• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Detroit 353 (2.6L) swap

Camp Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Hey, I'm tearing my Ranger down to the frame in the spring, I want to do a diesel conversion, but not something that's already been done, after doing some research, I'm thinking an aluminum 353 from the late 60s early 70s would be my best bet, it's about 850lbs, produces 105hp stock and about 140 with a turbo and has 245ft lb of torque match that with a 4 spd sm465 and 3 spd aux spicer 5831b for a total of 12 gears and paired with a divorced np205 t case...that will be a torque monster in bull low! Who thinks that's a great idea for a build?

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
I love the sound of the old Detroit’s, but man are they heavy. Even an aluminum 3-53 probably weighs in around 750-800 lbs bare....
Take lots of pictures.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I love the sound of the old Detroit’s, but man are they heavy. Even an aluminum 3-53 probably weighs in around 750-800 lbs bare....
Take lots of pictures.
Looks like about a thousand pounds dry:

Or about the same as two 302's...

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Better plan on some F350 front coils....

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I like it!

But...we had a 3-53 in an articulated 4x4 forklift in Hawaii. The machine might have been called an RT-4000. Or maybe the RT-4000 was the better machine that replaced it. Over 30 years ago, so my memory isn't clear. It was in the gun park at Kaneohe Bay and we used it to move guns around--to the wash rack or into the maintenance bay. The engineers owned it but let us use it. It had a roots blower, because it needed it. I think it read 105hp on the plate. It wasn't a strong engine. Not crisp. It had to wind up to get the load moving. And it was loud as hell. I never liked it. The machine that replaced it had a 4-stroke diesel and the rear tires turned--it wasn't articulated. That second machine was a much better object. Much better engine--very precise throttle, no waiting for power. And the steering was better as well..less relevant to this thread.

I love those 2-stroke diesels, but not when I have to actually use it. The 8 and 12 cylinder motors have a great soundtrack. Over 20 years ago when Columbus, Indiana had a single small Walmart (we have 2 big ones in different places now) on National Road, I was standing in the parking lot and a logging truck took off from a light. That's the best sounding machine I have ever heard in my life. My dad drove a 318, which you know is an 8V71. The Marine Corps had the LVS when I was in, maybe it's still around. It used the same engine I think, but more powerful. I've heard those a lot. But this logging truck had to be a 12 cylinder Detroit. It was the thickest engine sound I've ever heard. No mufflers. Ripping through gears. The driver is hearing the echo off of buildings and maximizing it. Doing it on purpose. I have a Harley with straight pipes and I do the same thing. But nothing sounds like a truck with a 12 cylinder Detroit pulling 50,000 of logs from a stop. Front end of the truck twisting a tire almost into the air pulling gears. Never forget that.

Go for it. I think you will hate it, but I want to see it.

pinto-one

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
76 90 93
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
3-53 Detroit Diesel into ranger , well getting ready to do the same thing . got a gama goat engine and a 2000 ford ranger to stuff it in , did a fittment in a 1988 ranger but the cross member and streering was in the way and lost a place to do it , , now getting ready to retire and this is going to be my project in the next few months , looking at keeping the truck as light as I can and this has been done before , the weight of the engine is a few hunderd pounds lighter than the all iron one , also I will end up with many gallons of fuel free to use so that is one good reason to do it , Later Blaine

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals