• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

84 2.8 leaking from oil filter or somewhere near/around it. Oil filter has droplets of oil when the motor is off.

MadMax_636

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
However much it goes up when I get my fat ass out.
Total Drop
How much it goes down when my fat ass gets in.
Tire Size
Dry rot and old
So, Ive replaced and sealed my valve cover gaskets and tightened the ever living poop out of them. So I'm Pretty sure its not leaking from there. I think it might be leaking from the oil filter itself or the adapter. I cant seem to track down the right gaskets or which ones to even buy.
The oil leak is pretty bad as its a constant drip when sitting still. It also drips onto the exhaust manifold. Which turns to smoke and gets into the cab and gives me a HUGE headache. I know its not oil blowby or from the tailpipe. Its coming from that oil leak onto the pipes.

4.0blue98

I don't feel tardy...
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Round
My credo
It was like that when I found it.
What type of valve cover gasket did you use? Did you follow torque specs? Often too tight is just as bad as too loose.

MadMax_636

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Dry rot and old
What type of valve cover gasket did you use? Did you follow torque specs? Often too tight is just as bad as too loose.
Yeah, I followed the torque specs and I also used RTV and I used the Rubber Fel Pro. As I heard they last longer and help with removal when adjusting the valves. I did check out under the valve covers when I tightened them up. I couldn't feel any wet or new oil around the rear of the heads.

4.0blue98

I don't feel tardy...
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Round
My credo
It was like that when I found it.
Seems unlikely the cover gaskets would be leaking. I'm not familiar with the oil filter position on the 2.8 but have you tried tightening or changing the oil filter? I've had them loosen a bit when run for a while. Could just be a bad gasket on the current one. I've also heard of someone who did a filter change and the old gasket stuck so they essentially doubled it up when they put the new one on. This was causing a pretty good leak.

Probably best to crawl under there with a good worklight and see if you can find the location. Seems like it should be easily visible if that much is leaking.

MadMax_636

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Dry rot and old
Seems unlikely the cover gaskets would be leaking. I'm not familiar with the oil filter position on the 2.8 but have you tried tightening or changing the oil filter? I've had them loosen a bit when run for a while. Could just be a bad gasket on the current one. I've also heard of someone who did a filter change and the old gasket stuck so they essentially doubled it up when they put the new one on. This was causing a pretty good leak.

Probably best to crawl under there with a good worklight and see if you can find the location. Seems like it should be easily visible if that much is leaking.
Yeah, im gonna do that tomorrow. Ill also see about tightening the oil filter as well. I know its not doubled up as I checked and cleaned off the making surface for the oil filter before installing the new one. I just wiped it down and I know the old gasket was still on the old filter. Ill also try and take a photo of the oil filter location. Its super easy to get to. Ive thought about doing a oil filter remote install as I can make it even easier to get too. Id also like to install some sort of oil cooler since the AC of coming out.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
On both my 2.9 and the 2.8 I have now, I have had to replace the o-ring between the filter adapter and the engine block. They get old and hard and do not seal well. You can also check to see if that large bolt that holds it to the block is tight. But I would replace the o-ring. Get ready, there is very little room to work up in there and it's a pretty large bolt (1 inch wrench I think? Or was it 15/16"?) Of course it's probably metric but you know how that goes sometimes, use what you have available.

MadMax_636

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Dry rot and old
On both my 2.9 and the 2.8 I have now, I have had to replace the o-ring between the filter adapter and the engine block. They get old and hard and do not seal well. You can also check to see if that large bolt that holds it to the block is tight. But I would replace the o-ring. Get ready, there is very little room to work up in there and it's a pretty large bolt (1 inch wrench I think? Or was it 15/16"?) Of course it's probably metric but you know how that goes sometimes, use what you have available.
Thanks! Which gasket brand should I get? On rock auto is shows oil filter adapter gasket and o-ring. Are they the same thing? Its just a litle confusing as they look the same. Im just wanting to know what I should get at the auto parts store. Since Im planning on changing my oil soon and Ill just do this while im at it.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I just looked this up again on Autozone. Part number 413 is a smaller Felpro o-ring that goes around the large bolt. Part number 72625 is the larger thinner o-ring that goes between the engine block and the adapter.

MadMax_636

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Dry rot and old
I just looked this up again on Autozone. Part number 413 is a smaller Felpro o-ring that goes around the large bolt. Part number 72625 is the larger thinner o-ring that goes between the engine block and the adapter.
My store doesnt have 72625 in stock. So Ill have to order it.... Is there an alternative o-ring I could use? I mean something thats the same size.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Nothing I know of. If you got to autozone's site, they have the id and od dimensions in the description. You are going to have to get used to this. With the 2.8 it's bad, with the 2.9 it's getting bad, there is not much demand for parts on these engines anymore, they do not keep much in stock for them. With the 2.8, they do not even keep them in the local warehouse, so instead of tomorrow you have to wait 2 to 3 days for it to come from a national warehouse.

MadMax_636

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Dry rot and old
Nothing I know of. If you got to autozone's site, they have the id and od dimensions in the description. You are going to have to get used to this. With the 2.8 it's bad, with the 2.9 it's getting bad, there is not much demand for parts on these engines anymore, they do not keep much in stock for them. With the 2.8, they do not even keep them in the local warehouse, so instead of tomorrow you have to wait 2 to 3 days for it to come from a national warehouse.

Yeah, I learned that when I originally had to replace my valve cover gaskets. Only one store had them which wasnt not very close... The 2.8 and 2.9 are awesome engines but its say the demand for parts is dropping. Rock auto or summit is the best place for parts. IMO. Then again, you have to order them..

MadMax_636

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Dry rot and old
Since youve done the job before. How do I even get to the bolt for the adapter. I cant see it but that could be because of all of the crap built up onto it. Its also covered by the manifold. Do I need remove the manifold or not? Id rather not but Im just trying to figure out how to get to this darn thing.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
I haven't replaced the oil filter mount O-rings on my 2.8L (yet!) or on my 2.9L for that matter, but on my 4.0L Explorer dropping the Y-pipe gave me enough access. Unfortunately, I don't think that there's an "easy" way to replace these O-rings. With age and heat, they definitely fail to some degree, and this is a common leak point.

FYI- My local parts store (an independent store) deals direct with the local Ford dealer. My parts store ordered them for me (for the '94 4.0) and the cost was a lot less than I expected, even buying though the parts store. I'm sure, and would expect, that they charged something for their trouble, but what I paid for the set (actual Ford parts) was reasonable.

MadMax_636

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Dry rot and old
I haven't replaced the oil filter mount O-rings on my 2.8L (yet!) or on my 2.9L for that matter, but on my 4.0L Explorer dropping the Y-pipe gave me enough access. Unfortunately, I don't think that there's an "easy" way to replace these O-rings. With age and heat, they definitely fail to some degree, and this is a common leak point.

FYI- My local parts store (an independent store) deals direct with the local Ford dealer. My parts store ordered them for me (for the '94 4.0) and the cost was a lot less than I expected, even buying though the parts store. I'm sure, and would expect, that they charged something for their trouble, but what I paid for the set (actual Ford parts) was reasonable.

Heres photos of it.
Ive got the parts off Rockauto.

Heres a photo of a clean block off of Summit of where and what it looks like. https://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/xlarge/vre-df83_wp_xl.jpg?rep=False

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Well, I checked what Ford manuals I have, and there's nothing specific on the R&R of the filter adapter for the 2.8L.

I don't know if you can clear the filter adapter's sole mounting bolt with the exhaust Y-pipe in place. On a 4.0, with the Y-pipe dropped changing these O-rings is easy; but believe me, I do know that dealing with old exhaust bolts can really suck a big one. The bolt is hollow, so go easy on it; its torque spec is listed as 15-30 ft-lbs.

Good luck!

1984 2.8L intro training manual:

And the 1984 Ranger and Bronco II shop manual:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals