• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Oil change Process

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
You just pop a panel loose, no big deal.
Not if you have to remove a tire, that's not a simple oil change LOL, I don't need to remove tires and panels to do any oil filter removal on my vehicles LOL....my 08 Toyota Tundra had some pretty stupid engineering fails too...skidplate removal required for oil filter access and to drain the oil, no access plate...but the Tacoma had access plates for that WTF LOL.

Looks like at least Ford kept a standard spin on oil filter and not those nonsense cartridge ones that many other vehicles have gone to. But it looks like the oil filter is on the far back of the engine, so why can't you just crawl under the truck and access the filter from underneath?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Not if you have to remove a tire, that's not a simple oil change LOL, I don't need to remove tires and panels to do any oil filter removal on my vehicles LOL....my 08 Toyota Tundra had some pretty stupid engineering fails too...skidplate removal required for oil filter access and to drain the oil, no access plate...but the Tacoma had access plates for that WTF LOL.

Looks like at least Ford kept a standard spin on oil filter and not those nonsense cartridge ones that many other vehicles have gone to. But it looks like the oil filter is on the far back of the engine, so why can't you just crawl under the truck and access the filter from underneath?
Because it is easier not to?

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I guess the oil filter location in my 84 Ranger 2.8L V6 and the 88 Bronco 2 and 87 Ranger 2.9L V6 are cakewalk then compared to disassembling the driver's side of the Ranger to do a simple oil and filter change.
It's not as bad as it was originally made out to be. Just turn the wheels hard right and remove some plastic clips on th eback portion of the splash shield. It's easier if the wheel is removed but not that bad with is still bolted on. Granted, it could be better but it isn't bad.

acsnowrider

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD RANGER
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Ya--I just cranked the steering all the way to the right, and had plenty of room--still accessed the filter by pulling the four plastic shield fastners, because the filter access is blocked from below, due to the oil drain funnel--it nicely prevents a big mess!!:)

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
It's not as bad as it was originally made out to be. Just turn the wheels hard right and remove some plastic clips on th eback portion of the splash shield. It's easier if the wheel is removed but not that bad with is still bolted on. Granted, it could be better but it isn't bad.
There isn't enough room to reach the filter from simply crawling under the truck? From the looks of the location of the filter I would think you could simply reach up between the frame rail and engine to get to it?

acsnowrider

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD RANGER
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I added running boards, so now I'm to fat on the creeper--I could touch it, but you need to get your hand/tool up there to loosen the filter--reaching around the outside was easy..

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
There isn't enough room to reach the filter from simply crawling under the truck? From the looks of the location of the filter I would think you could simply reach up between the frame rail and engine to get to it?
Nope, completely blocked from underneath. I suppose removing the funnel, shield thing might open up some room but I'm not sure it would be enough to get a hand up there. I've only done the job once. So, I might experiment some next time, this Spring.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
Nope, completely blocked from underneath. I suppose removing the funnel, shield thing might open up some room but I'm not sure it would be enough to get a hand up there. I've only done the job once. So, I might experiment some next time, this Spring.
Thanks for the explanation...I guess not having seen one it just don't make sense, every vehicle I've had has been relatively simple to change oil/filter by just crawling under it and doing so...never thought about stuff completely blocking the filter like that. The filter in my Toyota Tundra wasn't exactly blocked it just had the dang skid plate that made access take longer...luckily it was dealer maintained the whole time I had it so they were the ones that had to deal with it LOL, all 9 years I had that truck I just let the dealer do all the work to it HAHA!!

Someone up above mentioned a remote filter kit, maybe an option at some point if not already available? Although like you mentioned you can turn the wheels to access it, so in my thoughts that would be enough for me to accept. I can't recall for sure I know it was a Dodge, a Stratus if I remember correctly where the battery was located behind the bumper on the driver's side, talk about a pain in the A**, you had to take the front bumper cover off to change the battery, like who the heck thought that was a great place to install a battery LOL. At least with the Chevy Cobalt I had, they managed to put it in the trunk LOL.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge on the oil filter setup on the new/newer Rangers. I've yet to even go test drive one, I guess because I'm far from being able to ever afford one, but then again I am enjoying my old trucks still LOL. Have a great evening.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Well, a couple things I will say. One, I'm a thin built person, so room may be an issue for someone larger. Two, I've spent almost 33 years working in tight, confined spaces. So, it may be that I'm just used to it and it doesn't bother me. Hell. I've learned to work looking through a mirror with my left hand almost as well as I can with my right while only being able to look in the the mirror with just one eye. So, it could just mean I've had years of practice at being special.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals