• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1989 2.9l break-in procedure

Pix3L8

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco ii
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Alright, guys, I need your collective ford knowledge for the little predicament I'm in. I'm on my second 2.9 rebuild and I'm slowly learning from my mistakes from the first time I tried this. I recently purchased an 89 block from a pick and pull yard, the engine has roughly 140k on it, in decent shape. I ran a leak down test and got results leading me to replace my piston rings. I replaced the rings, honed and deglazed my cylinders and replaced every engine gasket top to bottom, new fuel injectors, sensors, etc, etc. what I want to know is the proper break-in procedure once I get the engine in the truck. I've heard everything from run it at full tilt for 20 or so minutes to baby the engine for the first thousand miles. I know I need to run high zinc break-in oil and change it after 500 miles but the exact process for successfully breaking in the rings eludes me...Haynes manual is less than useless for this. The only new internal parts are the rings and gaskets so 99% of the engine was left alone I just don't want to do something wrong and have to redo all this work again. And before you say it, I should have done a 5.0 swap and saved myself the stress of messing with the 2.9 but what can I say, I'm stubborn.
DSC06662.jpg

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Alright, guys, I need your collective ford knowledge for the little predicament I'm in. I'm on my second 2.9 rebuild and I'm slowly learning from my mistakes from the first time I tried this. I recently purchased an 89 block from a pick and pull yard, the engine has roughly 140k on it, in decent shape. I ran a leak down test and got results leading me to replace my piston rings. I replaced the rings, honed and deglazed my cylinders and replaced every engine gasket top to bottom, new fuel injectors, sensors, etc, etc. what I want to know is the proper break-in procedure once I get the engine in the truck. I've heard everything from run it at full tilt for 20 or so minutes to baby the engine for the first thousand miles. I know I need to run high zinc break-in oil and change it after 500 miles but the exact process for successfully breaking in the rings eludes me...Haynes manual is less than useless for this. The only new internal parts are the rings and gaskets so 99% of the engine was left alone I just don't want to do something wrong and have to redo all this work again. And before you say it, I should have done a 5.0 swap and saved myself the stress of messing with the 2.9 but what can I say, I'm stubborn.View attachment 38373
Break-in procedure is simple:
Step 1: Remove 2.9 from truck
Step 2: Install 3.0 in truck.

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
From the 1990 Owner's manual ('89 should be similar):

Your new vehicle goes through an adjustment or break-in period during the first 1,000 miles (1,600km) that you drive it. During the break-in period, you need to pay careful attention to how you drive your vehicle. Follow these special instructions for the first 1,000 miles (1,600km):​
* Change your speed often as you drive. Do not drive at one speed for a long time.​
* Avoid sudden stops. Because your vehicle has new brake linings, you should take these steps:​
* Watch traffic carefully so that you can anticipate when to stop.​
* Begin braking well in advance​
* Apply the brakes gradually​
The brake in period for new brake linings lasts for 100 miles (160km) of city driving or 1,000 miles (1,600km) of highway driving.​
* Use only the type of engine oil that Ford recommends. See Engine Oil Recommendations in the index. Do not use special "break-in" oils.​

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
@1990RangerinSK I chuckled at the brake break in inserted into the engine part....

What the sarcastic snarky one said is definitely true of OEM Ford rings and engines.. but since you have done nothing to the valves or crank case, I would contact the manufacturer of the rings themselves especially if they are not actual Ford rings and see what they recommend and what oil they recommend. with just the rings, you might not need to do an extensive break in period. Our resident 2.9 aficionado is taking a sabbatical (most likely locked in @Dirtman s basement but maybe @rusty ol ranger has some tips...(he is the other 2.9 aficionado..)

AJ

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
@1990RangerinSK I chuckled at the brake break in inserted into the engine part....

What the sarcastic snarky one said is definitely true of OEM Ford rings and engines.. but since you have done nothing to the valves or crank case, I would contact the manufacturer of the rings themselves especially if they are not actual Ford rings and see what they recommend and what oil they recommend. with just the rings, you might not need to do an extensive break in period. Our resident 2.9 aficionado is taking a sabbatical (most likely locked in @Dirtman s basement but maybe @rusty ol ranger has some tips...(he is the other 2.9 aficionado..)

AJ
For the record, that was exactly what I was told to do with my 2010 Honda Fit when I bought it brand new, too. So I'd suspect that break in procedures are pretty much the same for all manufacturers.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
From the 1990 Owner's manual ('89 should be similar):

Your new vehicle goes through an adjustment or break-in period during the first 1,000 miles (1,600km) that you drive it. During the break-in period, you need to pay careful attention to how you drive your vehicle. Follow these special instructions for the first 1,000 miles (1,600km):​
* Change your speed often as you drive. Do not drive at one speed for a long time.​
* Avoid sudden stops. Because your vehicle has new brake linings, you should take these steps:​
* Watch traffic carefully so that you can anticipate when to stop.​
* Begin braking well in advance​
* Apply the brakes gradually​
The brake in period for new brake linings lasts for 100 miles (160km) of city driving or 1,000 miles (1,600km) of highway driving.​
* Use only the type of engine oil that Ford recommends. See Engine Oil Recommendations in the index. Do not use special "break-in" oils.​
Besides the brake lining part, id follow this.

DO NOT run the thing crazy hard in the first 500 miles, and id be spotty about full throttle dumps between 500-1000. Also avoid towing for 500 miles and like stated, try to vary your RPMS to get the internals "adjusted" to different driving conditions.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
To seat the rings well your going to want to engine brake. Nothing crazy, but engine brake.

Change the oil at 500 and then once more 1000 miles after that.

Vary rpms while cruising.

Don't be afraid to give it the beans occasionaly either.. Again.. Nothing crazy.. But give it a taste.

I've seen motors get babied while getting broken in end up with worse leakdown numbers than motors that have been driven like an Aussie skid car since day 1 lol.

Pix3L8

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco ii
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
so what I'm hearing from everyone is to drive it easy but occasionally give it the beans and to engine brake, varyingRPMS. My last question, how long can I take once the engine is running to time and tune it?? I have heard letting an engine with fresh rings idle is a huge NO NO.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
No racing the first 500 miles, basically is what it means, not sure but I don't think racing anything with a 2.9L V6 would win you anything anyways, but basically don't race and don't tow anything and it'll all be fine. With today's traffic trying to break in an engine in the real world is pretty impossible. Just don't drive around with the skinny pedal to the floor and all will be fine. Biggest thing is to change the oil shortly after the rebuild, then doing it again around the 1,000 mile mark. Once you do that it should be good to go, I still run a zinc additive in my Bronco 2 even though the engine rebuild was done almost 2 years ago. Doubt it really does any good but I'd rather not find out with another $5k engine replacement bill....PO didn't do anything helpful to that poor Bronco 2.

Pix3L8

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco ii
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
I’ll be putting the engine back in this week, I’ll keep you guys updated. Thank you for all the input.

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
I’ll be putting the engine back in this week, I’ll keep you guys updated. Thank you for all the input.
Hello Pix3L8

This is the correct way to break in (seat the rings/valves) a freshly rebuilt engine:

-this procedure is performed parked in neutral for a manual or in Park for an automatic.
-use conventional motor oil for the break in.
-start the engine and let it bring itself up to normal operational temperature.
-after it has warmed slowly raise the engine RPM until you get to 2,000 RPM. Once there, slowing accelerate and decelerate the engine RPM from 2,500-1,500-2,500.... This needs to be done for 20 minutes.
-after 20 minutes, drop that conventional oil and add your choice of oil; I recommend full synthetic.

Now your rebuilt engine is fully broken in and ready to drive on the road. You should change the oil again after the first 500 and 1,000 miles. After that change the oil according to the manufacturer's recomendations.

For the record, I did not come up with this procedure, I asked the advice of professional engine builders and they all used this very process. After learning this I adapted it as the proper way to break in an engine and am still enjoying every engine I have rebuilt.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask ..)

Last edited:

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Hello Pix3L8

This is the correct way to break in (seat the rings/valves) a freshly rebuilt engine:

-this procedure is performed parked in neutral for a manual or in Park for an automatic.
-use conventional motor oil for the break in.

-start the engine and let it bring itself up to normal operational temperature.
-after it has warmed slowly raise the engine RPM until you get to 2,000 RPM. Once there, slowing accelerate and decelerate the engine RPM from 2,500-1,500-2,500.... This needs to be done for 20 minutes.
-after 20 minutes, drop that conventional oil and add your choice of oil; I recommend full synthetic.

Now your rebuilt engine is fully broken in and ready to drive on the road. You should change the oil again after the first 500 and 1,000 miles. After that change the oil according to the manufacturer's recomendations.

For the record, I did not come up with this procedure, I asked the advice of professional engine builders and they all used this very process. After learning this I adapted it as the proper way to break in an engine and am still enjoying every engine I have rebuilt.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask ..)
That’s a cam break-in procedure. Any engine with a roller cam or used cam/lifter set, that’s a waste of time.

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
That’s a cam break-in procedure. Any engine with a roller cam or used cam/lifter set, that’s a waste of time.
Whatever, OP has rebuilt a Colone 2.9L, they use standard hydraulic lifters; he needs to do this to seat the new rings...and it is the proper break in procedure.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Whatever, OP has rebuilt a Colone 2.9L, they use standard hydraulic lifters; he needs to do this to seat the new rings...and it is the proper break in procedure.
Yes, but he’s didn’t replace them... no need to break them in again.

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
No, sir. The proper engine break-in procedure was posted a few posts up, by me. Taken directly from the 1990 Ford Ranger Owner's Manual.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals