• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Multi purpose switch burnt up started smoking.

Sb.john

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Ok so the other night Im headed home and i have a hard time seeing at night with my dim lights so I Went to use my Hi beams and I started to smell a really strong burning plastic type smell. I immediately turned off the lights and struggled home hoping not to get pulled over. well next day I got to look and find one of the connectors to the multi purpose switch lever is burnt out. It warped the connected and i have no idea what would even cause something like this to happen. Really need some help I work late a lot and can’t be driving without headlights is very unsafe. I know the lever burnt out and needs to be replaced but I don’t want to put a new part in for this to happen again. Please any suggestions or knowledge is very appreciate.

Attachments

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
That usually happens due to a loose connection. Replacing it and making sure all the connecting tabs are clean is the best you can do. A little dielectric grease can keep moisture and humidity from corroding the connecting parts in the future.

The other thing would be to rewire the headlights on relays out in the engine bay. That reduces the current flowing through the headlight switch and multifunction switch. It also reduces voltage drop to the bulbs so they are a tiny bit brighter. But that's a bigger project.

Sb.john

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
That usually happens due to a loose connection. Replacing it and making sure all the connecting tabs are clean is the best you can do. A little dielectric grease can keep moisture and humidity from corroding the connecting parts in the future.

The other thing would be to rewire the headlights on relays out in the engine bay. That reduces the current flowing through the headlight switch and multifunction switch. It also reduces voltage drop to the bulbs so they are a tiny bit brighter. But that's a bigger project.
A loose connection at the headlight bulb or at the connector to the multi purpose switch? I was able to get another multi purpose switch and can pick it up later but as for the connector that got messed I had to order it. Won’t be able to pick it up till tomorrow and I don’t want to plug in the new switch to that connector and have it burn out again. The wires on that connector are loose two of them can pull straight out of the connector without the need of a tool. The wires themselves are not burnt or messed up it’s just the plastic connector got hot somehow and yeah lol.

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
A loose connection right there where it's melted. Replacing the switch and the connector, as you seem to be planning is the best solution.

Once the connection gets loose, it heats up. That ruins the spring tension and the connection gets more loose, then hotter, etc.

Sb.john

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
A loose connection right there where it's melted. Replacing the switch and the connector, as you seem to be planning is the best solution.

Once the connection gets loose, it heats up. That ruins the spring tension and the connection gets more loose, then hotter, etc.
Ok cool I really appreciate you messaging me and helping me out with my situation. One last question do you think it messed up the dimmer switch as well? as Far as I can see and with the knowledge I have theirs a red and yellow wire from the dimmer switch to that connector that got melted. that Connector from reading diagrams controls the headlights so it basically needs the multi purpose switch circuit to complete everything in order for the headlights to work? Without the multi purpose switch connected I pullEd the dimmer switch knob and my dash lights still work And I can still hear my door chime. Etc. just no headlights. the old lever was really stiff like just flipping it for my turn signals was really hard. Especially for the hi beam light if I tried to click it it was really hard To get into.

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
The main headlight switch on these older trucks is known for failing the same way. There are many sets of contacts in that switch for different circuits. Usually, just the connection for the headlights goes bad, due to the current that goes through it. At that point, you have to replace the headlight switch and connector like you are doing now for the multifunction switch. If you want, you can inspect the headlight switch and connector to see what condition it is in. If it is beginning to fail, you should notice some discoloration from the heat.

Sharky

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
do not buy a cheap switch or connector . I had an inexpensive universal switch burn up for me in less than 4 hours of use !

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
It's called a multifunction switch, not multi purpose switch. Asking for it by the right name can help prevent getting the wrong part. When those came out in the 80's we called them multi disfunction switches because so many failed.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
It's called a multifunction switch, not multi purpose switch. Asking for it by the right name can help prevent getting the wrong part. When those came out in the 80's we called them multi disfunction switches because so many failed.
Never understood what was wrong with foot dimmers.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Never understood what was wrong with foot dimmers.
People have a hard time working a third pedal let alone an extra switch on the floor. The confusion would be rampant.

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
People have a hard time working a third pedal let alone an extra switch on the floor. The confusion would be rampant.
Darwin hasn't been doing his job. How did we get so many people like that?

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Cars used to have manual chokes, manual transmissions- with no clutch "safety" switch- and manual brakes. Most didn't have passenger side outside mirrors because no one used to be stupid enough to pass on the right. Now we have self braking, back up cameras, cross traffic alerts, and more extra cost, mandated b/s to enable the drivers who don't pay attention. Many people think they no longer need to be smart because their phone is, and we all have to pay to protect them.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals