• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Anyone have a 22 mag?

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I know this doesn't fit the post... but I've been thinking one of these for a truck gun to take camping. My oldest daughter wants to learn to shoot and so does my wife... this would be perfect to start them on. I like it because it could break down small and fit into a dry bag for canoe camping and could easily be rigged into a side by side for when I move back to Michigan. They just had a sale for like $140.... and I missed it.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I know this doesn't fit the post... but I've been thinking one of these for a truck gun to take camping. My oldest daughter wants to learn to shoot and so does my wife... this would be perfect to start them on. I like it because it could break down small and fit into a dry bag for canoe camping and could easily be rigged into a side by side for when I move back to Michigan. They just had a sale for like $140.... and I missed it.

Those sell extremely fast around here. Don't know that I've seen one on a shelf in a while.

All guns are welcome in my threads. :D

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
I am thinking of looking into a new rimfire.

The Henry Small Game Carbine has my attention.

Anyone else have any 22 mags?
I had one, sold/traded it...kinda took the fun/simplicity out of using a .22...Way louder and more expensive, harder to find ammo, not game changingly more powerful than a hot .22lr like cci...Although if that henry is tube fed (especially lever action) it will most likely handle .22 mag, lr and even shorts! I got my eye on a tube fed lever action henry w/ the octagon barrel.

If its strictly .22 mag I say may as well .17hmr, its way more fun for having to ear earplugs, and notice the cost of ammo.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I've owned a 17 hmr. Was a bad little rifle. It was a bull barrel bench target rifle though. Something I rarely do.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
I've owned a 17 hmr. Was a bad little rifle. It was a bull barrel bench target rifle though. Something I rarely do.
Have a savage mako thats been worked over several times in 22lr. Strict bench rest gun, eley ammo only.

Shoot it every couple of years. Same deal.. wears off.. Eh.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
My most often used and most useful piece is my old marlin 74 bolt action, clip fed .22lr. Ive got a lil bushnell coyote 3-9 scope on it. This thing is a tackdriver, has no recoil, and is super quiet (especially w/ subsonic ammo).

the .22 mag I used to have was the same setup (bolt action clip fed), and just as much fun, but paying way more for ammo (if you could find it) was not so fun.

Although results vary, so I say if your heart is set on .22mag, then go for it! its not like guns lose value or desirability. You can always sell it later.

if possible maybe try out a buddy's or a rental...

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Have a savage mako thats been worked over several times in 22lr. Strict bench rest gun, eley ammo only.

Shoot it every couple of years. Same deal.. wears off.. Eh.
what yardage u got that thing zeroed at? how far out do you lob em? my marlin is zeroed at 100 yds, but I may bring it in to 50 yds, since most my pest control and plinking is usually within half a football field or less...

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I had one, sold/traded it...kinda took the fun/simplicity out of using a .22...Way louder and more expensive, harder to find ammo, not game changingly more powerful than a hot .22lr like cci...Although if that henry is tube fed (especially lever action) it will most likely handle .22 mag, lr and even shorts! I got my eye on a tube fed lever action henry w/ the octagon barrel.

If its strictly .22 mag I say may as well .17hmr, its way more fun for having to ear earplugs, and notice the cost of ammo.

The little Henry lever actions go either .22LR/.22L/.22Short, or .22Mag if i'm not mistaken the .22mag has a slightly tapered cartage and will not in in a .22LR(plus it's a lot longer.)

However, I have a basic one, no brass plating or octagonal barrel, and it's fun to shoot. Just stand in the yard blasting away at beer cans like the rifleman.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
The little Henry lever actions go either .22LR/.22L/.22Short, or .22Mag if i'm not mistaken the .22mag has a slightly tapered cartage and will not in in a .22LR(plus it's a lot longer.)

However, I have a basic one, no brass plating or octagonal barrel, and it's fun to shoot. Just stand in the yard blasting away at beer cans like the rifleman.
So jealous! I love those lil henrys, will have one day.

Id like one in .22 and one in .357/.38

dang I forgot about the taper. some can probably interchange, although I'm sure its not "safe"

My buddy has a revolver that comes w two cylinders for .22lr or .22mag

He lost the .22lr cylinder, so we shot .22lr thru the .22mag cylinder and it worked fine...perhaps we were lucky that day.

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
.22's are all the same.... Good for teaching youngsters but at the end of the day it's just a .22.... I have a ruger 10/22 and you blast our 10 shots so fast it gets boring quick if you are just target shooting. .22's are like the 3.0's of the ranger world. easy, reliable but nothing fancy.

What's everyone's favorite gun they have? Mine would be my SD40VE. Had a lot of guns that I wish I still had like my old ruger .44 magnum super Blackhawk.... That gun was just too much gun for anything practical so I ended up trading it. Wish I wouldn't have ever traded it now but I think the value was shot since one of the previous owners used a Dremel or engraver to write his own serial number into the frame. DUMBASS gun owners should not engrave stuff on nice guns. The story I was told was that the previous owner was a cop and that was his badge number. It was still engraved crapily and right on the frame... Still makes my blood boil.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
.22's are all the same.... Good for teaching youngsters but at the end of the day it's just a .22.... I have a ruger 10/22 and you blast our 10 shots so fast it gets boring quick if you are just target shooting. .22's are like the 3.0's of the ranger world. easy, reliable but nothing fancy.

What's everyone's favorite gun they have? Mine would be my SD40VE. Had a lot of guns that I wish I still had like my old ruger .44 magnum super Blackhawk.... That gun was just too much gun for anything practical so I ended up trading it. Wish I wouldn't have ever traded it now but I think the value was shot since one of the previous owners used a Dremel or engraver to write his own serial number into the frame. DUMBASS gun owners should not engrave stuff on nice guns. The story I was told was that the previous owner was a cop and that was his badge number. It was still engraved crapily and right on the frame... Still makes my blood boil.
Haha that makes me think of 2 more questions....

What gun do regret parting with most?

Whats the worst thing you have seen done to a gun?

That engraving story is pretty bad lol

I had a 1911 I regret selling...but growing up shooting glocks, couldnt get used to the darn thing, took a box of ammo before I could hit anything. It wasn't the gun because my 1911 toting buddy was deadly w/ it.

My favorite gun besides the marlin .22 bolt action is my old single action revolver ruger vaquero in .357

Its sleek and sexy, fixed sights make it draw quick, carry nice, and take a drop.

it is also very accurate, and solid! My double action taurus tracker in .357 weighs less even though it holds one more round as a 7 shot!

Im a big fan of .357, mainly due to its versatility,abundance, power, and shooting even cheaper and more abundant .38 all day! (which saves the top strap, and your wrist as well)

My vet buddys set down their crazy tactical weapons and fought over who gets to shoot my cowboy revolver again! Quickdraws out of the holster and hip shots had them schoolgirl giddy! All that military training and no cowboy skills tsk tsk lol

10/22's especially in stock form, can be boring. I think its the gun not the caliber.

Lever/bolt actions seem to make .22 more fun. I think having to do something besides just repeatedly pull the trigger makes it more satisfying to shoot, and saves ammo! Same w single action revolvers, more fun/less ammo.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
He lost the .22lr cylinder, so we shot .22lr thru the .22mag cylinder and it worked fine...perhaps we were lucky that day.
Dad was trying to shoot a raccoon in a live trap with a 22mag cyl in his little .22 revolver with .22LR's.

It had enough blow by it couldn't hardly break the skin.

I just use mine to shoot varmints I catch and pop a couple holes in a old antifreeze jug for giggles once in awhile.

What's everyone's favorite gun they have?
Tough call. Probably my '58 Remington replica. I like all of them though.

What gun do regret parting with most?

Whats the worst thing you have seen done to a gun?
Whatever Marlin did when they built my 336C and then whatever they did when they tried to fix it before I returned it.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Forgive me Jackie Chan I couldn't think of the right word to cover it all, but meant which gun do you regret parting with as in sold, lost, stolen or "stolen", traded it, gifted it, broke it, ruined it etc...

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I guess my favorite right now is my CZ75B. But i don’t have many guns. So it almost wins by default. Second favorite is a Ruger .22 semi-auto with a tapered barrel. Fun to shoot.
I’d like a Henry rifle. Would like to get one in .17hmr. But the comments above about .357/.38 being cheap to shoot has me reconsidering.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Forgive me Jackie Chan I couldn't think of the right word to cover it all, but meant which gun do you regret parting with as in sold, lost, stolen or "stolen", traded it, gifted it, broke it, ruined it etc...
It is a one way street to my house. Aside from the POS I returned to Marlin the only "gun" I have gotten rid of/given away was the girl version of a Red-Ryder I bought for my wife.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals