• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

CA Mandates all trucks must be electric beginning in 2024

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Only if the resident of California let them do it.

sheep herder

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
If it ain't broke, break it.
It just means that diesel powered trucks will be registered in other states. More businesses will be leaving the state too.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
That mandate doesn't require all trucks to be electric in 2024. Just that all manufacturers make an electric truck available by then. There's another 21 years before they're required to -only- sell electrics. Plenty of time for technology to improve or the law to be modified.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Ford already makes an electric raptor. I cant imagine it'll be hard for other companies to do the same and offer at least one electric vehicle option.

03d67df3-3e99-4ecc-8dee-1e3f039cf3ec_1.a4c332d7657bfffe31698c9cc9254ba3.jpeg

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
All of the heavy truck makers (Daimler, Volvo, Cummins, etc) have been working on electric trucks for several years now. The first handful that are ready for "primetime" are starting to trickle into customer hands now. Buses, box trucks, garbage trucks, short haul semi tractors, etc are already on their way or will be in the very near future.

It will be interesting to see if the CA regulation expands to other CARB states or not. I can see a bunch of switching yards just across state lines where long haul trucks drop trailers and electric trucks pick them up to handle the freight in/out of CA and any other states that follow.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Upside is lower demand of fossil fuels means lower price of fossil fuels, like we saw a few months back

So IMO its a good thing and I'm not even a "tree hugger" :)

I can't wait until "ALL OF YOU" have to go electric, then I will get MY gas at $.05/gallon, GO GREEN baby, go green

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I've said this before, what is the purpose of an electric vehicle when the power required to charge said vehicle is coming from coal anyway? Unless your grid is powered by nuclear energy all you've done by using an electric vehicle is shift the emissions from one point to another. I think things like that should be factored into decisions before making laws about this crap. California wants all these electric vehicles but have they prepared the electric grid to handle the extra load or ensured its clean enough that it won't be producing just as much emissions as the trucks themselves did?

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up
There must be a way to determine the amount of methane being produced in your poop furnace. If possible to convert it to power a truck, you are home free.
Between you, the goats, and the chickens, I imagine there is quite a bit produced.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
I've said this before, what is the purpose of an electric vehicle when the power required to charge said vehicle is coming from coal anyway? Unless your grid is powered by nuclear energy all you've done by using an electric vehicle is shift the emissions from one point to another. I think things like that should be factored into decisions before making laws about this crap. California wants all these electric vehicles but have they prepared the electric grid to handle the extra load or ensured its clean enough that it won't be producing just as much emissions as the trucks themselves did?
The City of Indianapolis has several electric mass transit buses, including the two part articulated buses (huge). they are almost whisper silent going down the road... as for polution, I agree with you. but, it will be easier for the state to jump on a single point of pollution than to go after thousands or hundreds of thousands or even millions of individual vehicles. once the majority of large trucks or even cars are converted to electric, then the sing point of pollution can be addressed.

As for infrastructure, that will be improved as more and more electric vehicles and demand for charging them goes up. The issue that I see is what are we doing to the environment by mining the toxic chemicals that are in the batteries? and what are we doing with those chemicals once the batteries reach the end of their service life? Right now, they are shipped over to third world countries and are poisoning those areas. so if you are a developing country, you are in a world of hurt polution wise just so the first world countries can feel good about themselves because they have eliminated fossil fuels...

AJ

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You are messing up a perfectly good fantasy with facts, please stop that

Electricity comes out of the wall, so clean energy, just makes sense that an electric vehicle would be clean as well, "they" just need to add a wall inside somewhere, DUH

Sometimes reality is just plain inconveinent, so ignore it, works for me :)

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up
What would happen if, you have an electric vehicle, and you use a 12 volt powered battery charger, plugged into the cig. lighter with the clamps attached to the battery ?
Self charging ? No need to run out of power ? No need for outside source to charge battery ?
THIS is the sh-t that keeps me up at night !

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
What would happen if, you have an electric vehicle, and you use a 12 volt powered battery charger, plugged into the cig. lighter with the clamps attached to the battery ?
Self charging ? No need to run out of power ? No need for outside source to charge battery ?
THIS is the sh-t that keeps me up at night !
The hamster would loose its freaking mind...

VagueFlimsyGenet-max-1mb.gif

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yup, if your well runs dry just use the hose to fill it back up, DUH :)

These silly people way OVERTHINK these things

Last edited:

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
IC Engine alternatives...
Horse Powered
Goat Powered
People Powered

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals