• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

More Powa-Babeh 2.9L

DavisRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4” body lift
Tire Size
31x10.50R15LT
So, I’ve done some work.

RV Camshaft
Bored +40
4 hole injectors
Cat delete
Headers
Small stroke (idk where the machinist found the crank, but he did.)

I’m also running Advanced Timing and driving on 92 octane, it runs like garbage on anything lower than 92.
Now, I’m assuming I’m needing to have my computer adjusted cause this thing is running rich. Not rich to the point of falling on its face, but rich enough to throw codes and lose a little bit of power when I get my foot in it.

I should also add that I’m running a 170 thermostat, I just think 192 (recommended) is too dang hot. Idk if that would effect it running rich though.

I thought about getting the Jet Chip for it to see if that helps? Been tossing around the Morana dual upper intake.. Also, been looking at a bigger throttle body, or custom intake setup. All I know is I need more air. I’m confident I’m sitting between 175hp-185hp, until codes start being thrown lol.

I’m just having a hard time trying to decide what to do. Any ideas would be appreciated, as long as it doesn’t have to do with a damn swap.

The engine just broke 2500 miles, so swaps are out of the question for now. I’ll also add, I’m trying to break that “Mythical” 200hp mark.

To give you an idea of what’s going on here, I’m running 31x10.5R15 and she’ll break them loose through 2nd and chirp into third.

help me get loose through 3rd please (jk) and stop throwing CEL 😂😂.

But seriously, let’s talk.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Engines is goes vroom.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Ideally. I have several vroomless engines.
For only $49.99 I'll record myself making vroom vroom noises on tape. You can then set a boom box on the engine and play the tape. Problem solved.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
If those noises will make my Ranger go again, I'm in.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
So, I’ve done some work.

RV Camshaft
Bored +40
4 hole injectors
Cat delete
Headers
Small stroke (idk where the machinist found the crank, but he did.)

I’m also running Advanced Timing and driving on 92 octane, it runs like garbage on anything lower than 92.
Now, I’m assuming I’m needing to have my computer adjusted cause this thing is running rich. Not rich to the point of falling on its face, but rich enough to throw codes and lose a little bit of power when I get my foot in it.

I should also add that I’m running a 170 thermostat, I just think 192 (recommended) is too dang hot. Idk if that would effect it running rich though.

I thought about getting the Jet Chip for it to see if that helps? Been tossing around the Morana dual upper intake.. Also, been looking at a bigger throttle body, or custom intake setup. All I know is I need more air. I’m confident I’m sitting between 175hp-185hp, until codes start being thrown lol.

I’m just having a hard time trying to decide what to do. Any ideas would be appreciated, as long as it doesn’t have to do with a damn swap.

The engine just broke 2500 miles, so swaps are out of the question for now. I’ll also add, I’m trying to break that “Mythical” 200hp mark.

To give you an idea of what’s going on here, I’m running 31x10.5R15 and she’ll break them loose through 2nd and chirp into third.

help me get loose through 3rd please (jk) and stop throwing CEL 😂😂.

But seriously, let’s talk.
At this point, your engine is so far off from factory parameters that its a miracle that it runs.

Furthermore, the stock tuning is completely incorrect. The EEC-IV Speed Density computer is incapable of re-learning volumetric efficiency. Your volumetric efficiency has changed greatly. Continuing to run it like this will lead to damage - period.

A jet chip is resistors and diodes. They are NOT A TUNER.

YOU NEED A TUNER.

A quarterhorse, SCT, etc. are fawking garbage. They are inadequate as a tuner, period. Fight me. I will win.

If you don't believe me, go to a dragstrip. Those actually winning on EFI are using standalones, not chips. A chip is old tech and several magnitudes more expensive than a standalone.

There is a factory manifold that works. Contact Jeff Herston and Merkur Midwest. blugg@msn.com. Tell him you need a complete Merkur upper. they flow 13-35% better than the junk Ranger intake depending on RPMs. My VE maps show this. Yes, the Merkur one is better than Morana's.

I would be willing to bet that with appropriate tuning, you've already broken the 200hp mark.

If you do decide to go with Megasquirt/microsquirt, PM me. I can remote tune your truck from PA. Tuning shops are $400/hr on average. I am free.

Last edited:

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
If you do decide to go with Megasquirt/microsquirt, PM me. I can remote tune your truck from PA. Tuning shops are $400/hr on average. I am free.
You get what you pay for.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
tenor.png

Oh, yeah, I'm not promising dialing in anything but running and stable. The rest is up to you.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Cat delete gained you nothing and made driving the truck on the road a crime.

Just saying.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
⬆secret hippie

Amazon units are $50, and are basically a mesh strainer in your tailpipe. But, legal and CARB approved.

Besides, pollution sucks.

Even force fed, I dropped the money on a 3" cat to stay legal. If its a restriction, bigger cat it is.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Adsm08 beat me to it. If your truck is going to off road only, the cat delete is not an issue. However, if you drive it on to a public road, you are breaking federal law. Modern catalytic converters are not restrictive like the original ones were. So doing a delete gains you nothing.

DavisRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4” body lift
Tire Size
31x10.50R15LT
Cat delete gained you nothing and made driving the truck on the road a crime.

Just saying.
Lmao, I’ll take my chances and my cat was clogged. Sounds better, I will say that. I’ll wind up replacing it when I run new exhaust.

DavisRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4” body lift
Tire Size
31x10.50R15LT
At this point, your engine is so far off from factory parameters that its a miracle that it runs.

Furthermore, the stock tuning is completely incorrect. The EEC-IV Speed Density computer is incapable of re-learning volumetric efficiency. Your volumetric efficiency has changed greatly. Continuing to run it like this will lead to damage - period.

A jet chip is resistors and diodes. They are NOT A TUNER.

YOU NEED A TUNER.

A quarterhorse, SCT, etc. are fawking garbage. They are inadequate as a tuner, period. Fight me. I will win.

If you don't believe me, go to a dragstrip. Those actually winning on EFI are using standalones, not chips. A chip is old tech and several magnitudes more expensive than a standalone.

There is a factory manifold that works. Contact Jeff Herston and Merkur Midwest. blugg@msn.com. Tell him you need a complete Merkur upper. they flow 13-35% better than the junk Ranger intake depending on RPMs. My VE maps show this. Yes, the Merkur one is better than Morana's.

I would be willing to bet that with appropriate tuning, you've already broken the 200hp mark.

I was afraid you’d say that lol. I think we talked about this a while back. Wiring up an ECU is quite a daunting task. Since it’s my daily driver, I can’t afford to have it down for more than a weekend and with my luck... I’d do something wrong and I’d be shaking my head with hands in the air and wire all over the place.

However, I’ve come this far.. might as-well take a stab at it. Lol

Thanks for that email, btw. I’ve been looking all over for a Merkur upper. I had a feeling that would be the better option.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals