• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1980s ford ranger motorhome

Jlonga

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual

From a road trip in 1985. Not sure what year Ranger. This was a custom build. The floor plan was similar to early 80s Shasta's that has the dining area/bed at the back of the camper.

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up
Back in the 80's there were several companies that built small class c motor homes using Ford Rangers, Chevy S 10, Toyota pick ups.
They were popular during those years, and many are still out there. We see them very often when we're out camping. Those in good shape bring a premium when they go up for sale.
Sometimes they bring more than when they were new.

Attachments

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
the toyotas were fairly common round here, Ive seen one where they took off the camper body, made a back wall for the cab and shortened the frame to make a 6’ flatbed dually. Still had the camper rear axle. Ive never seen a ranger camper in person and havent seen a S10 in camper form.

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up
Lot of it depended on what part of the country the rigs were made. At the time manufacturers were all over the USA, and those made/sold usually stayed in the area. There were west coast manufacturers, east coast, and central.
Toyota's were the most popular, but I've seen Fords, Chevy's in our travels.
Unfortunately, they were all not the most "better built" rigs, and most I have seen have just rotted out. In our travels in 45 of the lower states, have seen many just sitting in yards, probably due to the running gear just giving out and the owners just not wanting to spend $$$ to fix.
Almost all were overloaded as they came from the factory, exceeding the GVWR. The manufacturers got around this by adding stiffer springs, shocks, dual rear wheels, but didn't help much.
The early Toyots rigs even came with a 4 cyl. engine and single rear wheel.
Would be nice to see what the manufacturers could do with a current Ranger. Would make a nice smaller class c.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Maybe its my bias talking but the 1st gen ranger should of held up to that kind of "abuse" much better then the early yotas, not to mention the S10.

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
Maybe its my bias talking but the 1st gen ranger should of held up to that kind of "abuse" much better then the early yotas, not to mention the S10.
Rusty, it's all how they were maintained. Have had many rv's,, both trailers and motor homes since 1970. Took care of mine, and never had any real problems. Have seen rigs that were only a few years old that were trashed.
Those early small trucks had minimal power to haul the added load and were really not designed for what they were put through.
Imagine running a rig with 140 hp, loaded to the max, up through the Rockies, or over the Alcan Highway. Put 2500 lbs in an older Ranger/Toyota and just hauling it around on flat ground would tax it.
And, then you add clothing, food, water, personal gear, ect. They were overloaded from the start.

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
And here's a few on the older Datsun pickups....

Attachments

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
forgot about the datsuns. The dakota might of been a better chassis , being bigger and offering a V8, but at the end of the day its still a dodge.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Rusty, it's all how they were maintained. Have had many rv's,, both trailers and motor homes since 1970. Took care of mine, and never had any real problems. Have seen rigs that were only a few years old that were trashed.
Those early small trucks had minimal power to haul the added load and were really not designed for what they were put through.
Imagine running a rig with 140 hp, loaded to the max, up through the Rockies, or over the Alcan Highway. Put 2500 lbs in an older Ranger/Toyota and just hauling it around on flat ground would tax it.
And, then you add clothing, food, water, personal gear, ect. They were overloaded from the start.
Thats kinda what im gettin at though. Im guessing the ranger ones were 2.8/2.9s which were pretty damn gutsy compared to a 20/22r or 2.8L GM.

Not to mention the ranger had probably the strongest overall drivetrain of the trio, espicially if they ran C5s.

Not sure how the 7.5 rear stands up to the other two, but at those power levels im sure it was fine.

I doubt an S10 frame, and certainly not a yotas toothpick frame is nearly as stout as a ranger, and the ranger had I beams.

Im not saying that theres any doube in my mind they were way overloaded and not exactly set up for a long service life...but i can tell you right now id trust a 2.8/2.9 ranger chassis to get me, my family, and all my shit up and over and down the rockies before i trusted an S10 or yota. Regardless of how slow it made the climb.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Not sure how the 7.5 rear stands up to the other two, but at those power levels im sure it was fine.
I have yet to see any photographical evidence but supposedly the 31 spline 8.8 was available on cab-chassis first gen Rangers.

The Toyota conversions seem to be far the most popular, they have the most still in circulation anyway. I think they changed the rear axle on those too.

I have the slide in for my '85... pretty sure it would kick a 2.8's @$$. I can't imagine a full camper body. My 5.0 toys with it but knows it is there, with half the hp... lol pack a lunch. It cackles a little more going up a hill but can still break both tires loose on gravel with the 800lb camper in the back.

But back then 55mph was the national speed limit too.

Last edited:

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I have yet to see any photographical evidence but supposedly the 31 spline 8.8 was available on cab-chassis first gen Rangers.

The Toyota conversions seem to be far the most popular, they have the most still in circulation anyway. I think they changed the rear axle on those too.

I have the slide in for my '85... pretty sure it would kick a 2.8's @$$. I can't imagine a full camper body. My 5.0 toys with it but knows it is there, with half the hp... lol pack a lunch.

But back then 55mph was the national speed limit too.
Why do people nowadays think they gotta hurry everywhere?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Why do people nowadays think they gotta hurry everywhere?
I like to at least be able to maintain the speed limit.

The big thing with these things is going to be stability at speed too.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals