• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

GAWR of Dana Advantek Axles for 2020 Ford Ranger 4x4 w/ e-ocker

tankmech

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 4WD
Transmission
Automatic
Hi Folks -

I just purchased a new 2020 Ranger with the FX-4 offroad package about a week and a half ago. I am in the process of speccing a pop-up camper for it and need to find out the actual GAWR of the Dana Advantek axles, not the GAWR listed on the door sticker. I poked around the Dana site and was not able to locate the axle GAWR.

I'm planning to put larger e-load rated tires on it as well as perform a couple of suspension mods to help carry the additional weight so should be able to go with a bit more payload weight than is currently listed on the door sticker (1500 pounds total). Not planning to go with a lot of extra weight but it would be nice to be able to safely carry a total of 1800 pounds wet.

Anyone know this GAWR?

Thanks in advance!

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I wouldn't go past the rating stated by Ford for insurance reasons. If the insurance company catches wind of you carrying more than what the truck/axle is rated for, there is a good chance they won't cover you.

As far as the tires. Sure, you could go with E rated tires but the ride is going to be terrible. I'm pretty sure the LTs that come on the truck from the factory are C rated. I wouldn't go higher that D if you want an extra capacity buffer. Look at the load ratings for the tires and see what will work best within the limitations of what the truck can do.

I have also found when not carrying a load and the psi in the tires being too high in my 2011 tends to make the truck wander but goes away once I match the tire pressure to what the truck weighs. I only bump up the pressure when I load up the truck.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Also note in your owners manual it states not to install a slide in camper in your truck... so you may want to remove any sign of it if you have to take it back into the dealer for the sake of your warranty. Check into sway bars too...

The door sticker is written in stone, you can't change it. If you put the cab on a brand new super duty running gear you are still going to be held to the sticker on the cab door if anything goes wrong.

Watch the CG on the camper, 1800lbs on a Supercrew (everything more or less behind the axle) could get really... sporty.

What kinda camper are you thinking about?

tankmech

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 4WD
Transmission
Automatic
Hey sgtsandman and 85_Ranger4x4 -

I'm thinking about the Caribou Lite 6.5. It has a base weight around 950 lb but the build I want will likely weigh close to 1100lb. Looks like I'll need to limit the additional weight I carry to around 400 pounds so I don't exceed the payload capacity on the sticker. That's doable but not as fun as having everything and the kitchen sink along for the ride. :cool:

I purchased the extended cab, not the super crew so have a 6'1" bed. I opted for that b/c the configuration yields a higher payload and will hopefully put the camper CG over the axle. Going to be installing Firestone air spring helpers as well as the Fox 2.0 shocks (F&R). I'm hoping that yields decent handling. If not, I will go with the Hellwig swaybar option... Sporty handling in the snow is not my thing ;-)

I couldn't find in my owners manual where it states not to install a slide-in camper. Where did you find that statement in the manual?

Best,
tankmech

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Post 11 has a pic of it:

My springs carry the weight of my Skamper fine (800lbs +/-)... it really needs a sway bar though. Your truck is COMPLETELY different but I bet you will end up wanting one too.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
When shopping for air spring helpers, you may want to do price comparison between Firestone and Air Lift brands. I recently had trouble find info on Firestone for my slightly lowered F 150. A dealer showed me Air Lift brand. Not only was the info about what I needed easier to find, but I think the price was a slightly better. Seemed like a good quality kit and was easy to install.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
From what I remember, it’s in the towing section of the owner’s manual.

It wasn’t really an outright ban but a strong recommendation not to use a slide in.

Try to keep all the heavy stuff as a low as possible to keep the CG low and minimize sway and lean. Like in a trailer, load placement is important. The focus of that placement is a bit different.

tankmech

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 4WD
Transmission
Automatic
Hi Folks -
I took another look at my user manual for the recommendation against slide in campers and found that Ford has deleted it from page 15 of the manual. This was the page pictured in the buying my first truck thread that contained the recommendation. I also checked the payload and towing sections and found no mention of the recommendation. Apparently Ford does not want to turn off folks that are looking to use the vehicle for pop-top camping.

tankmech

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 4WD
Transmission
Automatic
Getting back to my originally posted question, does anyone know the GAWR for the Danatek Advantek axles?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hi Folks -
I took another look at my user manual for the recommendation against slide in campers and found that Ford has deleted it from page 15 of the manual. This was the page pictured in the buying my first truck thread that contained the recommendation. I also checked the payload and towing sections and found no mention of the recommendation. Apparently Ford does not want to turn off folks that are looking to use the vehicle for pop-top camping. View attachment 46206
me wonders if it was a revision or if there are different manuals depending on how a truck is specced out...

tankmech

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 4WD
Transmission
Automatic
Great question, I have the "long" bed version ;-) so the CG issue causing instability may not be considered as much of a liability as in the short bed version.

tankmech

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 4WD
Transmission
Automatic
PS

Checked to CG of the camper I want and it falls about 7.5" in front of the rear axle so should be ok from front to rear CG perspective.

Overall vertical COG will increase in height but the majority of the weight in that pop-up falls at bed level (refrigerator, battery, etc). the sidewalls of the camper top are very light and constructed of fabric. The overall height of the camper from bottom of the bed to the top will be about 55". Given that 20.5" of that height is bed wall, a lot of the camper weight will fall within the confines of the stock bed dimensions. Hopefully this all adds up to a camper/truck combo that is reasonably stable with upgraded aftermarket shocks and air helper springs installed.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
PS

Checked to CG of the camper I want and it falls about 7.5" in front of the rear axle so should be ok from front to rear CG perspective.

Overall vertical COG will increase in height but the majority of the weight in that pop-up falls at bed level (refrigerator, battery, etc). the sidewalls of the camper top are very light and constructed of fabric. The overall height of the camper from bottom of the bed to the top will be about 55". Given that 20.5" of that height is bed wall, a lot of the camper weight will fall within the confines of the stock bed dimensions. Hopefully this all adds up to a camper/truck combo that is reasonably stable with upgraded aftermarket shocks and air helper springs installed.
Yup.

If you get bored sometime check out the Skamper thing in my sig.

I can feel that the camper back there with mine but I also have a lift and my frame and springs are narrower than yours... so my experience is kinda moot. I just put a sway bar in it last night.

tankmech

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 4WD
Transmission
Automatic
Hey 85_Ranger4x4 - I'm interested to find out your impressions of the truck's handling after you take it for test spin with the new sway bar installed.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hi Folks -

I just purchased a new 2020 Ranger with the FX-4 offroad package about a week and a half ago. I am in the process of speccing a pop-up camper for it and need to find out the actual GAWR of the Dana Advantek axles, not the GAWR listed on the door sticker. I poked around the Dana site and was not able to locate the axle GAWR.

I'm planning to put larger e-load rated tires on it as well as perform a couple of suspension mods to help carry the additional weight so should be able to go with a bit more payload weight than is currently listed on the door sticker (1500 pounds total). Not planning to go with a lot of extra weight but it would be nice to be able to safely carry a total of 1800 pounds wet.

Anyone know this GAWR?

Thanks in advance!
Don't expect anyone of this site, especially not the moderators, to condone overloading, too much liability.

All Rangers that I have seen have 6,050 lbs GVWR, so Ford plays with GAWR to maintain desired payload with different packages. So, I'm betting Ford has de-rated your rear GAWR to 3,370 lbs as you have a 4x4 and they had to up-rate the front GAWR on account of the weight of differential/drive shaft/transfer case.

Maximum GAWR of Advantek is 3,500 lbs based on what I have seen in Jeeps/4x2 Rangers.
And that is pretty much equal to the Dana 44 which it is replacing, they were rated 3,500 lbs also*​

Pretty much everything you do to improve ability to safely carry max payload is going to reduce max payload (and remember you count as payload)
I wrote a semi smart @$$ response in the towing section - if you want more capacity, remove weight, starting with the 4wd components, pretty much everything from there applies here. @snoranger 's response was probably the best - if you're exceeding Ranger capacity, get an F-150.​

*Yes, there are Dana 44HDs with higher rating, but they aren't generic 44.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals