• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Should I Bother Rebuilding These Heads?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I picked up a set of 89TM cylinder heads at the junkyard last year.
I just got around to tearing them down and inspecting them today.
They were sludged up pretty bad, and when I pulled out the springs and valves I noticed this.
Is this something I can get a machine shop to replace?
I couldn't find anything on Rock Auto or Summit for valve spring seats. Unless they go by a different name.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Those are the valve guide bosses... which I believe are part of the head casting.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Valve guides, no?

Im way too visual with this stuff.

My head rebuild was:

"looks important. Flip through book. Find pictures. Run go/no go numbers. flip to next part that looks important. Check trs posts. verify between trs, haynes, pruett. rinse. repeat because its cold AF in here"

Haynes manual is 15 bucks. Pays for itself when it hits your passenger seat.

This forum, a Haynes book, and the pruett Bible are how I learned all this crap.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Them heads would make excellent boat anchors.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I will stick with my original post...

Valve guide bosses... part of head casting... and they're broke. I would venture to say those heads have been serviced once and got a couple new valve guides. I've seen others crack like that when installing valve guides. You typically heat the head and freeze the guide and installation goes fairly easy. If the head wasn't warm enough... the interference fit of the guide cracks the boss while driving it home. The boss does two things... help retain the guide... and set the depth for how far to install the guide.

You would be wise to stop by a machine shop and ask someone that deals with these things... and see what they say.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Itll pry cost you more to fix then another set of 89tm heads.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Yea they apear to have a zillion miles on them and have obvious damage that cannot be repaired. They could probably run ok with those chunks of the casting broken off but A. There's probably more damage you haven't found yet and B. Why bother putting money into them, cut your losses and buy another set.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I will stick with my original post...

Valve guide bosses... part of head casting... and they're broke. I would venture to say those heads have been serviced once and got a couple new valve guides. I've seen others crack like that when installing valve guides. You typically heat the head and freeze the guide and installation goes fairly easy. If the head wasn't warm enough... the interference fit of the guide cracks the boss while driving it home. The boss does two things... help retain the guide... and set the depth for how far to install the guide.

You would be wise to stop by a machine shop and ask someone that deals with these things... and see what they say.
Sounds good. I'll give my machine shop a call Monday and see what they say.

Yea they apear to have a zillion miles on them and have obvious damage that cannot be repaired. They could probably run ok with those chunks of the casting broken off but A. There's probably more damage you haven't found yet and B. Why bother putting money into them, cut your losses and buy another set.
Considering how cheap they are, it would make more sense to get a new set, but the late model 2.9s are getting pretty rare in my area. Most of the ones I tore into at pick n pull had early heads. It took me a decent while just to find these ones.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
That's why I suggested taking them into a machine shop... see what they have to say.

On VW heads... I've run heads that had broken bosses. There was sufficient material below the boss to retain the guide. In most cases... I would machine the bosses thin to install dual valve springs... if you serviced the guide after that... the thin boss would crack 99% of the time. It would be left there as depth control.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo

I dont know what a valve grind goes for these days, but id buy these and put the springs rockers and valves in and be done.

Paulos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 STX
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

I dont know what a valve grind goes for these days, but id buy these and put the springs rockers and valves in and be done.
Rusty, I think those are 4.0 heads. And I think that price is for 1 head (weight 30.6 lbs)

I installed a new set of heads from the eBay seller in the link below back in 2004, and they're still in my daily driver. I bought a new set a year or so ago for a new build, and the only problem I have with them is it appears that they use old springs and valves in the new castings (the heads I bought from them in '04 were probably the same, but I'm going to install new springs and valves). Also, whatever 2.9 heads you get, make sure the thread size for your alternator/PS/AC brackets are correct for your truck. My '87 has 10mm bolts for the brackets and the new heads have 8mm threads. I discovered this too late to return them, and my understanding is that '89(?) and later have the 8mm threads. I was told by the seller that you have to use a "bushing" in the brackets.

Last edited:

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Rusty, I think those are 4.0 heads. And I think that price is for 1 head (weight 30.6 lbs)

I installed a new set of heads from the eBay seller in the link below back in 2004, and they're still in my daily driver. I bought a new set a year or so ago for a new build, and the only problem I have with them is it appears that they use old springs and valves in the new castings (the heads I bought from them in '04 were probably the same, but I'm going to install new springs and valves). Also, whatever 2.9 heads you get, make sure the thread size for your alternator/PS/AC brackets are correct for your truck. My '87 has 10mm bolts for the brackets and the new heads have 8mm threads. I discovered this too late to return them, and my understanding is that '89(?) and later have the 8mm threads. I was told by the seller that you have to use a "bushing" in the brackets.

Shit those are 4.0 heads. My bad. I shoulda looked closer.

Paulos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 STX
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals