• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

"Thats Daddy's Truck" build

1987ranger12394

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Took my truck in to be inspected found out I cant drive it until I replace my front drive shaft u joints. Rears fine but having a drive shaft you dont use on the hwy because it's for 4x4 with loose u joints will fail you. Makes complete sense. Oh and you cant have a turn down under your truck for your exhaust. Hast to exit out the rear.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Got some radiators to use as an oil cooler not sure what one to use hand for size reference. Made some door arm rests/handles
Let me know the results on the oil cooler? Been considering one.

1987ranger12394

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Let me know the results on the oil cooler? Been considering one.
I put it in last week it works good had to bypass it was keeping the engine to cool in the mornings 40° but during the day when its 70+ it helps a lot

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Was concerned about that with one. Usually I have to keep half of my rad blocked in spring/fall to keep the engine temps up on the highway. May still put one in on a thermostat. Meh. We'll see.

Three e fans + high flow thermostat + remove cowl plates + water/methanol injection + phenolic intake spacers + ram air = engine that runs stone cold if allowed.

A few times on humid nights I've opened my hood to find my upper intake covered in condensation. Weird feeling to see your IAT 20 - 30 degrees below ambient haha

ExploreNW

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
Tire Size
235/75/15
Your fuel pump switch is great anti-theft! Great looking truck too, by the way. Are you planning on keeping power close to stock specs or have you snuck in a cam/port job/chip/etc?

Those look to me like A/C condensers. They should have great cooling capacity and no problems holding oil or pressure. If you live anywhere cold, you're going to want to block the front of the truck off especially with an oil cooler. My temp gauge still barely lifts off the peg in the winter.

None of my stuff would ever pass a state safety check. I don't know how you guys back east do it

1987ranger12394

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Your fuel pump switch is great anti-theft! Great looking truck too, by the way. Are you planning on keeping power close to stock specs or have you snuck in a cam/port job/chip/etc?

Those look to me like A/C condensers. They should have great cooling capacity and no problems holding oil or pressure. If you live anywhere cold, you're going to want to block the front of the truck off especially with an oil cooler. My temp gauge still barely lifts off the peg in the winter.

None of my stuff would ever pass a state safety check. I don't know how you guys back east do it
Yeah I told myself the same thing when I installed that switch lol. "Its a good replacement for your missing impact fuel cutoff and will stop the thieves who do know how to drive stick, plus you dont have to replace that bad fuel relay so it saves you money" the list goes on lol
I want to swap in a carbed 351w or a ls based engine. I'd keep the 2.9l if it didnt tick like hell and have every wireing issue ever
Exactly what they are lol specifically from ac units for electrical cabinets. I get them all the time at work.
Yeah I spread the word around to find a guy who would "inspect" my truck appropriately. A guy I know is hooking me up

1987ranger12394

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My new venture is trying to hunt down why I'm running rich And figuring out if I should swap in dana 44 ttb or solid front axle and what would be more cost effective

1987ranger12394

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Saw this online digging the look just without the logo. Mine would have to be more of a hybrid pre runner crawler for nc

Attachments

ExploreNW

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
Tire Size
235/75/15
I'd keep the 2.9l if it didnt tick like hell
How's your camshaft? Lifters? Valve lash? 99 out of 100 ticks I've fixed have been easy stuff like improper lash or a worn cam.

As for the rich running... What's your fuel pressure? If you're out of spec, replace the regulator. If you're in spec, how old are the O2 sensors? Old O2s, even newer Chinese ones and especially the 1V narrow band sensors, will get tired and enrich or lean out the engine.

Solid front axle from the JY would be my cheapest bet. That Bud truck looks pretty damn good!!

1987ranger12394

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The valve lashing may need adjustments I set them according to the trs guidelines it has new valves and lifters. The cams original didnt have the time to swap it out and wasn't sure what would be a safe cam to go with. I'm probably going to take it to a shop here soon and have someone who has a more experience adjust the valves.
I picked up a new o2 and am going to replace the ecu thermostat both have 30+ years on em so its probably due anyway. I replaced the whole fuel system tank to injectors and installed an inline pressure regulator so its getting exactly 40 at the rail.

1987ranger12394

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thinking tap handle for the shifter if I can find the red one if not the black

Attachments

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Thinking tap handle for the shifter if I can find the red one if not the black
annnnnd you drink Stone Brewery enough to use a tap handle as a shifter.

Yep. You're officially 2.9 mafia.

1987ranger12394

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Lol I do. That and i dont have a brand or tap for my home made "fuel" so my favorite beer was the next best thing

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lol I do. That and i dont have a brand or tap for my home made "fuel" so my favorite beer was the next best thing
Is it sad that my mind first went to, "yo, wait, is this guy running home brew ethanol as fuel? LEARN HOW"

1987ranger12394

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Is it sad that my mind first went to, "yo, wait, is this guy running home brew ethanol as fuel? LEARN HOW"
I looked into it on the ranger it would take a lot of work. I can run a mix and probably get away with it on a stock engine though. Highest I can get right now 185 proof. I do have a lawn mower that runs off it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals