking in so computer doesn't see correct air weight, vacuum leak is the common term since its usually leaking into the intake manifold

But it can also be caused by low fuel pressure, Rangers have no fuel pressure sensor, computer just expects 55psi at each fuel injector, if its 30psi then less fuel flows OUT of the injector when it opens, so Lean air/fuel mix
Computer compensates for the Lean mix by opening injectors longer to get a "good mix"
If computer has to open the injectors 15%(or more) longer then it would set a Lean code to notify driver/owner that something is throwing off it calculations
Engine is never actually running Lean................unless you hear pinging/knocking and have a spike in coolant temp(overheating), that happens with actual Lean conditions

Yes, reset/clear all codes after any repairs then drive vehicle for at least 2 drive cycles(1 drive cycle is full warm up, 10min drive, and full cool down, 4-5hours)
Then see what codes returned

P1000 means codes returned after a reset OR there hasn't been enough drive cycles to test all the systems
Ford specific code(P1)
It usually takes 2 or 3 drive cycles after all code issues have been repaired to clear P1000

P0442 is an EVAP system code
EVAP system creates a slight vacuum in the gas tank to prevent gas fumes from escaping from the tank when gas is sloshing around while driving
It an Emissions system so can be hard to get it to clear, as computer needs to test it at least 2 times and it needs to pass each time
Common issue as a vehicle gets older is the filler hose to put gas in the tank, it can crack and so tank can't hold a vacuum, and you get EVAP "leak" code
But can be a few other things as well, there are several hoses that need to be "air tight" on the EVAP system

Last edited:

Ronald Meyers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
l4 2.3 dohc
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 L4
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock

The CHT(cylinder head temp) sensor is between spark plugs 3 and 4 in the head, it is long and thin, access is thru valve cover with long socket, just the computer uses this 2 wire sensor, not an uncommon failure upas it gets older

Then there is a Coolant temp SENDER, used by dash temp gauge and computer, 2 wires, it is short and fat, its located on a coolant hose on the back side of the head, so between firewall and head

"Generic" code means any code that starts with P0, if it starts with P1 that would means its a Ford specific code in a vehicle made by Ford
Any vehicle sold in the US/Canada from 1996 and up must use "Generic" OBD2 codes as the standard, and then they will also have P1 codes which are maker specific, so GM, BMW, Toyota, ect.......will each have there own P1 specific codes

Lean codes mean computers calculated air/fuel mix was off by at least 15% or more
Generally this means unreported air is leaking in so computer doesn't see correct air weight, vacuum leak is the common term since its usually leaking into the intake manifold

But it can also be caused by low fuel pressure, Rangers have no fuel pressure sensor, computer just expects 55psi at each fuel injector, if its 30psi then less fuel flows OUT of the injector when it opens, so Lean air/fuel mix
Computer compensates for the Lean mix by opening injectors longer to get a "good mix"
If computer has to open the injectors 15%(or more) longer then it would set a Lean code to notify driver/owner that something is throwing off it calculations
Engine is never actually running Lean................unless you hear pinging/knocking and have a spike in coolant temp(overheating), that happens with actual Lean conditions

Yes, reset/clear all codes after any repairs then drive vehicle for at least 2 drive cycles(1 drive cycle is full warm up, 10min drive, and full cool down, 4-5hours)

P1000 means codes returned after a reset OR there hasn't been enough drive cycles to test all the systems
Ford specific code(P1)
It usually takes 2 or 3 drive cycles after all code issues have been repaired to clear P1000

EVAP system creates a slight vacuum in the gas tank to prevent gas fumes from escaping from the tank when gas is sloshing around while driving
It an Emissions system so can be hard to get it to clear, as computer needs to test it at least 2 times and it needs to pass each time
Common issue as a vehicle gets older is the filler hose to put gas in the tank, it can crack and so tank can't hold a vacuum, and you get EVAP "leak" code
But can be a few other things as well, there are several hoses that need to be "air tight" on the EVAP system

Ronald Meyers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
l4 2.3 dohc
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 L4
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock

The CHT(cylinder head temp) sensor is between spark plugs 3 and 4 in the head, it is long and thin, access is thru valve cover with long socket, just the computer uses this 2 wire sensor, not an uncommon failure as it gets older

Ford specific code(P1)

But can be a few other things as well, there are several hoses that need to be "air tight" on the EVAP system, member: 110112"]
Just
[/QUOTE]

Ronald Meyers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
l4 2.3 dohc
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 L4
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
[/QUOTE]
RonD update: my free 03
Well I lost my reply so I will try to do it again I fixed the vac.leak
Installed new upstream 02 sensor
Some dark smoke on initial start up but cleared then intermitant light or white smoke a day or so after I thought it's just burning off buildup carbon from driving it like it was for so long I did a road trip nor cal arizona new mexico and back twice but I think it gets better it had a puff of white smoke at startup to drive up here so I could inform you of my appreciation the insight and knowledge you share first and foremost. And on my way up I noticed something I've been seeing in front of my left eye for
over a year and a half is no longer there this small little yellow rectangular light what says CHECK ENGINE is no longer lighting ! And there are no codes on the obd ll reader ,
And I jumped with so much joy I flew right out of my lil truck and watched it glide over the mountian landing in the river 2000 feet below....... But that's another story and a real big fix looking forward to your help ........
THANKS AGAIN RonD and the ranger station for fixing my truck without your help I would have most certainly ruined it continuing to drive it as I have been and neglecting it with ignorance...

Ronald Meyers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
l4 2.3 dohc
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 L4
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
RonD update: my free 03
Well I lost my reply so I will try to do it again I fixed the vac.leak
Installed new upstream 02 sensor
Some dark smoke on initial start up but cleared then intermitant light or white smoke a day or so after I thought it's just burning off buildup carbon from driving it like it was for so long I did a road trip nor cal arizona new mexico and back twice but I think it gets better it had a puff of white smoke at startup to drive up here so I could inform you of my appreciation the insight and knowledge you share first and foremost. And on my way up I noticed something I've been seeing in front of my left eye for
over a year and a half is no longer there this small little yellow rectangular light what says CHECK ENGINE is no longer lighting ! And there are no codes on the obd ll reader ,
And I jumped with so much joy I flew right out of my lil truck and watched it glide over the mountian landing in the river 2000 feet below....... But that's another story and a real big fix looking forward to your help ........
THANKS AGAIN RonD and the ranger station for fixing my truck without your help I would have most certainly ruined it continuing to drive it as I have been and neglecting it with ignorance...
[/QUOTE]
Wishing you all a very WONDERFUL CHRISTMAS and HAPPY NEW YEAR.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals