• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Let’s talk exhaust

OGdr

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
So I got a great deal on a set of pacesetter headers today, I’ll be installing them soon when I pull my engine for some work. Question is, what exhaust should I run with them? What sounds really good with these engines? Should I run y pipe or duals with dual mufflers? I’m thinking duals with a dual in dual out muffler but I’m curious as to what other people have done.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
A 2 1/2" single system will flow slightly more than a 2" dual and will be easier to fit. I have 2 1/2" single systems on my 13 second Mustang and my 351 Ranger. If you still have a 2.9 please buy a quiet muffler and not a fart can.

OGdr

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I already have a flowmaster with 2 inch dual tail pipes. It’s nice and quiet at cruising speeds and that’s how I’d like it to stay

ecgreen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
OGdr thanks for your service!

19walt93, the plea to not install a fart can is GOLD

ecgreen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
Do the pacesetter headers usually come flat enough or do they need to be re-milled? I know they are on the cheaper end...

OGdr

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
The flanges look pretty flat to me, although I haven’t had a straight edge on them to check. The welds on the collectors look like crap, but if they leak I can reweld them.
All in all they seem decent for what I paid for them. I probably wouldn’t buy them new though

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
Get some copper gaskets and keep rechecking the bolts until the torque stays stabile, a light coat of red silicon wouldn't hurt if you want.

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
OGdr,

I would use the Flowmaster you have with a single 2¼" into it, though I don't know what size it's inlet has.

I recommend Stage8 locking header bolts; torque them once, FOREVER!!!

In regards to what sounds good with a (stock) 2.9L, a simple Borla turbo sounds nice, the XR1 sounds meaner @ WOT with a little better flow but I would use you dual outlet that you already have, if I had it just to be practical. It will probable sound pretty good with headers ..)

While you have things out, I suggest relocating your oil filter, it makes getting at the passenger side exhaust much better. Also, with your engine out, GREAT time to get rid of that crankshaft driven fan/clutch and install a 16" electric fan. The little 2.9 really responds well to the reduced load. You will see that at the gas pump; It's been a couple of days but no other change helped my 2.9's get more mpg that losing that fan.

With headers, exhaust and no fan, depending on you tire/diff setup, you chould be in 25mpg+ highway territory.

I am not sure which year your 2.9is but 86-88 had a true dual Y pipe stock. If the Pacsetter "Y" is a like replacement you can go duals from it but a single 2¼" systm for a stock 2.9L with headers is a good match-up.

I am interested to hear a sound clip of the finished setup with the dual 2" outlet muffler you have; despite my love if the Borla sound, I suspect that set-up will sound good enough to keep ..)

mikkelstuff

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Be careful not to go too large on the exhaust. I don't know anything about the 2.9L but engines with much in the way of exhaust/intake valve overlap need some back pressure or unburned air/fuel spills out the exhaust killing performance as I learned once the hard way.

OGdr

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Thanks @gaz for the insight. I honestly was thinking of exactly what you described, as it’ll be my cheapest option and I’m on a tight budget.

ive always liked borla too but this flowmaster was a takeoff of a customers car so it was free 😁

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
Be careful not to go too large on the exhaust. I don't know anything about the 2.9L but engines with much in the way of exhaust/intake valve overlap need some back pressure or unburned air/fuel spills out the exhaust killing performance as I learned once the hard way.
I agree you don't want to go to big but it's not because the engine needs back pressure, what it need is for the exhaust to flow fast enough to evacuate the cylinders thoroughly. The bigger the pipe the slower the exhaust flow.

ecgreen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
They gotta be better than most aftermarket manifolds. I have seen some crap "new". Ones

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals