• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

93 Ford Ranger Frozen Manual Hub

Farmer Dave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x4
Transmission
Manual
Hi there! I just bought a little 'beater with a heater" that I hope to fix up, has 92, actual on it. Has some rust, and faded paint but drives tight. However, one of the manual hubs is frozen. Is there a trick to freeing it up or do I need to take it all apart? I figure it will be my winter project but it would be great to get the 4x4 functional as soon as possible since I am in northern WI. Whatever tips someone has would be awesome! TIA, Dave

rumblecloud

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1-1/2 inch front leveling
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50/15
My credo
What's the worst that could happen?
I'm not an expert, but there isn't much to it and you will/should definitely take it apart. Clean out all the old gunk and reapply.
Do you know if they are the original hubs?

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Welcome to trs! Check out the tech library (link at top of page) and there should be a good article on disassembling and cleaning them

AJ

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
well if its not too much to spend, Id do this, buy new and replace then clean your original hubs later & save them for spares. I personally had mile markers & had no problems with them. ( I replaced stock auto-locking hubs ) autozone isnt the only place you can get them, but it was where mine came from, might check summit/jegs or other online sources. This is for a D35, I think the D28 may be different.

5E4626A2-B444-49FC-B99E-9B048A7BCE57.png

Farmer Dave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x4
Transmission
Manual
I'm not an expert, but there isn't much to it and you will/should definitely take it apart. Clean out all the old gunk and reapply.
Do you know if they are the original hubs?
Thanks for the tips, they are the original hubs!

Farmer Dave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x4
Transmission
Manual
well if its not too much to spend, Id do this, buy new and replace then clean your original hubs later & save them for spares. I personally had mile markers & had no problems with them. ( I replaced stock auto-locking hubs ) autozone isnt the only place you can get them, but it was where mine came from, might check summit/jegs or other online sources. This is for a D35, I think the D28 may be different.

View attachment 51975
Looks like I may be able to get a set of Mile Markers locally for about $130...may go that route and that will give me the time to properly cleanup the originals. I like ht eidea of having spare parts around, I'm most likely going to need lots of those with this little beast ;-)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals