• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

At precisely what point do you give up on a vehicle?

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I’m curious as to what everyone’s opinions are on this. I realize that to some degree it matters what your skill set and budget is rather than exactly how bad the vehicle is, so maybe add a note as to experienced or not so much.

Whats prompting this is that my Ranger project is dragging on. I started with the motor was tired and the transmission blew up, so great time for a 5.0 and replace the radiator support, right? Well, kind of. Add in brake lines, ABS module, rust repair, evap line rotted out, miscellaneous other issues and now finding three frame cracks plus a number of holes in the frame...

It’s all stuff I’m capable of fixing, just really beating me down a bit because of working outside on it, by myself, and aside from a little time on the weekends if it’s not raining a random hour or two after work.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
When its no longer fun...

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Yeah, that...

My '90 has worn me out several times, but I'm deep enough in it now that I just can't give up on the thing... It sat for a few months lately because the parking brake pedal was stuck down, fixed that in about 30 minutes the other night and the shoes aren't adjusted enough to even grab so I called it done for now... that and all the oil leaks even after I've put a lot of effort into fixing them in the last couple years, gave up on those for now...

I for real gave up on my '94 Geo Tracker, it's a blast to drive, decent gas mileage, but it's high mileage and parts are getting HARD to find. Not to mention I've rebuilt the transmission twice (bearings just can't take commuting duty) and the engine almost twice... It's been sitting for 3 years now, I moved it to the driveway from the side yard a year ago, put a new head on it and now it needs fuel injectors and a battery... I'm stubborn and will fix it before I sell it since it will double the selling price and is only $300 in parts... but the motivation isn't there, it's literally in my way and I just don't wanna... Once I get my shop done I'll get on it, I could use the couple grand to build the office in there...

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
I gave up on the ‘97 after I rolled it, the ‘93 after the frame was found to be bad behind the passenger side front shock/spring tower (and already had a bad frame twist plus a blown p/s box and 2nd transmission was being noisy and needed double-clutching to downshift). The ‘88 I should of kept longer, I felt I needed a bigger truck. I should of kept it and put a V8 in it. My current ‘94 for all its issues and and multiple parts from mulitple trucks (like the “one peice at a time “ song). I just cant part with it yet, It even has the frame patched in a couple spots. I imagine once the frame goes completely I’ll part with it, or more than likely part it out & use what I can on the next truck. Unless I can get one good enough to not have to rebuild right off the bat.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
When its no longer fun...
Yup ^^^

I don't do "projects" any more, well car projects
But when I did, I remember saying, "the heck with it" and working on something else, ANYTHING ELSE, lol, but then I would get over it, and and come back to it when it was fun again

Its like anything you enjoy, you sometime don't, just a mood

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I gave up on the Ranger when the cost of repairs was more than the value of the truck. The transmission lost ALL of it's fluid in a less than 30 mile drive, the fuel pump was near shot, and the left rear wheel cylinder was leaking. Oh, and the power steering pump had a leak. Total cost of repairs would have been over $4,000.00. Value of the truck was less than $1,000.

My '95 Taurus needs a water pump, a rad, likely the parking brake cable (not sure why the left rear brake is dragging (discs), and probably front end work. It's driveable for now, I just won't take it on the highway until I get that left rear brake seen to.

ThatOneGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1983 1993
Make / Model
Ranger Explorer
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Explorer is 4.0 ranger is 2.3 soon to be 4.0
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75/15
My credo
Let the universe take you where it will !!!
I've got two now I'm parting out to fix my newest acquisition. Once the body falls apart and the engine goes. I buy another and repurpose all the good parts my first 83 I bought 12 years ago its sat for 8 years now. I then bought my 85 7 years ago drove it for 5 good years than its sat for the last 2 now my 2nd 83. In much better condition than the other two, shall live on with the parts of the others.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Also depends where you're at in life, if your working on a "project" then I assume you already have a good daily driver so the project is soley for enjoyment not practicality. In that case yea it's gone the second I'm bored with it or can no longer find any fun in working on it.

It's different for your daily driver. When I was dirt poor with just one vehicle there was no giving up on it, it had to work no matter what. Couldn't afford to buy anything else and couldn't afford to let it die. Now that I'm not AS dirt poor I look at my daily drivers from a strictly momentary standpoint. If it's cheaper to replace it with something else more reliable then it either just goes into the project category or gets sold and I'll buy a new car/truck.

I doubt I'll ever get rid of my ranger but I know at some point it will definitely be replaced as my daily driver.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Everyone is different on where that threshold is. Once it becomes a chore with no seeming end in sight, that's pretty much when you are at a decision point on whether to continue or just throw in the towel. Like Dirtman said, if it's your primary mode of transportation and money is an issue, then it might change things. Only you can decide that. Can you afford to just stop and get rid of it?

I've hit that point a couple times on my trailer rebuild/modification. Repetitive work for hours at a time for weeks at a time can just plain beat me down but progress is getting made and what I'm doing, no one else makes. If they made it, the price would be insane. Trailers half the size of what I have are about $7,000. When it's all said and done, I'll probably have about that in my trailer but it will have more utility, twice the size, and it will be exactly what I want.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
depends on the vehicle. whats the history with it? inherited, you got laid in it for the first time (or some other memorable moments in it...

Also depends on the issues. like Dirtman said, when it isn't your daily driver and it stops being fun to work on, maybe time to let go. if there is no real sentimental value in it, scrap it, or turn it into the parts donor for the next project. severe frame rust would be something I would think about ditching, also if it is just sitting taking up shop or yard space and you want to do other projects...

as for spending a ton of money on it, I think I would look at it as a "is this going to be fun to drive when done and I will get enjoyment out of it?" if yes, i would spend more money on it. I probably put close to 2k in repairs in my 97 over the last two years. some of that was needed maintenance (which I don't count toward it being a money pit, you need to replace tires/ shocks/ brakes as they wear...) and the truck is probably worth 3500 here. I would go and spend another 2k on it as I had time to work on it (not my daily driver) and as I am able to do so.

AJ

Alan_nc

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Yea, bin there done that:
Towed the 94 home about 6 months ago with plans for a complete redo.
She now runs great but the more I looked at it I realized it wasn't a good candidate for resto.
Heavy dent in left front fender, drivers seat fits the butt on previous owner. Not abused but sure used. Minor dents from one end to the other. Currently painted pink. Needs the computer replaced (fuel pump runs off separate switch).
Its just a good runner and work truck.

The old saying is true: If you are going to restore a vehicle start with the best one you can afford.

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD

But depending on how bad the frame is after this happens you can make a rat rod...

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I’ll have to comment on some responses later...

As for my situation, the Ranger IS my DD. Been driving my GF’s car and she would like it back soon. All of my other junk is down right now. going to try to do something about the F-150 next Friday, but that’s just to have wheels of my own. Much as I love that truck , DDing it is kinda out of the question, my hip won’t take that kindly. My 88 is still in pieces because I haven’t been able to spare time for it. My F-350 needs heads and some other work. My choptop needs a motor. My blue Ranger hasn’t been touched since I wrecked it years ago. Money is tight, I have property but no house and my mental state is suffering accordingly.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
I’ll have to comment on some responses later...

As for my situation, the Ranger IS my DD. Been driving my GF’s car and she would like it back soon. All of my other junk is down right now. going to try to do something about the F-150 next Friday, but that’s just to have wheels of my own. Much as I love that truck , DDing it is kinda out of the question, my hip won’t take that kindly. My 88 is still in pieces because I haven’t been able to spare time for it. My F-350 needs heads and some other work. My choptop needs a motor. My blue Ranger hasn’t been touched since I wrecked it years ago. Money is tight, I have property but no house and my mental state is suffering accordingly.
My dad has a similar problem. He buys cars cheap from people who need the money. Then gets new tires and anything it needs to get back on the road. Dumps a lot of money into old cars that aren't worth the effort. He recently junked his Lincoln after it left him stranded in Mississippi. He has a f150 that runs good but has a firebird amd an Acura CL that needs work. I told him his best bet would be to get as much money as he can for the cars he has & get ONE decent ride that he can depend on.

MikeG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
When you run out of money..... LOL

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals