• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Borla Exhaust Recommendations for a 4.0L OHV

projectRanger93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger STX
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75-R15
Finally found and bought Borla headers for my 93 4.0L OHV. I'm now looking at exhaust systems, and I would like a Borla exhaust.
Currently I have a stock single setup, but am interested in setting up a true split-side duel or a catback duel. What are the pros/cons to going with either setup?
What muffler models do you recommend, for either a si/so, si/do, or a true duel?
What pipe diameter is recommended for a deep growl?
Anyone have any pictures, videos, or reviews of their setup?

Thanks in advance!

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Due to space considerations, Rangers don't lend themselves well to a true dual exhaust. From what I've seen, everything with dual tips is from the catalytic converter back.

projectRanger93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger STX
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75-R15
Been doing more research, and I've seen that. So i might go with catbacks afterall and i might change my opinion on only Borla. Seems like the flowmaster 40 is louder compared to borla for this truck.

I've also looked at this one from summit racing: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-680016

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
If you can afford stainless, I would go that route. In the end, you'll end up spending the about same amount of money, it will just be broken up into separate payments since you'll need to replace the exhaust more often with aluminized. I got tired of replacing exhaust systems every few years.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
My son swears by Flowmasters, I think they sound like a hollow tin can. If the Borla system is too expensive I'd consider either Magnaflow, Dynomax Ultra flow or a Jones Max Flow. They're all perforated core stainless steel mufflers, I've got Max Flows on my 302 Mustang and 351 Ranger, they sound good and don't drone me out of the car like the Flowmaster 50 series did. The Flowmaster did have a nice rumble at idle, though. I used a Dynomax mandrel bent 2 1/4" tailpipe on my Ranger, my Mustang has a custom bent single 2 1/2" system. I previously had headers and a 2 1/4" dual system on it and didn't notice any power difference with manifolds and the bigger single system. I would think 2 1/4" would be plenty for a 4.0, the engine doesn't care how many tailpipes you have as long as the flow is sufficient.

projectRanger93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger STX
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75-R15
If you can afford stainless, I would go that route. In the end, you'll end up spending the about same amount of money, it will just be broken up into separate payments since you'll need to replace the exhaust more often with aluminized. I got tired of replacing exhaust systems every few years.
Thanks for the suggestion! Yeah stainless steel all the way, but out here there's minimal rust so even if I didn't, I wouldn't have to worry for a long while.

My son swears by Flowmasters, I think they sound like a hollow tin can. If the Borla system is too expensive I'd consider either Magnaflow, Dynomax Ultra flow or a Jones Max Flow. They're all perforated core stainless steel mufflers, I've got Max Flows on my 302 Mustang and 351 Ranger, they sound good and don't drone me out of the car like the Flowmaster 50 series did. The Flowmaster did have a nice rumble at idle, though. I used a Dynomax mandrel bent 2 1/4" tailpipe on my Ranger, my Mustang has a custom bent single 2 1/2" system. I previously had headers and a 2 1/4" dual system on it and didn't notice any power difference with manifolds and the bigger single system. I would think 2 1/4" would be plenty for a 4.0, the engine doesn't care how many tailpipes you have as long as the flow is sufficient.
I looked into the flow master 40, but I haven't been convinced with any youtube videos. I will look into the other brands thanks! And good, I wasnt sure if I should go bigger in pipe size or if it'll have any noticeable difference.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
I had borla headers on my 90 4.0l with a high flow cat and a flowmaster 40 2” single in/dual 2” outs. I ran out of time building it and drove home with it dumped after the muffler... that was one of the most obnoxious thing I’ve ever heard.
Flowmaster recommends are least 18” of tailbpipe after the muffler, so I ran the pipes out in front of the right rear tire. It sounded good, not very raspy... just a little when you got near the limiter.
I’ve installed quite a few exhaust systems over the years and I like the sound of Flowmasters, but I love the sound of a Borla exhaust. They don’t have the drone a flowmaster has. I’ve never heard (other then a video and that’s usually worthless because they’re all sound the same) a Borla muffler on a 4.0l, so I can’t comment on the sound... but going by others I’ve heard, you can’t go wrong with Borla.

Fun side note: My daughter took a nap every time we went anywhere in that truck, now at 10 years old that flowmaster drone puts her right to sleep... But she’s also slept through a session of NHRA top fuel dragster and top fuel funny car.

JOLENE_THE_RANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i was going to start a thread for this product but i figured id plug it here.
i made a few flanges for building an exhaust from the y pipe back if youre interested in removing feral cats from your truck ;)
its a weird flange there with an oval tube and all. ill be selling just the flange, or a flange with an oval to round reducer welded to it. all stainless of course.
i did this on mine, and run a 2.5" tube with a nice magnaflow muffler and it sounds really good and deep. ill try to post a sound clip if i can find one. i have stock exhaust manifolds though

Attachments

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Keep in mind that removing the cat is illegal and will prevent an OBD II truck from running right, it may stay in limp home mode. Also if you leave it in place it will act like a resonator so you'll need less muffler to get the same sound. A high flow cat may be worth doing but I'd price it and examine the original cat first. If you remove it and look through it with a light on the other side you can see if it has obstructions or melted areas indicating the need to replace it anyway.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
i made a few flanges for building an exhaust from the y pipe back if youre interested in removing feral cats from your truck ;)
its a weird flange there with an oval tube and all. ill be selling just the flange, or a flange with an oval to round reducer welded to it. all stainless of course.
i did this on mine, and run a 2.5" tube with a nice magnaflow muffler and it sounds really good and deep. ill try to post a sound clip if i can find one. i have stock exhaust manifolds though
Nice. Wish I had that when I did my exhaust a few years ago. That oval flange is a pain.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yah, on LightningRodder.com, we call them Blowmasters. LOL!!

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Keep in mind that removing the cat is illegal and will prevent an OBD II truck from running right, it may stay in limp home mode. Also if you leave it in place it will act like a resonator so you'll need less muffler to get the same sound. A high flow cat may be worth doing but I'd price it and examine the original cat first. If you remove it and look through it with a light on the other side you can see if it has obstructions or melted areas indicating the need to replace it anyway.
I don't even have a muffler on mine. Cut the exhaust off behind the cat. Welded a bent Y onto cat. Slipped two hollow stainless steel tips onto the Y. They exit in front of the passenger tire. Yeah, it's loud. Doesn't have the big turndown dumps on them anymore. They were extremely difficult to keep clean. Always rusting. Ditched em.

Far as the cat, many Lightning owners have them removed and the trucks run just fine. Buy a handheld tuner with the cats deleted in the tune, no check engine light. My Lightning and Ranger both have the EGR and all the crap associated with it deleted. Both currently showing a CE light. Both run awesome. I will be purchasing a tuner for the Lightning with the EGR deleted in the tune soon.

Attachments

Last edited:

projectRanger93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger STX
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75-R15
I had borla headers on my 90 4.0l with a high flow cat and a flowmaster 40 2” single in/dual 2” outs. I ran out of time building it and drove home with it dumped after the muffler... that was one of the most obnoxious thing I’ve ever heard.
Flowmaster recommends are least 18” of tailbpipe after the muffler, so I ran the pipes out in front of the right rear tire. It sounded good, not very raspy... just a little when you got near the limiter.
I’ve installed quite a few exhaust systems over the years and I like the sound of Flowmasters, but I love the sound of a Borla exhaust. They don’t have the drone a flowmaster has. I’ve never heard (other then a video and that’s usually worthless because they’re all sound the same) a Borla muffler on a 4.0l, so I can’t comment on the sound... but going by others I’ve heard, you can’t go wrong with Borla.

Fun side note: My daughter took a nap every time we went anywhere in that truck, now at 10 years old that flowmaster drone puts her right to sleep... But she’s also slept through a session of NHRA top fuel dragster and top fuel funny car.
Thanks for the advice. Do you remember how it was installing your headers? Did those make any noticeable difference?
I had Borla axle-backs on my V6 mustang, and i loved the sound. I switched to Corsa quads on my newer v8 mustang, and that brand is also great. I've read that people have used the Borla turbo muffler (aka pro x/s), but i haven't found any videos. I did hear those were quieter than the flowmaster, but i'm not leaning towards quiet here.

Yeah post the link when you get a sound clip going! I'd be interested in hearing it.
I thought you bought headers yourself? Or am i thinking of someone else...

I intend to keep my cat since CA is anal about having it here. Did you see the link i posted above from summit racing? It was basically straight pipes with a tip resonator. I figure that will potentially give me a decent sound since the cat does indeed muffle the sound on its own.

projectRanger93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger STX
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75-R15
I don't even have a muffler on mine. Cut the exhaust off behind the cat. Welded a bent Y onto cat. Slipped two hollow stainless steel tips onto the Y. They exit in front of the passenger tire. Yeah, it's loud. Doesn't have the big turndown dumps on them anymore. They were extremely difficult to keep clean. Always rusting. Ditched em.

Far as the cat, many Lightning owners have them removed and the trucks run just fine. Buy a handheld tuner with the cats deleted in the tune, no check engine light. My Lightning and Ranger both have the EGR and all the crap associated with it deleted. Both currently showing a CE light. Both run awesome. I will be purchasing a tuner for the Lightning with the EGR deleted in the tune soon.
Did you make the bent pipe yourself or did you buy it somewhere? Do you have a sound clip by chance? I was interested in having dual out but behind both rear tires.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Thanks for the advice. Do you remember how it was installing your headers? Did those make any noticeable difference?
I had Borla axle-backs on my V6 mustang, and i loved the sound. I switched to Corsa quads on my newer v8 mustang, and that brand is also great. I've read that people have used the Borla turbo muffler (aka pro x/s), but i haven't found any videos. I did hear those were quieter than the flowmaster, but i'm not leaning towards quiet here.
The install wasn’t bad. Be careful, the manifold bolts like to break. Pull the inner wheel wells for room to get straight at everything.
I can’t tell you if there was any power difference, I put my truck down for a week and did the full exhaust, 3.73 gears, MSD DIS-4, throttle body, mass air, etc. I can tell you it made a difference in the sound.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals