• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Updating the 4-Cylinder Tech Page - Suggestions Needed

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
I want to update the 4-Cylinder page in the Technical Library in the coming month(s).

The page is old and I'm not sure how accurate the info is anymore. If you have ANY suggestions as to what should be added, changed or deleted from the page, please post them here. This includes part numbers, names of manufacturers, links, custom modifications, know problems or even cheap tricks.

Thanks.

offroadranger

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Shoenfeld header should be added to the list, along with racer walsh(in the exhaust section) who has many parts for this engine including the shoenfeld and pacesetter headers.

we should get a writeup on the 19lb injectors and how to do it.

maybe a breif history of the engine as it has a very colored past?

jet performance makes a chip for these (at least I know they do for my 99 2.5) I did'nt see that listed.

thats all I got as of now. :)

offroadranger

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
oh one more thing: I tried to look up the grantenelli mafs listed and cannot find it anywhere, perhaps its been discontinued....if it was ever available?

Davis

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
i had a pretty decent write-up on the valvetrain of the 2.3 about 3 years ago. it was on the old boards. i might possibly be able to find it again if it was wanted.

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Hey Jim this may be the wrong place, but I can take a pic of my engine, as of now, I have the valve cover off and could probably get a good pic of the cam, and stuff, for reference of coarse. Let me know. Thanks.

1990 sc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
maybe not a refrigerator either . probably stareing at a can of forzen concentrait orange juice with amazment .. like ghandi is suposed to come out of it

1990 sc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yes the Dis 8 plug ignition correct pin location to convert the 8 plug system to a 4 plug head

Kenneth S

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a good easy way of checking TDC of let's say 2.3 in which the timing belt broke, you would be amazed at how far off a TDC mark can be on a 2.3 pulley.

Kenneth S

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
By popular demand!

Here is a way to check for Top Dead Center with the cylinder head still on the engine (you may be surprised how far the mark on the crank pulley can be off on a 2.3, or any other engine) This is the procedure I used on my 2.3 engine that's in my 88 ranger.

Step 1: Making the TDC checking tool.
Take an old spark plug, (please wear eye protection while making this TDC tool) break off the porcelain on the top of the plug all the way down to the main body of the plug. Right above the hex the plug body is rolled over to hold the porcelain into the body of the plug take a cut off wheel and or grind the rolled over portion of the plug body down also grind off the electrode off the plug body, clamp the plug body upside down at the hex in a vice (no too tight so you don't distort the plug body, take a punch about 5/16th" in dia and knock the rest of the porcelain through the plug body, put a 5/16th"x2" long bolt put it through the plug body then put a crimp style lock nut to secure the bolt into the plug body then grind the edges of the nut off so that it doesn't interfere with the threads in the cylinder head.
The completed TDC checking tool.

Step 2: Checking for TDC using your new TDC checking tool.
If you are replacing a broken timing belt, before you remove the front cover and broken timing belt, take out the number one spark plug, with a flash light look into the plug hole to check and see if the piston is near TDC (if it's close you will see the top of the piston in the plug hole) if you see the piston top rotate the crank shaft about a quarter turn or so, you shouldn't be able to see the piston through the plug hole after you have done that, now insert the TDC checking tool into the plug hole just like you would a regular spark plug.
TDC checking tool installed in the number one cylinder in my 2.3 in my 88 ranger.

Step 3: Verifying TDC.
Slowly (gently) rotate the crankshaft counter-clockwise (remove the rest of the spark plugs before you do this, the crankshaft will be alot easier to turn) keep turning the crankshaft until it stops, using a marker of some kind mark the pulley at where the TDC mark is on the front cover (I used tape), now rotate the crankshaft clockwise as you did before until it stops, now mark the pulley again where the TDC mark is on the front cover, now turn the crankshaft back a little and remove the TDC checking tool. Now measure the distance between the two marks you made and find the center and mark the pulley (I used a scribe then took a chisel to make the new TDC mark).
Now looking at the picture, to the left of the new TDC mark I made (between the two pieces of tape you can see the factory TDC mark is off by about 4 degree's).

This also can be done with the timing belt on (but be careful, it is possible for the exhaust valve to hit the TDC checking tool while rotating the engine) You can do this safely by making sure that the piston is just low enough so you don't see it in the plug hole, and you can also see if the exhaust valve close to the plug hole is opening or closing while checking the piston, install the TDC checking tool and carefully rotate the engine either by hand or the proper size socket with a ratchet until it stops (it shouldn't have to turn much), now remove the TDC checking tool then turn the crankshaft 360 degrees, and repeat the same process of checking the position of the piston, and valve then reinsert the TDC checking tool (the crankshaft shouldn't have to turn too much, just like it did before you removed the TDC checking tool. This process can be used on almost all other engines (preferably with the timing belt or chain off).

Last edited:

2.3slow

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
4 cylinder page

just something to add to this page might be some words about the bell housing configurations. yes i know the 4.0 bellhousing and 2.3 housing bolt configurations are different but are the 3.0 and 2.3 identical ? does anybody know? i was wondering the same question. i havent found it on any of the tech library headings. i know it seems stupid to ask such a thing, but i was just wondering if they were interchangeable or not. maybe this is something that everyone knows already and i am just not in the loop yet.

john :dntknw:

2.3stranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
maybe some info on the rotating assembly of 2.3 to2.5 (ie. Pistons conecting rod legnths crank shafts)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals