• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Electric turbo

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up
Here's cheap way without any drain on vehicle's system. Just get your passenger to keep on "a pumpin".
Just run a tube from the nozzle to the carb or throttle body and your good to go.
Grumpaw

Attachments

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I thought about using a boat bilge blower (they are a electric in-line blower fan for engine compartment ventilation in stern drive boats) in a car over 20 years ago, worked at a boat dealership at the time and had salvaged all the needed parts from junked boats. turns out those dont move enough air. I was only in my early 20’s then.
In my early teens, my dad's boss donated his worn out riding lawnmower to us. Being industrious, precocious kid - I tried to get it working, but the drive was shot and pushing the mower while one's brother steered wasn't fun/8hp Briggs&Stratton wasn't in much better shape.

So, we pulled the mower deck off and welded mounts for push handle and 5 hp B&S - reasoning that 1/2 the power went to moving the mover. But the engine wasn't up to it. We tried running a hotter plug and diesel which did help* but wasn't quite enough; then we came up with idea of using the shop vac as blower.

That electric/gas mover would then cut a 30" swath like nobody's business. But it required connection to an outlet - OK for mowing around the house & by the shop - not so much for the rest of the farm yard.

The fact that TorqAmp has to shutdown after 2 minutes of full power due to thermal overload is disappointing - no using it to add power all the way up the Davis Dam hill. They really need to add a heat sink to the motor.

Personally, I would like to see something more like Dodge's eTorque. I've also been looking at some of the kits to make an electric car - instead of adding transfer case and front drive shaft, install an electric motor and batteries - might be weight neutral. Both of these solutions are provide the torque for the longer time periods I require for a truck.

*B&S engine started on gasoline, but with diesel in tank, and hot plug will make some serious power (you have to kill it by starving it of air and/or overloading it).

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I didn't think you could mix diesel and gas and get more power.... Sounds like a tall tale.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I didn't think you could mix diesel and gas and get more power.... Sounds like a tall tale.
It helps to read and understand what they were doing.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I didn't mix diesel and gas: I just used gas to start the engine/get it warmed up - like the old IH dozer did.

Then I am using the spark plug more like the glow plug in an R/C engine - you can actually disconnect the plug wire and it will stay running. To kill it you needed to disconnect the blower and hold your hand on the carb to starve it of air.

Diesel fuel contains about 15% more energy by volume (roughly 36.9 MJ/litre compared to 33.7 MJ/litre). And with the electric supercharger (shop vacuum blower) providing a couple psi "boost", the little Briggs makes at least 25% more power than it would "out of the box".

Diesel in a liquid cooled car engine doesn't work as the water jacket keeps temperatures down, but it would probably work in an original VW bug.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I didn't mix diesel and gas: I just used gas to start the engine/get it warmed up - like the old IH dozer did.

Then I am using the spark plug more like the glow plug in an R/C engine - you can actually disconnect the plug wire and it will stay running. To kill it you needed to disconnect the blower and hold your hand on the carb to starve it of air.

Diesel fuel contains about 15% more energy by volume (roughly 36.9 MJ/litre compared to 33.7 MJ/litre). And with the electric supercharger (shop vacuum blower) providing a couple psi "boost", the little Briggs makes at least 25% more power than it would "out of the box".

Diesel in a liquid cooled car engine doesn't work as the water jacket keeps temperatures down, but it would probably work in an original VW bug.
Interesting! I hope I can play with this in the future.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Interesting! I hope I can play with this in the future.
Why doesn't this surprise me?

I see you on a lawn mower with a leaf blower in one hand pulling wheelies down the driveway.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Here's a electric turbo that works. Not cheap though.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals