• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Has anyone stroked there 2.9?

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Very easy all-in. Probably cheaper to have staples print and bind the pdf VS finding the book at this point.

2.9 and 4.0 bottom ends do not die. Like, unless you abuse the sh*t out of it, they do not die. One of mine was run with two cracked heads and no oil for a few hundred miles. Piston bores are shot, but bottom end is trustworthy after new bearings IMO.

Most of the modifications done to Colognes are focused on their weaknesses: cooling, and intake runner flow. Most of them have sh*tty exhaust ports as well - euro 2.8i has siamese rear ports, American 2.8c has rear twin ports, and 2.9 and 4.0 have far too big of ports.

Other problem is coolant flow. 2.9 and early 4.0 have glass heads due to bad exhaust manifolds and thin castings. 2.6 and 2.8 just don't flow coolant to their heads. Pruett actually recommends drilling the heads and block with a drill to let coolant flow. I'll be punching my gaskets out on my rebuild for the same reason. Does it work? Dunno. If I post that my engine shot six pistons through the pan, or doesn't, we will know.

Were I you, I'd get it running perfectly first.

Next, I'd see if I had 86 or 89tm heads. If you have 86tm, I'd start hoarding parts - high volume oil pump, cloyes timing set, aftermarket heavy duty heads (have them ported - Pruett gives awesome instructions), stainless valves, double stack valve springs, 89tm rocker assemblies and have spacers made, merkur intake (SO MUCH BETTER THAN RANGER), catch can, new cam and spin-proof bearings, JBA headers, kemso 340lph fuel pump (more of a reliability thing), shot peened and deburred factory rods, deburred pistons, etc etc. And slide an aftermarket ecm in there somewhere.

Do a ton of research on cams and lifters. That's a big failure point for all colognes.

Flow your heads, port and polish your intakes, remove egr wart from exhaust ports, assemble as a deep breathing engine, and let it run its ass off to do everything - they're happiest working hard at mid to high range rpm.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Oh. And from experience, even half of this stuff done? You're going to need a 10" clutch.

1987ranger12394

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I've got the fm145 that I'm trying to replace. I replaced my heads with some heavy duty aftermarket heads so from valves up is new or rebuilt. I port matched the uper and lower intake manifold as well and have a new fuel system injectors to tank.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Here we go.... You will probably get a 2.9L mafia ring now... and an invite to the circle jerk as well.

1987ranger12394

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Here we go.... You will probably get a 2.9L mafia ring now... and an invite to the circle jerk as well.
I just dont have the time needed to fab up a v8 install as much as I'd like too.

Plus if those euro boys can do it I can do it better. MERICA!

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
There went your hopes for a ring...

I did one years ago... it was a lot of fun.

1987ranger12394

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well from what I'm reading you get more bang for your buck out of the 2.9 turbo option

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Well from what I'm reading you get more bang for your buck out of the 2.9 turbo option
The V8 stuff is everywhere... solid reliable power.

Also for as good as they may be... they have some serious short falls too.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I just dont have the time needed to fab up a v8 install as much as I'd like too.

Plus if those euro boys can do it I can do it better. MERICA!
This...

If you don't have time to do a V8 swap with off the shelf stuff... you really don't have the time to do a 2.9L. PJ has over a year worth of research alone... and it hasn't made smoke in turbo form yet.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Exactly.

I have lots of love for people doing wild things with 2.9's (or any other engine). But if you don't have time for a V8 swap, you definitely don't have time to go experimental on a 2.9.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Whole point of mine became refining and making a cologne build accessible. So far I've posted the megasquirt tunes I run, and lots of how to stuff.

I need to get some of the cad files I have uploaded to the tech section. Eventually would love to write up a 'how to' start to finish with blueprints of parts to build or alter, etc. I have the pile of notes, just need work to slow down.

The process has been exhausting. Means a lot to me that yall recognize the amount of work I've put in. ??

1987ranger12394

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
This...

If you don't have time to do a V8 swap with off the shelf stuff... you really don't have the time to do a 2.9L. PJ has over a year worth of research alone... and it hasn't made smoke in turbo form yet.
I dont have time to fab. As much as it seems off the shelf I dont see any 'kits' floating around for 302s. Gm ls based motors shure but not 302's. I'm not looking to spend hrs looking through forums finding one or two posts a page that helps me find a wining manual 4x4 302 that will fit in my ranger with little modifications and little or no custom wireing. I am industrial mechanic and electrical technician and dont really care to spend forever applying my trade at home. If there was a hey do this exact setup it will work for you page I'd love to see it. I have funds to work with what's already made to go in it.
No offense intended I get that most people probably waist your time. I really like my ranger and finally have the income to support my hobby. So I'm trying to do something that works for me and the time I do have to put in it. At the moment it's not worthwhile for me to invest in a custom swap I've never done before. I'd hate to put money into a 302 swap and it not work out for me.

Last edited:

1987ranger12394

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Whole point of mine became refining and making a cologne build accessible. So far I've posted the megasquirt tunes I run, and lots of how to stuff.

I need to get some of the cad files I have uploaded to the tech section. Eventually would love to write up a 'how to' start to finish with blueprints of parts to build or alter, etc. I have the pile of notes, just need work to slow down.

The process has been exhausting. Means a lot to me that yall recognize the amount of work I've put in. ??
You were the deciding factor on going the 2.9 route for me. Paving the way so to speak

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
You were the deciding factor on going the 2.9 route for me. Paving the way so to speak
No joke, that's a weird feeling ??

Keep us posted, and update the crap out of that build thread!

Oh and megasquirt was single greatest improvement. Diagnostics alone make it worth it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals