• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How to Pull ABS codes on 99 Ranger 2wd

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Ummm another shot in the dark, did you check your brake fluid? Pretty sure the ABS light is the same light for the fluid level.

Also, don't the ABS codes/data actually come out of the GEM module not a stand alone ABS module?
No, on both counts.

Red brake light is for parking brake and low fluid. Amber ABS light is for ABS. A low fluid condition will trigger both lights though.

The GEM does not power, control, or speak for the ABS module.

I somewhat suspect the OP has RABS, it is harder to talk to.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Nice way of saying I am screwed lol lol. Thank you for your help ! I do really appreciate it though

Orca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So I get the OBD Link EX get it all setup on Forscan and go to the truck to pull ABS codes and nothing. Doesn't even to be reading the ABS module.
That strikes me as rather odd that FORScan doesn't see an ABS node at all. If it's on the OBD2 bus, then FORScan should be able to see it.

For comparison, here's what FORScan shows for my 2004 Ranger:
FORScan--nodes-on-2004-Ford-Ranger.png

Some thoughts....

Before starting FORScan, do you have the key fully turned (i.e. to the position where, if you turned it any further, the vehicle would actually start)? On my 2004 Ranger, none of the nodes communicate unless the key is fully turned, but I know of some GM vehicles where all of the nodes except the ABS and airbag ("RCM" in Ford terms, "SRS" in GM terms) nodes will talk with the key only partially turned. (I really don't think that's the issue, but I'm trying to cover all bases.)

You might want to try running FORScan after you've started the vehicle, just to be sure that all nodes are communicating. But be careful what you do when the vehicle is running. Checking for codes is safe, but some other things may not be (e.g. clearing codes, resetting nodes, etc).

Do you possibly have an electrical issue (e.g. bad or intermittent fuse?) with the ABS? I'm not familiar with the 1999 Ranger but, again, I really would not expect FORScan to somehow fail to detect the ABS node, assuming it's on the OBD2 bus.

BTW, DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Code) "P1000" on the PCM node tells me that someone has recently done a reset of the emission-related DTCs. That's not a big problem, but I would avoid doing that in the future unless it's necessary because it resets "freeze frame" and other important data and also invalidates all the "vehicle readiness monitors" too, forcing you to complete one or more "drive cycles" to prepare the vehicle for any possible state emissions inspection. If your problem is really ABS-related, then it's a NON-emission thing and doing the typical "clear codes" thing that most tools offer is typically not recommended and may even just confuse the issue.

Orca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I somewhat suspect the OP has RABS, it is harder to talk to.
Just curious... do you know why that is the case? Do you know what protocol it uses (e.g. ISO 9141-2, SAE J1850 PWM)?

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Just curious... do you know why that is the case? Do you know what protocol it uses (e.g. ISO 9141-2, SAE J1850 PWM)?
I don't know what protocol it uses.

It's hard to talk to because it is a lesser module, not as sophistocated as a 4WABS unit. It should be on the OBDII network by 99, but they stayed on a dedicated diagnostic plug longer than 4WABS.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Before starting FORScan, do you have the key fully turned (i.e. to the position where, if you turned it any further, the vehicle would actually start)? On my 2004 Ranger, none of the nodes communicate unless the key is fully turned, but I know of some GM vehicles where all of the nodes except the ABS and airbag ("RCM" in Ford terms, "SRS" in GM terms) nodes will talk with the key only partially turned. (I really don't think that's the issue, but I'm trying to cover all bases.)
Yeah it is fully turned.

You might want to try running FORScan after you've started the vehicle, just to be sure that all nodes are communicating. But be careful what you do when the vehicle is running. Checking for codes is safe, but some other things may not be (e.g. clearing codes, resetting nodes, etc).
Gonna run out and try it in a few and try it with vehicle started.

Do you possibly have an electrical issue (e.g. bad or intermittent fuse?) with the ABS? I'm not familiar with the 1999 Ranger but, again, I really would not expect FORScan to somehow fail to detect the ABS node, assuming it's on the OBD2 bus.
I mean I checked the fuses and all look good but I can swap them just for the heck of it. But from my experience the light ALWAYS comes on after I reach 10-15mph and NEVER comes on prior or at a diff speed

BTW, DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Code) "P1000" on the PCM node tells me that someone has recently done a reset of the emission-related DTCs. That's not a big problem, but I would avoid doing that in the future unless it's necessary because it resets "freeze frame" and other important data and also invalidates all the "vehicle readiness monitors" too, forcing you to complete one or more "drive cycles" to prepare the vehicle for any possible state emissions inspection. If your problem is really ABS-related, then it's a NON-emission thing and doing the typical "clear codes" thing that most tools offer is typically not recommended and may even just confuse the issue.
Yeah the P1000 I looked up and it is because I tried to clear the ABS code by disconnecting the battery and google says I need to drive it for a while for some monitors to register.

Orca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I don't know what protocol it uses.
No problem. I was just curious because OP showed PATS as being PWM whereas my Ranger only has the PCM node using PWM protocol.

It's hard to talk to because it is a lesser module, not as sophistocated as a 4WABS unit. It should be on the OBDII network by 99, but they stayed on a dedicated diagnostic plug longer than 4WABS.
Interesting. If it's an honest-to-goodness node on the OBD2 bus, there are ways to "ferret out" the nodes and it could be manually queried, but I really would think that FORScan would've found it. The fact that it didn't makes me worry (for the OP's sake) that maybe it's not really on the bus.

Oh, @99Ranger4.0XLT I forgot to mention. You might want to check the "BPP" (Brake Pedal Position, or it might be "BOO" in FORScan for "Brake On/Off") report as you press and release the brake pedal. That goes to the PCM, so you should have no trouble reading that. EDIT: That may only be true if you have 4WABS, not RABS. Sorry for any confusion.

Last edited:

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
If its RABS its easy to fix. Remove every part of it and chuck it in a river...

Dumbest brake system ever conceived.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Interesting. If it's an honest-to-goodness node on the OBD2 bus, there are ways to "ferret out" the nodes and it could be manually queried, but I really would think that FORScan would've found it. The fact that it didn't makes me worry (for the OP's sake) that maybe it's not really on the bus.

Oh, @99Ranger4.0XLT I forgot to mention. You might want to check the "BPP" (Brake Pedal Position, or it might be "BOO" in FORScan for "Brake On/Off") report as you press and release the brake pedal. That goes to the PCM, so you should have no trouble reading that.

You guys are talking a different language about nodes and protocols lol lol !!!
Also truck on still doesn't read anything different than truck off.

BOO in FORscan says on:

Attachments

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.

Orca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You guys are talking a different language about nodes and protocols lol lol !!!
Sorry. "Node" = "module". PCM, RCM, GEM, and ABS are all examples of modules that talk to you on the OBD2 connector, using one of several "languages" ("protocols").

Also truck on still doesn't read anything different than truck off.
OK, good to have ruled that out.

BOO in FORscan says on:
Not enough info. Is that with you pressing the brake or not pressing it? Test it both ways.

In fact, I edited my earlier post because I saw evidence that the "BOO" signal may not be present at the PCM on a RABS 1999 Ranger. Do you know whether your Ranger is 4WABS or RABS? I don't know the easiest way to tell the difference. I'd look for wiring to the front wheels to confirm 4WABS, but some of the veteran Ford guys probably have a quicker way.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Sorry. "Node" = "module". PCM, RCM, GEM, and ABS are all examples of modules that talk to you on the OBD2 connector, using one of several "languages" ("protocols").

OK, good to have ruled that out.

Not enough info. Is that with you pressing the brake or not pressing it? Test it both ways.

In fact, I edited my earlier post because I saw evidence that the "BOO" signal may not be present at the PCM on a RABS 1999 Ranger. Do you know whether your Ranger is 4WABS or RABS? I don't know the easiest way to tell the difference. I'd look for wiring to the front wheels to confirm 4WABS, but some of the veteran Ford guys probably have a quicker way.
That late a RABS system should have front speed sensors too.

Quickest surest way is to find the ABS unit and look at it. Two brake lines is RABS, 5 lines is 4WABS.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Just went outside and indeed 2 lines so RABS

Orca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
OK, so only 2 possibilities at this point:
  1. FORScan is not smart enough to find an RABS module
  2. the RABS system is not sophisticated enough to be on the OBD2 bus
I would bet on the latter of those 2 things.

Regardless, diagnose what you can with what you've got until your rear speed sensor arrives. Repeating from my earlier post:
Also, see if FORScan offers any other PCM-module, brake-related PIDs (Parameter IDs) that you can monitor, other than "BOO" (Brake On/Off). Maybe not, but it's worth a look.

Also, I forgot to ask earlier: Is your red dashboard "BRAKE" (not "ABS") lamp illuminating as part of the self-test when you turn the key fully on? It should also illuminate when the parking brake is engaged. Does it?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah pressing brake on and off and BOO only says on. However i did not try it while car was on.

Yes the Brake light IS on. Also lights up and light goes off when the parking brake is engaged and disengaged, ALTHOUGH I did have to put some wd 40 to get it to light up a few weeks ago.

ABS rear speed sensor came in and it DID NOT fix it.

I changed the brake switch a week ago, do they make separate brake switches for the 4wabs and the RABS. Maybe they gave me the wrong one. I did buy 2 from different stores in hope one was bad.

I appreciate everyone for sticking with me on this one.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals