• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Project "Slippery Slope" - 2011 FX4

PNW Paul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3" New Torsion Keys, Added Rear Leaf Springs (Suspension Only)
Tire Size
285 75R 16
Purchased my lower mileage (65,000 M) Ranger in 2018, it was the FX4 with manual transmission, Rancho 5000 shocks, 4.10 gearing with a limited slip, and had a factory tonneau cover. Previous owner installed a Magnaflow cat-back exhaust and K&N air filter kit.

Here it is when I brought it home:
Ranger Oblique (FEB 18).JPG

I do most of my commuting by motorcycle, so the Ranger is not a daily driver, but used like most pick-up trucks: yardwork, hauling gear, etc. After almost two years of ownership, wanted to make a few upgrades. So although only having the Ranger for two years, am familiar with the RBV line as I owned a first generation Explorer that I had set up for trail running for 25 years. That rig was well set up: ARBs rear and front, Atlas II transfer case, roll cage, etc., but the plan was not to replicate that vehicle.

So the goal for this project was just to set up this vehicle for over-landing, and to that end it meant mild lift, slightly larger tires, and some lighting upgrades.

Simple enough, right ? ? ?

So at the start of the new year added new torsion keys and rear blocks in order to reduce the front rake. Also swapped out the original Rancho's for a new set with a few more inches of travel. The tires were a bit undersized for the lift, but had plans on swapping those out in short order.

Post keys and blocks:
Driver Oblique (FEB 20).jpg

Stay tuned,
Paul

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Nice looking truck! I wasn't aware that FX4 package trucks were available in 2011. Are you from Canada? How much are you thinking on the lift? 1.5" - 2"? Anyway, welcome to the forum. We'll hash out the details later. :)

PNW Paul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
285 75R 16
Interesting comment on Canada - - I'm close (Tacoma WA), but the truck is a Canadian version - - daytime running lights and all. I was not aware that the FX4 wasn't available in the States for the last year of the production run, so thanks for that. . .

The keys allow for 1" - 3" of lift and the blocks are two inches. Possible upgrade in the future will include a set of Explorer rear leaf springs to provide another rear-end boost.

Fast forward from the mild lift and new shocks at the start of the year to this past week. Went round and round on trying to find a spare set of either Ranger 16" rims or Explorer 17" rims for the Ranger. The current smallish tires on the OEM rims are snow tires, so wanted an all-terrain tire as I plan on hitting the easy and moderate trails in Moab this Spring and might as well keep the snow tires mounted.

Ended up with a new set of Pro Comp Bandido rims in 16"x8" for a decent price from 4WP. Tires are Cepek Fun Country II's sized 285/75/16, also decently priced and mounted from 4WP.

Here's a picture from yesterday:
Wheels.1 (MAR 20).jpg

But had an issue with 4WP, more to follow.
Paul

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
It sounds like you have what we call the pre-2008 torsion bar keys and axle blocks then. The US models got 3/4”-1” axle blocks and re-indexed keys to lower the truck for better handling and gas mileage. I’m in the process of acquiring all the parts to change that.

It sounds like you got a real winner there. Pretty much the best Ford had to offer in the Ranger.

Yes, the Canadian question was spurred on because of the options you got in the truck. The best that was offered in the US for 2011 was the Sport. It had those rims and the fender flares but no LSD. I can’t say one way or the other on the 4.10:1 gears.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Good-lookin truck!

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
That's looking pretty good. No clearance issue with those 285's?

I bought my wheels and tires from 4WP.... along with a couple other things. They've been pretty good to me... curious to hear what problems you had there.

PNW Paul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
285 75R 16
Sandman - The front rake was pretty extreme, although not captured well in that first "stock" picture, and the tires that came with the truck were downsized 245/75/16s instead of OEM 255/75/16s. The data card identified the 4.10's and rear axle Limited Slip, but haven't popped off the diff cover to confirm . . . "Feels" like a LS back there, but limited off-roading in this rig so far.

Gump - Not a rant against 4W Parts, every shop is different, but the one here is very Jeep centric (no surprise there), and most other work appears to revolve around outfitting brand new trucks with lift and tire packages and turning them back to dealers . . . Let's just say I was glad I printed off the prices from the 4WP website when I went in to place the order in person as they attempted to "upcharge" me on everything. . . So had them mount the tires and ran over to pick them and threw them in the Ranger to bring home. Didn't notice this until unloading the wheels at the house:
Rim Repair.1 (MAR 20).jpg

The "bolts" are just a design feature, but difficult to believe this went unnoticed at the shop. . . So in defense of 4WP, I didn't give them the opportunity to fix this - - but since I left the shop before noting the broken-off bolt, and already confronting them with the "upcharges" at the outset, figured I'd just "sack up" and chalk it up to failure on my end for proper inspection before acceptance.

But, I'm skilled enough to fix this. . . And, thought the flat black was too flat, so addressed this as well. . .
Rim Repair.2 (MAR 20).jpg

Close inspection shows the grade markings on the sacrificial bolt I used to make the repair.

As for the clearance, I get a rub near full lock on the front end. And although the rig is not flexy, will get some stuffing issues when out on the trail. But along the lines of the plan for this vehicle, mild lift and accommodations for overlanding, not hard core trail use. . . (for now).

Close up of the new wheels mounted.
Wheel Front (MAR 20).jpg

Lights and Line-X up next,
Paul

Last edited:

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Is it rubbing on both sides at full lock? I found on the passenger side, there were a couple nubs that aren’t on the driver’s side wheel well liner. Cutting those off with a Dremel fixed the problem. On the driver’s side there is a hump in the wheel liner that can only be fixed with a lift or a cut and patch job. I suspect there may be something there that required the hump. So pre-key mod, here I come. I did have the trim a little on the driver’s side wheel well liner a little too.

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Nice truck. I think the wheels would look better without the bolt heads molded to the rim.... But that's just me. It's like they were trying to make them look like bead lock wheels.

PNW Paul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
285 75R 16
Between adding the torsion keys/rear blocks (December) and mounting the new wheel/tire combo (March), added a few lighting upgrades. Since overlanding is the objective for this vehicle, don't even plan on adding upgraded bumpers (yet), so a front bumper that's winch capable with tabs for lights wasn't even on the shopping list; however I did want some additional lighting both front and rear.

For the front I went with a AUTOSAVER88 24" Triple Row Curved LED Light Bar:
Ranger Front LED 'On' (FEB 20).jpg

Here's an overhead shot of curved radius - pretty good match for the curve of the front bumper:
Front LED Top View (FEB 20).jpg

For the rear, always liked the flush-mounted flood lights, not wired to reverse, but on a separate switch. Selected the OFFROADTOWN 5'' 78W Lights:
Ranger Rear LED 'On' (FEB 20).jpg

Pretty easy to cut into the fender, just drill and jigsaw. Also relocated the trailer plug from dangling under the frame to the bumper (to the right of driver side light, left of license plate).

Since I live in the US epicenter of the Wuhan / COVID-19 virus (western Washington State), got a chance to tele-work this week. Results of that include:
Raptor Lights (MAR 20).jpg

RAPTOR LIGHTS !
I added the metal grill inserts last year which made mounting the amber LEDs easy. Badge to the right of the Ford oval says "SOHC"

Sandman - To some degree, these tires will be "self-clearancing", meaning that what ever they rub up against, they'll wear through it or I'll eventually get around to cutting. . . soft parts anyway. . .

Stranger - Plenty of faux bead locks out there that look way cheesier than these, but anyone who ever put a Ranger in four wheel "low" will know in an instant those aren't bead locks . . . and while I don't really care for the "bolts", I went with the cheapest aluminum rims I could find in 16"x8".

More to be revealed,
Paul

Assocracer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
What did you use to paint the wheels? I'm thinking of painting my factory wheels. I've got an 11 like your so I have the same wheels yours came with but they are starting to show the 110,000 miles worth of wear.

PNW Paul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
285 75R 16
What did you use to paint the wheels? I'm thinking of painting my factory wheels.
I used Rustoleum "Textured" which has a slight texture and I'd say the finish is "satin" - - not flat or matte, and certainly not semi-gloss or gloss.
Rustoleum.jpg

Might want to check with someone more knowledgeable than me before shooting the OEM rims, don't know if you'd need to strip off or scuff all the remaining clearcoat in order to get proper adhesion from the rattle can. My new rims barely needed scotch-brighting and the paint adhered well.

Good luck,
Paul

PNW Paul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
285 75R 16
Since on the subject of paint, will address the use of Line-X. The bed was scuffed up and had a few minor dents, and although I've used Hercu-Liner and Monsta-Liner with pretty good results, Line-X or Rhino Liner always looks a whole lot better.

I also like experimenting with different features on new and older versions of the Ranger, and like the idea of the letter "inserts" that are sold aftermarket to the 5th generation Rangers to fit into the tailgate. No plans to apply them to the tailgate, but thought they'd look good in the bed.

Think I was right:
Ranger Bed.1 (FEB 20).jpg

And I thought they would look even better "murdered out" after having the Line-X applied. So fixed the dents and turned the truck over to a local shop.
Like the results:
Ranger Bed Line-X.1 (FEB 20).jpg

Money shot:
Ranger Bed Line-X  Pass. (FEB 20).jpg

Knocking out some wiring this weekend, so stay tuned,
Paul

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
My local 4WP store manager was totally good with web pricing... I even did a bit better then web pricing when it was done. They wanted my dollars flowing through their brick and mortar. I would have said something about the wheels... but it looks like you got around it.

I painted a set of lawn chairs with that textured paint... it felt like sitting on sand paper. Hopefully you will find that they clean well and will hold up to the heat generated from the brakes. I would think because of the texture it would want to hang onto the dirt/brake dust. Will be curious down the road if you think it was the right choice in paint.

Tires have come a long way since I ran Fun Country tires... they worked well off road. But... they were some wobbly un-balanceable S.O.B's. That was back in the 80's... I'm sure they're leaps and bounds ahead of what I had. I bought the Trail Country EXP's... and happy so far with a big question about snow worthiness... we just didn't get much this year.

You've hinted to a front bumper upgrade... all I will say is it will take your truck from Ranger... to RANGER. Don't overlook the AOR bumper... The center box is a beast and they now have some wing options and a full skid plate offering. They do really nice work IMHO.

Glad to see you inspired and plugging away at your overlander... I will be following along as you go.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Since on the subject of paint, will address the use of Line-X. The bed was scuffed up and had a few minor dents, and although I've used Hercu-Liner and Monsta-Liner with pretty good results, Line-X or Rhino Liner always looks a whole lot better.

I also like experimenting with different features on new and older versions of the Ranger, and like the idea of the letter "inserts" that are sold aftermarket to the 5th generation Rangers to fit into the tailgate. No plans to apply them to the tailgate, but thought they'd look good in the bed.

Think I was right:
View attachment 38457

And I thought they would look even better "murdered out" after having the Line-X applied. So fixed the dents and turned the truck over to a local shop.
Like the results:
View attachment 38458

Money shot:
View attachment 38459

Knocking out some wiring this weekend, so stay tuned,
Paul
You used "inserts" on the flat surface to give a raised letter effect? Thats pretty slick ?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals