• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Farm and Garden

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
People mention this and that about having gardens, post up what ya been up to here for everybody to see!

Today, I finished planting my 6 acres of corn.

Live long and prosper lil guy! (pink thing between the gauge wheels (left) and closing wheels (right) is a kernel of seed corn)

Just thumping along planting corn...

So anyway, post 'em up!

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
That's almost relaxing. What's a "Dicky John"?

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I mowed my dirt... Im thinking of adding a rock or old beer can to liven up the landscape?

Screenshot_20200513-135636_Gallery.jpg

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Funny... I was going to create a similar post to see what everyone else is doing for gardens and such. You beat me to it. All good... I will play along here.

I bought an electric corded tiller... can't believe I've been this long without one. This little guy did far better then I thought it would... the jury is still out on longevity. But it made short work of my gardens.

tiller.jpg

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Whoa! Did you get approval for that garden!?! :love:

My dad has that tiller. Been working for 3 years now which is way more than I thought it would.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That's almost relaxing. What's a "Dicky John"?
A planter monitor, they make a bunch of stuff. This one is probably from the 70's or 80's.

Each of those lights (the cover fell off one yesterday) represents one row. As a seed falls thru the seed tube (kind of a funnel from the metering mechanism to the ground) it passes thru a sensor that makes the light blink. So as long as all four are blinking all is right with the world, if not the light for the trouble row(s) lights solid and a really loud alarm goes off. The LED panel is supposed to count the population but that part doesn't work... can't have everything.

I was going slow because I was right beside the terrace and playing with my phone video recording. Usually I go faster than that, it can get kind of intense turning around on the ends. Slow the tractor down, raise the planter high enough to reset the markers, whip it around and line it up with the mark, drop the planter, make sure the correct marker is down and then back to cruising speed. It is fun once you get into the groove.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Picked up a new sweet corn planter... some assembly and resurrection required:

When it is all in one piece it will look something like this:

Mine doesn't have the fertilizer attachment (I don't care), the two big tanks to the back of it and associated bracketry/drive bits.

Two bolts and a pin hold the wheels on the rest of it, then I need some flat chain and to get a bunch of bits to free up. The hitch is also weird, I need to figure out how to get it mounted on one of my tractors too (minor detail) I thought it was for the old style WD hitch but looking more into those look different yet. I need to find a book on it...

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Is it just me or do all old farm implements look like they were created by Dr. Zeus's evil twin Larry...

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
People mention this and that about having gardens, post up what ya been up to here for everybody to see!

Today, I finished planting my 6 acres of corn.

Live long and prosper lil guy! (pink thing between the gauge wheels (left) and closing wheels (right) is a kernel of seed corn)

Just thumping along planting corn...

So anyway, post 'em up!
Wow, you don't see many folks using 2 cylinder JD's these days. Cool to see the old machines at work!

4.0blue98

I don't feel tardy...
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Round
My credo
It was like that when I found it.
Dang, you guys have some real firepower for your gardens. I have a little (maybe 10' by 25') plot. Right now I have a great crop of sunchokes and walking onions going. My horseradish is spreading. I trellised my hops and picked my spring radishes. Also ran over the small annual veggie section with my little Mantis Tiller. That thing has worked great for about 20 years now. Planted some squash seeds but have backup seedlings under a grow light just in case. I have some tomato seedlings to go in too. I battle deer, rabbits and voles every year so I keep my expectations low. This year they seem to be on a phlox and sedum kick. They always try to eat my tomatoes, peppers and even sunflower seedlings. Surprised they didn't mess with my radishes. I've slowly been figuring out what they don't bother and stick with that but their palates seem to evolve... :mad:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Is it just me or do all old farm implements look like they were created by Dr. Zeus's evil twin Larry...
Have a big zombie infestation? Just call John Deere!

disced up my small garden spot. Would love to have a 3-point tiller but they are hard to find used, pricey new and my allis-C needs a slower 1st gear to be useable with one. With the disc the Allis is very light on the front end, I hung (2) 90 pound case tractor weights on so I could steer. Have a minor issue with the hydraulics too, if I dont hold the control lever in “raise” position, the disc slowly lowers itself. I love the old equipment but sure would like to have live pto/hydraulics.
Dang are you still using the factory hydraulics with the little cylinder?

If so keep in mind that is "power lift" not really hydraulics. It is made to lift hand lift type stuff with hydraulics and isn't really for heavy three point work. The cylinder is only attached to the tractor by like a 1/2" pin welded on the seat frame... it is probably creeping down because the valves can't hold the weight. Does it work ok with like a snow blade?

I despise the hydraulics on my C. I go thru it, clean it up and get it working great. Go charging out in my field to cultivate and after half an hour it is dead, it found a new little piece of nothing to jam one of the many little checkballs in the pump/valve assembly. Gotta take the cultivator off the rockshaft, lock the rockshaft into transport mode and then push ahead each of the four pushrods (which lifts each gang) and reassemble it so I can limp it back to the house and pull it all back apart and try to flush out the transmission/axle cases again.

Reason #1 I seeked out a cultivator for my JD B, the hydraulics are much more resilient on it. The Allis C/B thing is kind of rinky dink IMO. The C is much more nimble than my B (which is still pretty nimble for its size) The C is a freaking riot when it works, with the wasp waist you can see EVERYTHING the cultivator is doing.

For a fix I am personally watching out for a hand lift rockshaft, I wanna keep mine kinda "correct". My sickle mower is already hand lift. For yours you could go to a PTO pump or I have heard of people adapting the live pump off of a small Farmall (A, B or C?) that goes between the distributor/magneto and governor. It does increase timing gear wear but it would also net live hydraulics.

I would really like a D-19 for twice as many gears as and more heft than my WD/WD-45... three gears on the C is kinda weak too. Third is worthless for working so basically it only has two. You could go to smaller rear tires to slow it down a little too.

Dang, you guys have some real firepower for your gardens. I have a little (maybe 10' by 25') plot. Right now I have a great crop of sunchokes and walking onions going. My horseradish is spreading. I trellised my hops and picked my spring radishes. Also ran over the small annual veggie section with my little Mantis Tiller. That thing has worked great for about 20 years now. Planted some squash seeds but have backup seedlings under a grow light just in case. I have some tomato seedlings to go in too. I battle deer, rabbits and voles every year so I keep my expectations low. This year they seem to be on a phlox and sedum kick. They always try to eat my tomatoes, peppers and even sunflower seedlings. Surprised they didn't mess with my radishes. I've slowly been figuring out what they don't bother and stick with that but their palates seem to evolve... :mad:
Wife wants a garden, "sure but it I am not going to be crawling around with a trowel and working the whole thing with a hoe" Kinda like using a Buick to kill a mosquito but it is fun. Usually it kinda coincides with what I am doing in the field so like if the disk is already on the tractor why mess with a tiller? kind of a thing.

It is funny, my parents live in town and have a terrible time with deer. They go nuts for mom's hostas. I live in the country and I rarely see a deer.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Good you got a cylinder then, I didn't know how that little guy was doing that much lol.

All I have for three point stuff is a snow blade and a boom. If I had the $$ I would have a snap-coupler blade too.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
I tried out the little cyl when I first got the tractor, had some sort of rockshaft for cultivators (I assume). it worked but leaks bad. Still have it, Never know but it could be a valuable part someday.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I tried out the little cyl when I first got the tractor, had some sort of rockshaft for cultivators (I assume). it worked but leaks bad. Still have it, Never know but it could be a valuable part someday.
You can tighten the nut around the ram to tighten the packing.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sweet corn is planted!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals