• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did I just buy?!?! Bronco ranger conversion

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
So. That's mentioned as a 2.3/2.5 ecm... Only mention of it being 4.0 is from AllanD's post.

Hm.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
So I am having a issue with this 4.0. This thing is so cold natured that it can’t be driven until it is warmer temps later in the day.

Engine starts up and idles perfect. When i give it any throttle at all it will spit and sputter then die if I don’t let off soon enough. When outside temps are wamer in the afternoon the issue is barely noticeable at all.

Cleaned maf , cleaned IAC and put in new air filter.

Any other suggestions to fix this thing ?
Pull the codes from the computer and see what you get. I am wondering if you have a throttle position sensor code. If you pull the codes it will also tell you if that is a 4 cyl computer or a 6 cyl computer.

Mtcrss546

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
bronco/ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33x12.5x15
Got to tinker on the rig today. Tried to check codes but my scanner and orielly scanner would not work. So could not verify ecm is corect or not. Hoping to find a ecm at a junk yard this weekend to try out.

Went ahead and Installed new plugs, wires and coil pack. Started up and same off idle issue when cold. Let it warm up to temp again. It is not dying when up to temp now. Went for a short drive and found it is dang near impossible to take of from a stop.I have to ride the clutch bad to get it rolling. Put it in 4 low and takes off from a stop with no effort at all. So I checked the gear ratio and found that someone swapped a 8.8 with disc brakes in the rear and has 3.73s in it.
Still has the Dana 28 up front.

The truck has 33x12.5 tires I’m sure I need to go to atleast 4.10s from what I have read on here. but I did not think it would be that bad with 3.73s.

Update on what we know about this build
1989 bronco 2 frame
1989 ranger cab
4.0 v6 non egr
8.8 rear end with 3.73s
Dana 28 with 3.73s

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
The engine coolant temp sensor that the ECU uses to adjust the mixture could be faulty.

4.10's or 4.56's would be much better with the 33"s.

Have you checked the compression? Should be a good 160psi or more on all cylinders.

Mtcrss546

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
bronco/ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33x12.5x15
The engine coolant temp sensor that the ECU uses to adjust the mixture could be faulty.

4.10's or 4.56's would be much better with the 33"s.

Have you checked the compression? Should be a good 160psi or more on all cylinders.
Where is that sensor located? The coolant temp gauge does not work so that could be part of the issue for sure. I have not checked compression yet but will check that over the weekend.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
You should have two... a single wire sender for the gauge... a two wire sensor for the ECM.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I would absolutely 100% go with 4.56 with 33's but I consider the 0-50mph range more important than highway cruising 65+mph rpm. I bought 4.56 gears for my truck (factory 4.10) when I went from 27 to 30 inch tires. :icon_rofl:

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
3.73s with 33's shouldn't be that big of a deal. Yeah, itll be a little bogged down on a dead stop on a hill, but still shouldnt be terrible.

My 2.9 (granted, not stock) has no trouble with 31's.

Unless I'm in sand. Then the clutch catches fire.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Do you have a EECIV plug in the harness somewhere under the hood? It should look like this.

You don't need a scanner, all you need is a testlight and a short piece of wire to pull the codes. This link shows you how to do it.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Paperclip works too, the check engine light will flash the codes.

Mtcrss546

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
bronco/ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33x12.5x15
3.73s with 33's shouldn't be that big of a deal. Yeah, itll be a little bogged down on a dead stop on a hill, but still shouldnt be terrible.

My 2.9 (granted, not stock) has no trouble with 31's.

Unless I'm in sand. Then the clutch catches fire.

That’s what I was thinking too. Taking off out of my flat drive way in 2wd was even a chore. 4 low was like it should be taking off tho

Mtcrss546

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
bronco/ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33x12.5x15
Do you have a EECIV plug in the harness somewhere under the hood? It should look like this.

You don't need a scanner, all you need is a testlight and a short piece of wire to pull the codes. This link shows you how to do it.

Yes the truck has one. I will do that tomorrow. Mainly needed a scanner to help verify the ecm is for a v6 since the ecm is still in question

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Yes the truck has one. I will do that tomorrow. Mainly needed a scanner to help verify the ecm is for a v6 since the ecm is still in question
Still no need for a scanner. If you look at the instruction link carefully, and do some more google searching on "How to read EECIV codes" you will find in the first series of pulses it will pulse half the number of cylinders the computer is programmed for. So for a 4 cyl you will get 2 pulses, for a 6 cyl you will get 3 pulses, for the 8 cyl you will get 4 pulses. If you are going to keep this thing and work on it yourself, you should commit yourself to learn as much as you can about the EECIV system. There are some good aftermarket books out there on it, and the mustang guys have pretty much torn these things apart and know how they work inside. They are s little primitive and sometimes difficult to diagnose though.

Mtcrss546

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
bronco/ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33x12.5x15
Still no need for a scanner. If you look at the instruction link carefully, and do some more google searching on "How to read EECIV codes" you will find in the first series of pulses it will pulse half the number of cylinders the computer is programmed for. So for a 4 cyl you will get 2 pulses, for a 6 cyl you will get 3 pulses, for the 8 cyl you will get 4 pulses. If you are going to keep this thing and work on it yourself, you should commit yourself to learn as much as you can about the EECIV system. There are some good aftermarket books out there on it, and the mustang guys have pretty much torn these things apart and know how they work inside. They are s little primitive and sometimes difficult to diagnose though.
Thanks for the info I did not catch that it would do the pulses for the cylinders. Have intentions on keeping it for a while and I have learned a lot already because of this forum and learning more everyday. Will be doing a lot of research today since we just got about 4” of snow and still falling.

Mtcrss546

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
bronco/ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33x12.5x15
Hey everyone update on the issues I was having. Found corrosion in the ecm. Found a used ecm and made the truck driveable. Truck started throwing mass air codes. Tried cleaning and same issue. Found a used mass air flow sensor and installed and truck ran great for a few days then started having a miss and a gas smell found #1 injector leaking out of the electrical connector. Installed 6 injectors and new Orings. After all that truck is running great and very reliable so far.

On to the next project on the rig ...gears. Truck has 4.0,5speed, 8.8 rear, Dana 35 front, 33x12.5 tires. Currently has 3.73s that is to high of a gear. To much effort to take off and 5th gear is unusable.

Do I want to go with 4.56s or 4.88s? I will stay with the 33” tires. I do some highway driving but not much. I wasn’t sure if running a bit more rpm is worth the extra gear for 4.88?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals