• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Hi! I need advice! My truck wont start.

Coloradogirl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F150
Transmission
Automatic
I use my truck pulling a 16 foot fully loaded trailer with no problems except it has no power up hill, but when I got home I turned the engine off and it never started again. It acts like it is out of gas but is over half full. I put in new fuse, relay, filter and pump but still not starting. No noise frimt the pump with the key but some gas from the pressure valve. Getting ready to change the csc sensor but is ther any other ideas I should consider. No warning signs befor issue.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
That era f150's are notorious for the fuel pump driver module going bad. But stop replacing things and do some tests. First, do you have an obd2 scanner? Can you pull any codes? A fuel pressure guage would also help (truck doesn't need to run to test pressure). A simple free-ish test. Spray starting fluid down the intake tube, if it starts you've guaranteed its a fuel issue.

Coloradogirl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F150
Transmission
Automatic
I do not have a scanner but the only code that showed up when the check engine light came on was a missfire in the 5th cylinder. Which I new about because of the rough idle. I did try the starting fluid and yes it starts as long as it is being sprayed but stops immediately when the spraying stops. I did not change the sensor because I don't believe that is the problem. I think it is something electrical because even though there is a small amount of gas from the pressure valve it doesn't look right and the fact I do not hear the pump engage when I turn the key tells me there is probably an open some where in the electrical going to the pump, but I absolutely am terrible with electrical and have no diagnostic tool for it or know how to use them right now. I haven't checked for spark yet either, but am still focused on the fact I don't hear the pump!

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
i NEED AN ADULT! HELP!

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I do not have a scanner but the only code that showed up when the check engine light came on was a missfire in the 5th cylinder. Which I new about because of the rough idle. I did try the starting fluid and yes it starts as long as it is being sprayed but stops immediately when the spraying stops. I did not change the sensor because I don't believe that is the problem. I think it is something electrical because even though there is a small amount of gas from the pressure valve it doesn't look right and the fact I do not hear the pump engage when I turn the key tells me there is probably an open some where in the electrical going to the pump, but I absolutely am terrible with electrical and have no diagnostic tool for it or know how to use them right now. I haven't checked for spark yet either, but am still focused on the fact I don't hear the pump!
Since it runs on starting fluid its definatly a fuel issue. So youre on the right path.

Im not super familar with the Fseries post 96...but you dont have any other weird issues right? That might point to a bad ecm?

Also remember that just cause you installed a new pump doesnt mean that its a good pump. Espicially if you ordered an amazon cheapy or something along those lines.

The fact it was running though then wouldnt restart after shutdown leads me to believe it wasnt the pump..,.it could be but a pump woulda just quit regardless.

I have heard of the "fuel pump driver" in those year trucks but know nothing about them. Maybe @adsm08 or @RonD can shed some further light on it.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
At the rear of the truck, mounted to a frame cross member just in front of the spare tire is a small electronic module. It has a large plug, a black plastic cover, and an aluminum body.

Remove it and inspect the side facing the frame. It probably has a hole in it. That's the fuel pump driver module.

Coloradogirl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F150
Transmission
Automatic
At the rear of the truck, mounted to a frame cross member just in front of the spare tire is a small electronic module. It has a large plug, a black plastic cover, and an aluminum body.

Remove it and inspect the side facing the frame. It probably has a hole in it. That's the fuel pump driver module.
Thank you all! That s awesome I didn't even know about that! I am going to do that today and hopefully that is it! Will save me tons of $$$$. Was scheduled for a tow and shop next week.

Coloradogirl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F150
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you all! That s awesome I didn't even know about that! I am going to do that today and hopefully that is it! Will save me tons of $$$$. Was scheduled for a tow and shop next week.
Mine is not there. I know it is supposed to but it isn't.

Coloradogirl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F150
Transmission
Automatic

Is there al alternet place we'd not for tha fpdm? It is not in front of the spare tire on my truck. Some where I read something about behind the driver and back passenger seat. But that description was too vague. I probably can recognize it from all the videos I watched trying to find another place to look with no success.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Is there al alternet place we'd not for tha fpdm? It is not in front of the spare tire on my truck. Some where I read something about behind the driver and back passenger seat. But that description was too vague. I probably can recognize it from all the videos I watched trying to find another place to look with no success.
First i found this....
Screenshot_20200923-175443_Samsung Internet.jpg

But then i found this...
picture_php_pictureid_172201_858800ceb7f76398f47337266c55f2373038c65e.jpg

Looks like its between 2 crossmembers dierctly across from one of the rear wheels. Pic description said 02....but i imagine should be the same

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Congratulations. You found the FPDM.

Take it off and look at the big hole in the back of it.

Then do NOT buy the Dorman replacement that bolts right back on to the frame. Spend a few extra dollars to get the Ford one. It comes with stand-off bolts that will move it off the frame about a 1/2 inch so that it doesn't collect crap and rot out.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Congratulations. You found the FPDM.
I found that pic....

On google.....

She said she was unable to locate it on her truck.

Coloradogirl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F150
Transmission
Automatic
First i found this....
View attachment 48572

But then i found this...
View attachment 48573

Looks like its between 2 crossmembers dierctly across from one of the rear wheels. Pic description said 02....but i imagine should be the same
Well I gave up and had it towed yesterday. And when they were moving it down the driveway to load it the power steering dumped all it's fluid onto the ground where that forced it to turn and it got a flat tire somehow while loading! I did try looking everywhere for the fdm it must de well hidden in that spot. Oh well I guess they will fix it.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
These trucks will sometimes puke power steering fluid when you turn the wheels with the engine not running. No big deal. Check the level and add as needed when you get the truck back. I don’t have much faith in your towing crew, though. They should not have caused a flat tire.

I hope the shop gets your fuel issue fixed for a reasonable price.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals