• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Has anyone stroked there 2.9?

Paulos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 STX
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
WHAT!?!?!
@Dirtman,
If you were referring to my comment on valve stem heights (which will affect valve spring height and valve train geometry) and old (weak) valve springs, I wouldn't care if I was slapping together an old 2.9 in an old Ranger beater. But that's not the case. Sinking the valves or excessively grinding them increases valve stem height, which in turn increases valve spring height. If you compensate by grinding the valve stem tips and install shims under the springs, it's not a problem. But most shops don't take the time to do this. Randomly sinking or excessively grinding the valves will give you an unequal (unbalanced) combustion chamber volume. I'm spending a lot of money rebuilding this 2.9, so I'm going to do it right. An uneven combustion chamber volume (compression), floating valves at high RPM due to weak or improperly compressed valve springs, and uneven valve train geometry due to excessive tolerances of valve stem heights, is not something I want from the start in a new build. Yeah, I'm not building a dragster (hmm... a 2.9 in a dragster; I'll have to run this by PetroleumJunkie412), but why not do it right before the engine is assembled? The peace of mind of spending a few dollars for new springs, valves, and retainers is worth it to me.

1987ranger12394

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
@Dirtman,
If you were referring to my comment on valve stem heights (which will affect valve spring height and valve train geometry) and old (weak) valve springs, I wouldn't care if I was slapping together an old 2.9 in an old Ranger beater. But that's not the case. Sinking the valves or excessively grinding them increases valve stem height, which in turn increases valve spring height. If you compensate by grinding the valve stem tips and install shims under the springs, it's not a problem. But most shops don't take the time to do this. Randomly sinking or excessively grinding the valves will give you an unequal (unbalanced) combustion chamber volume. I'm spending a lot of money rebuilding this 2.9, so I'm going to do it right. An uneven combustion chamber volume (compression), floating valves at high RPM due to weak or improperly compressed valve springs, and uneven valve train geometry due to excessive tolerances of valve stem heights, is not something I want from the start in a new build. Yeah, I'm not building a dragster (hmm... a 2.9 in a dragster; I'll have to run this by PetroleumJunkie412), but why not do it right before the engine is assembled? The peace of mind of spending a few dollars for new springs, valves, and retainers is worth it to me.
I ordered my new heads from rock auto they were great quality I've got 200 miles on them so far

1987ranger12394

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
There are sellers on eBay that sell new heads. I would ask regarding the valves and springs though. The last pair I got from J & C clearly had used/reground valves (different valve stem heights and valve head heights in nearly all 6 cylinders), and most likely used springs also. I'll probably get new valves and springs before I assemble my 2.9.
Tom manora sells heavy duty heads

bigro 007

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
did the guy who was doing a 3.5 liter with .5 inch spacer finish his engine and did it run?
bigro 007 and where can i get a set of world wide 2.9 head ? i have heard they are hard to find if not is there another company who does them with the same kind of performance thank

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
did the guy who was doing a 3.5 liter with .5 inch spacer finish his engine and did it run?
bigro 007 and where can i get a set of world wide 2.9 head ? i have heard they are hard to find if not is there another company who does them with the same kind of performance thank
Are you talking the 3.5 stroker (2.9/4.0hybrid) i mentioned earlier? If so, unfourtantly no. Theres no more evidence of it and i never heard it run. This was probably back in 02-03 when he was around. IIRC it was a 4.0crank/rods, 3.3L mopar pistons, shoved in a 2.9L block and using 2.9 upper end.

Also, world product 2.9 heads got discontinued in 2011. Good luck find any.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
I'm running promaxx. Good set.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Fair enough. Ran them for a year before teardown. They did well.

bigro 007

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Are you talking the 3.5 stroker (2.9/4.0hybrid) i mentioned earlier? If so, unfourtantly no. Theres no more evidence of it and i never heard it run. This was probably back in 02-03 when he was around. IIRC it was a 4.0crank/rods, 3.3L mopar pistons, shoved in a 2.9L block and using 2.9 upper end.

Also, world product 2.9 heads got discontinued in 2011. Good luck find any.
Yeah but i heard that the later ford 2.9 head in europe were build the same way does any one know about this or not at all

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Which one? The 12 valve or the 24 valve? There are many versions of each.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals