• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Safety Recall For Select 2019 Ford Rangers For Blower Motor Issue

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
DEARBORN, Mich., March 11, 2020 – Ford Motor Company is issuing a safety recall for select 2019 Ford Ranger vehicles. Affected vehicles had the heating, ventilation and air conditioning, or HVAC, blower motor replaced from Oct. 9 to Nov. 22, 2019, per recall 19S34.

The replacement part used for that service may have been built with an improper clearance between an electrical terminal and the conductive base-plate slot that could result in a resistive electrical short. This condition can increase the risk of the HVAC blower motor overheating, melting, smoking or causing a fire.

Ford is not aware of any reports of accident, injury or fire related to this condition.

This action affects vehicles that were previously repaired per safety recall 19S34: 5,384 in the U.S. and federal territories and 418 in Canada.

Affected vehicles were built at Michigan Assembly Plant from Aug. 1 to Sept. 27, 2019. Dealers will inspect the HVAC blower-motor date code. Blower motors built within the suspect time frame will be replaced. The Ford reference number for this recall is 20S12.

sheep herder

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
If it ain't broke, break it.
They're recalling a recall? :icon_confused:

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Only Ford could issue a recall to recall a recalled product LOL.

Frozen_Ice

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
3.0 L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
P225/70R15
My credo
Have your pets spayed and neutered

RangerNumber3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
My Ranger goes back to the dealer on Monday (March 30) to check the date code on the replacement blower motor.
Dealer checked the date code on the replacement blower motor and said it was okay. Hope that's the end of it.

Last edited:

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
Not aware of any reports of accidents, injuries, or fires? Or they just aren't admitting to them? I'm going with not admitting to them. Seems the recalls keep getting worse the more and more automation that is put into the production lines, and the electronics that are added year after year....why can't we just teach people how to drive instead of installing safety nannies for those who can't...that would alleviate a lot of recalls right off the top. Then they could get back to building trucks that the tailgates fall off, instead of exploding airbags LOL.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Not aware of any reports of accidents, injuries, or fires? Or they just aren't admitting to them? I'm going with not admitting to them. Seems the recalls keep getting worse the more and more automation that is put into the production lines, and the electronics that are added year after year....why can't we just teach people how to drive instead of installing safety nannies for those who can't...that would alleviate a lot of recalls right off the top. Then they could get back to building trucks that the tailgates fall off, instead of exploding airbags LOL.
The govt tracks this stuff.

Not sure how you can train somebody to drive better and alleviate overheating blower motors...

At any rate it isn't as bad as a first gen that can set itself on fire from leaves falling down the big leaf eater cowl slots and coming in direct contact with the blower motor resistor...

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
The govt tracks this stuff.

Not sure how you can train somebody to drive better and alleviate overheating blower motors...

At any rate it isn't as bad as a first gen that can set itself on fire from leaves falling down the big leaf eater cowl slots and coming in direct contact with the blower motor resistor...
My 87 Ranger I think sat under a tree for several months...err like 4 years considering the junk I found inside the blower housing, you'd think that there would be a cover over that to keep stuff from getting in there. Newer vehicles they just install an air filter to collect all that crap and block airflow LOL. They've yet to actually fix the problem they just covered it up with an over-priced air filter that severely restricts air flow, at least that's what the case was with my 08 Toyota Tundra, after about a week it would be plugged up, I finally just took the filter out as it wasn't doing any good the interior was still full of dust even with driving around without the windows down that air filter for the cabin doesn't seem to stop anything except leaves but supposed to be a charcoal filter....it wasn't LOL.

Government claims they track everything yet can't keep track of themselves and where they were an hour ago.

If people wouldn't drive like morons we wouldn't have fully electronified vehicles full of electrical and electronic nannies to fail. The blower motor issue most likely has to do with cheap Chinese sourced parts possibly contaminated with Corona Virus and Swine Flu residue.

1986RangerXL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Can confirm this

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
Can confirm this
When I pulled everything off the plenum on my 87 Ranger there was a couple of maple seeds stuck in the resistor...not sure if that played a role in only having high speed on the fan, but probably a great start to it, couldn't believe all the crap I found in that plenum. I wonder if there's a way to install some sort of screen over that inlet?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
They fixed it in 89 with the small round holes instead of the big slots, you have to remove the windshield and drill a bunch of spotwelds but it is a drop in part.

If you have A/C the evaporator acts like a filter and keeps stuff out of the resistor... but A/C and blower motor function suffers obviously.

The big slots was a flat out Ford design flaw, the switches and blower motors on the new ones are minor and could even be a supplier issue.

Last edited:

1986RangerXL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
When I pulled everything off the plenum on my 87 Ranger there was a couple of maple seeds stuck in the resistor...not sure if that played a role in only having high speed on the fan, but probably a great start to it, couldn't believe all the crap I found in that plenum. I wonder if there's a way to install some sort of screen over that inlet?
Mine was parked under a pine tree until we got the parts truck taken away. I turned the defrost on when out on a test drive and it started smoking lol. Maybe just window screen under it if you dont want to change it out for the improved one

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
Mine was parked under a pine tree until we got the parts truck taken away. I turned the defrost on when out on a test drive and it started smoking lol. Maybe just window screen under it if you dont want to change it out for the improved one
So someone made a screen or cover for the plenum intake? Any links or info on this would be great. Its even worse when you turn the fan on high on vent and get hit in the face with whatever happened to be in that plenum and got sucked through the blower LOL.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals