• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Keyless key pad code

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
So our 11 Ford edge just left my daughter stranded... luckily at home.

The key FOB unlock button quit working and the lock cylinder on the drivers door is frozen or broken and won't unlock the door. I went out with a slim jim and fooled with it until my hands froze... it's 16 degrees today. With the VIN can someone with access to Ford's system retrieve the keypad code?

I know I can get it with both keys and cycling them both in sequence and the code should pop up on the display... but I can't get into the car.

Any help one of you can offer?

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
You don't use a slim jim in a normal way. Pull the door handle open and go up from under the handle. Nevermind, just saw you said it's an edge. The door handle trick works on rangers. You can open a ranger that way in 5 seconds using the antenna...

You can use a wedge or air bag to open the door at the top slightly to get a rod into the inside to pull the interior handle open. Or to press the interior unlock button.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Yeah...my lock out kit is pretty old... none of the air bag tools. I just called road service... it's part of our insurance plan.

Here is the kicker... I know the code was in the owners manual. But kids thinking they know everything... she seems to think she threw it out. GRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!

I will have to see if I can get the code using the two key method. Or it seems the factory code is also on the module and I can get it from there.

Only figures it would happen today... the coldest day of the year so far.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
So... the tow truck driver was here for about 5 minutes. Used two air bags on the window frame... long rod to bump the lock switch.

I looked for the owners manual... gone. Peaked up under the dash... code was on the module. Key pad works as it should. I will have to address the lock cylinder on a nicer day. Temps on the news said 16... but I looked at my thermometer and it say 8. The wind is also just howling... they don't call it the windy city for nothing.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
It is possible the lock is froze and is in dire need of lubrication. One trick that I've used that has worked in the past is to heat the key and insert it into the lock to melt the ice. Sometimes it takes a couple of times before enough of the ice is melted in order to melt all the ice and get the cylinder to rotate. I've run across that more when there has been a really rainy couple of days with a sudden temp drop the next day. Interior heat of the vehicle fully warned up in such instances isn't enough to warm up the cylinder enough to clear itself.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
It is possible the lock is froze and is in dire need of lubrication. One trick that I've used that has worked in the past is to heat the key and insert it into the lock to melt the ice. Sometimes it takes a couple of times before enough of the ice is melted in order to melt all the ice and get the cylinder to rotate. I've run across that more when there has been a really rainy couple of days with a sudden temp drop the next day. Interior heat of the vehicle fully warned up in such instances isn't enough to warm up the cylinder enough to clear itself.
Yeah… my first attempt at getting into the car included a propane torch and some lock-ease. That evolved into the failed attempt with the slim jim. Something is wrong/broken/binding in the lock cylinder or latch.

The plan would be to get a new FOB and program it... then when she isn't using it and I have time... dig into it and see whats going on. Hopefully she can get by until the weather gets nicer in the spring.

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
They seem to always hide the code somewhere inside the vehicle. I remember I bought an explorer and the PO didn't know the code so I googled it and low and behold the code is in the compartment in the back where you fill the washer fluid or something along those lines. Shine a flashlight back there and there it was. Worked like a charm. That is one feature I do miss and like. It's nice to go to a gas station and lock it while it is running.

G8orFord

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC S/C
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Just the right size to touch the ground.
You can read the code with Forscan on some vehicles. It seems to be hit & miss. I'm pretty sure I read it on my '07 Expedition, but the option didn't even show up for my '04 F-250.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
You can read the code with Forscan on some vehicles. It seems to be hit & miss. I'm pretty sure I read it on my '07 Expedition, but the option didn't even show up for my '04 F-250.
I've been looking into scan tools and such. I had a Tech2 and a Candi module assigned to me at GM with the engineering software installed. So I could scan anything GM. The only Fords I worked on were my Rangers... and now with a driveway full of Ford stuff... I need something. I need it probably sooner then later also.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I've been looking into scan tools and such. I had a Tech2 and a Candi module assigned to me at GM with the engineering software installed. So I could scan anything GM. The only Fords I worked on were my Rangers... and now with a driveway full of Ford stuff... I need something. I need it probably sooner then later also.
Definitely look into the Forscan. As long as you have a laptop, you can get into a setup for about 25 bucks.

Forscan is a wonderful tool for newer vehicles. I've used it on my '16 F150 multiple times.

A lot of good info here --> https://www.f150forum.com/f118/forscan-software-enable-disable-features-your-truck-348987/

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Not that it matters but I don't lock my driver's door or use E-brake in the winter :)

And use an Organic de-icer on frozen lock, Dirtman knows what that is, as do most GUYS

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
And use an Organic de-icer on frozen lock, Dirtman knows what that is, as do most GUYS
If alwaysFloORD does that in the -42degree weather he’s having, his application tool might freeze solid and break off.

G8orFord

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC S/C
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Just the right size to touch the ground.
If you have 1996+ Fords (or Mazdas) and work on your own rides, you should have Forscan. Period. The only better diagnostic software available (to my knowledge) is Fords IDS and possibly Autoenginuity. Forscan is free. The other two are not. Nor are the multiple "scanners" you can buy that aren't nearly as full featured as Forscan. Most people already have a laptop or a smartphone/tablet, so the only additional cost involved is getting a quality OBDII adapter. I prefer the Scantool.net OBDLink MX or MX+ because they have the ability to read the MS-CAN network that Ford uses. It also reads GMs SW-CAN for those unfortunate souls that own one. You'll need a different software than Forscan though. Most of the "cheap" adapters do not have this ability and if you're diagnosing things connected to the TCM, ABS, GEM and other modules, you simply won't get all of the information you need.

The PC and MAC versions of Forscan are full featured, the Android and iOS versions are understandably scaled down, but still offer a lot of useful information and diagnostics. Oddly enough, though the PC/MAC versions are free to download, the Android and iOS apps cost a few bucks.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I actually have an android tablet that I was hoping to turn into this tool... and probably will.

I know the first order of business is getting the adapter... Then see if I can program keys with the tablet version. If not I guess I will just have to take the laptop to the garage.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals