• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Wanted 1st gen fender flares or fenders stock or wider aftermarket

sexybluelady

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1994, 199
Make / Model
ford, mitsu, do
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just as the title states, I'm looking for either fender flares, or stock fenders or wide body aftermarket fenders. I am fixing the rust to pass inspection.
I have a 1988 ranger. And live in Western Massachusetts. Thanks

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
From what I can find, custom fit fender flares ended production sometime ago.
Since you say you have rust. Might look into these Bushwacker Flares.
If that's too rich for you, people have used various forms of plastic trim. (lawn edging, garage door seals, etc.)
There's also the junkyard option. I've been looking at 90's Jeep parts myself. Looks pretty close to the same curve as our fenders.

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
sexybluelady:

There are 3 ways I have extended my fenders;

1) I used Cove base material with thin Aluminum on the tire side for extra strength. Just bolted them on, worked for years, no beauty queen but lots of original.

2) I bought a set of flares from the yard off of a early 90's-late80's Jeep Cherokee (sorry, I don't remember the year). Didn't line up perfect and didn't extend out quite as far but still looked better than the cove Base set.

3) I finally gave in to the desire to feel cooler and dropped the piggy bank for the Bushwacker Cutouts. They don't work any better, their not as forgiving as the cove Base but do look better than either other attempt. In regards to longevity, they have been installed since 1998.

I have learn to used hex head sheet metal screws instead of the supplied blind rivit fasteners. With the rivits, sometimes they would pull a little tight, even with the gimp gasket and cause a crack. Using the hex heads, I apply some red lock tight and just let it be snug, not overly tight. Any cracks, just buff it up with fender washers, fixed ..)

Also, The BroncoGraveyard.com and James Duff LLC sell there own, new fender flare kits for your truck.

Last edited:

sexybluelady

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1994, 199
Make / Model
ford, mitsu, do
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Bushwacker has raised up their prices but the quality has fallen by a lot.
No yards around me have any old ford trucks. It's MA everything is rusted out.
Right now I am hoping that someone maybe more south of me has something that I can use.
I am experienced when it comes to body work, and am only going to do that as a last resort. Right now I am looking for quick and simple, either pick up some non rusted out fenders, or some flares and spend a few hours putting them on. If no one has anything used for sale, I'll spend the weekend welding in some patch panels, prime and paint.

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Here you go. I think these are $10 at Walmart and spray paint comes in any color. So probably $22 plus tax if you're desparate. Definitely a cheap fix if you need to get the tires within the flares. Enjoy!

Attachments

sexybluelady

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1994, 199
Make / Model
ford, mitsu, do
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Here you go. I think these are $10 at Walmart and spray paint comes in any color. So probably $22 plus tax if you're desparate. Definitely a cheap fix if you need to get the tires within the flares. Enjoy!
LOL, not that desperate yet haha. I may just cut up some 20ga sheet that I have laying around and fab up my own damn flares on my English wheel. I'm just being lazy...........:p

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
My credo
sexybluelady:

That's kind of fun to say 😳

If you are going to run anything larger than 28" rubber, and you are planning on welding custom fenders, I have a recommendation. Either use the Bushwacher (BW) template or make your own and cut the fenders back a little first.

I ran 30.5" Firestones with a 4" body lift with decent street clearance but even going the little bit more to 32", needed trimming and 2" suspension lift for reasonable fire road clearance.

Even triming at the fenders body line would work, since that is almost the BW line.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
James Duff just posted a feeler thing on facebook wanting to know if people wanted them to bring back flares for the BII which could probably be adapted to the Ranger... so if you have a little time you might see how that develops.

Who would like to see these flares available again? We could make it happen, we’re putting it out there to check interest. #bronco2sday #tailgatetuesday with a photobomb by one of the #dufftuffdoggies Ben back in #sequim #prerunnerbumper #nicerack #broncoii #bronco #bronco2 #fordbronco #broncoalso

sexybluelady

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1994, 199
Make / Model
ford, mitsu, do
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
sexybluelady:

That's kind of fun to say 😳

If you are going to run anything larger than 28" rubber, and you are planning on welding custom fenders, I have a recommendation. Either use the Bushwacher (BW) template or make your own and cut the fenders back a little first.

I ran 30.5" Firestones with a 4" body lift with decent street clearance but even going the little bit more to 32", needed trimming and 2" suspension lift for reasonable fire road clearance.

Even triming at the fenders body line would work, since that is almost the BW line.
Yea I ran 35" for a few years (broke d28 axles left and right, took them off after my 4th broken axle set) with 6" total lift, dropped down to 33" Mikey Tomps loved those ran those for many years until some hippie brats from my old college slashed my tires. Got 29" on there now just to roll around. I never had a problem with inspection until MA changed some laws around to get more money from people. I've made fenders flares before and made custom body parts (fiberglass). It's a long tedious project though. Sometimes you just don't feel like doing the work, lol I just feel like being lazy. Haven't been in my shop in weeks to build anything. I've been big into leather working.
Here's my project of my restoration car build, on my youtube channel. I had to make a custom bumper for this car, it was such a PITA. I'll give it another week or so, to see if anyone has anything. If not I'll drag my butt into the garage and pull out a sheet and just make my own I guess.

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
My credo
sexybluelady:

In the realm of frugality, those Covebase extensions I made didn't actually look bad. The worked GREAT!

As long as I've lived in Was, they have had the "oversized anything" requires both mud flaps and if the rubber extends even the slightest, JohnQ won't hesitate to pull me over. I am all about the solution when it comes to JohnQ, their job is hard enough without everyone pitching in.

When I did that set of flares, it didn't cost me $20 (4 sections of black cove Base, 40 empty Mountain Dew cans and stainless steel fasteners); I used them for 4 or so years without a hitch. I still have them lying around somewhere, so the amount of effort I put into the, made my fond enough to keep them, though I did falter to the peer pressure to upgrade for purely looks ..(

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
My credo
That is so F-d that your rubber was vandalized. SOME people, to have so little respect! I am angered.

sexybluelady

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1994, 199
Make / Model
ford, mitsu, do
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
sexybluelady:

In the realm of frugality, those Covebase extensions I made didn't actually look bad. The worked GREAT!

As long as I've lived in Was, they have had the "oversized anything" requires both mud flaps and if the rubber extends even the slightest, JohnQ won't hesitate to pull me over. I am all about the solution when it comes to JohnQ, their job is hard enough without everyone pitching in.

When I did that set of flares, it didn't cost me $20 (4 sections of black cove Base, 40 empty Mountain Dew cans and stainless steel fasteners); I used them for 4 or so years without a hitch. I still have them lying around somewhere, so the amount of effort I put into the, made my fond enough to keep them, though I did falter to the peer pressure to upgrade for purely looks ..(
Do you happen to have a pic of the extensions that you made by chance?

And yea I went to a college, where it was nothing but sheltered super rich wanna be save the planet brats, I was the token poor student for the colleges "diversity" stats. They thought the person who owned my truck was a completely different person. In their mind any lifted mud crawler must be owned by a racist dumb hill billy red neck nazi. And when they found out who owned the truck was the exact opposite and that they were oh so wrong, it turned into a hate crime and the college had to pay me off. It was a mess. They even busted out my windows with beer bottles and fucked with my gas. It was a nightmare. I was to poor to fix the damage for a year. So I had to take a six hour round trip on the public bus back home to school four times a week. I wanted to kill those kids, I built my truck with my bare hands working my ass off. Unlike those new porsche driving brats that have their parents buy them everything, never worked a day in their life or built anything with their own two hands. It boils my blood thinking about it again.

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
My credo
sbl:

It was semi gloss black 4" tall cove Base with the ¾" 90° lip for the floor. I started from the rear of each piece and fastened 1 trimmed Al can piece at a time, overlapping the next can piece about ¾". I used ¼" SS bolts, nylock nuts with ½" fender washers topside to spread out the holding force and to secure each section of metal to the rubber; one near the outer edge and the other around the lip as the attach point to the trucks fender.

No photos but I will dig around and take some when I locate the "fender extensions". I was going for the Bushwacher Cut-Out look, from 15' away ..)

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
I'd be interested in seeing that too. I'm having a hard time imagining it.

Cradh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I've got a set
I'm in michigan not sure on what shipping will cost. The guy that had them before me sprayed them with berliner so need some cleanup

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals