• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Clutch hydraulic issues i think

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
@pjtoledo
@scotts90ranger
Thanks for stepping in, I forgot a lot of stuff I should have mentioned.

The master should have a rubber gasket that goes on top before the lid screws back on. If its missing then the brake fluid absorbs moisture from the air and rust forms where ever there is steel, like the slave cylinder. Then the seals wear out and things start leaking.

Kiyp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Master isn't horrible, it's been almost a decade since I've done it (I think 2011 or 2012). The hard part can be getting the quick release at the transmission to release, if it's clean and the sleeve is in place for the quick release just push it inward evenly (I have a tool somewhere, but never know where when I need it) while pushing in on the line a little. Once that's off climb under the dash and try to get the linkage off the pedal, the black bushing clip can be a pain but basically lift the 4 nubs out of the slot and it should slide off, then get the switch off the linkage, there's a white plastic slider that comes off to slide over the link then the switch comes off. Then on the firewall there's 2 or 3 nuts I believe or bolts into the firewall, I don't remember. Pull the whole assembly out the top after you unbolt the reservoir. From there there's a roll pin holding the clutch line to the master, take that out with a pin punch then put the line in the new master (I would drain the old fluid out first, stick it upside down and push something clean into the valve on the quick release end). Now fill it with fluid and press the piston on the new master a bunch of times until it is solid, keep checking the fluid level. Once it is solid it is fully bled, reinstall into the vehicle and put everything back where you found it...
I will have to keep this thread open for the tips you have given me, ill let you guys know how it turned out when i have finished the replacement, sadly next paycheck doesn't come in for another week and a half, at least i was planning to do my breaks with this paycheck so ill already be removing the wheel, removing the wheel well to get at the MC wont be so bad i suppose

Kiyp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
@pjtoledo
@scotts90ranger
Thanks for stepping in, I forgot a lot of stuff I should have mentioned.

The master should have a rubber gasket that goes on top before the lid screws back on. If its missing then the brake fluid absorbs moisture from the air and rust forms where ever there is steel, like the slave cylinder. Then the seals wear out and things start leaking.
Gotchya so i need to replace that gasket asap as well to prevent further damage and i already would have had to drain everything so this doesn't make much of a difference to that

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
The master cylinder gasket is the big diaphragm on top, did it have that?

No need to get the inner fender out I don't think, but I haven't looked that close at my '97... no non related parts were removed when I did it for my '90 and the '91 Explorer I had...

Some of it is fresh from working on my F350 a few days ago... :). But being a bled unit and external slave it's somewhat different...

If you keep up on the fluid level you can probably hold off for a while, maybe wrap a rag around the linkage sensor, brake fluid is gross and eats paint, don't want your floor to rust away in the florida salty humidity...

Kiyp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
The master cylinder gasket is the big diaphragm on top, did it have that?

No need to get the inner fender out I don't think, but I haven't looked that close at my '97... no non related parts were removed when I did it for my '90 and the '91 Explorer I had...

Some of it is fresh from working on my F350 a few days ago... :). But being a bled unit and external slave it's somewhat different...

If you keep up on the fluid level you can probably hold off for a while, maybe wrap a rag around the linkage sensor, brake fluid is gross and eats paint, don't want your floor to rust away in the florida salty humidity...
I think it probably took months for it too leak that low so i dont think i have to worry about what little will leak over the next 2 weeks, sadly it seems the inner fender does have to come off, from what ive read its possible to get at it from above but both from experience reaching to where it is (i dropped a relay in that general area that got so deep i will likely never get it again and i also rather ironically dropped the reservoir cap down there while i was checking the fluid earlier and had to get it out) and from what ive read you will have no way to see what you're doing and you will have to contort around many wires and other things, having just done the spark plugs on my 2.5l engine i do not want to do anything that involves contorting in small spaces to grab and pull at things i cannot see again anytime soon (2 of them are underneath the intake manifold on the 2.5l engine if you didnt know and it took me hours to change them), sorry for the long message im bad at condensing things

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals