• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Because I really needed another vehicle

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Another update on the truck from this afternoon. I got the new fuel pump installed (twice), once backwards, got it turned around and then realized there's a kink in the nylon fuel line by the reservoir in the frame rail, tried to straighten that out...mistake #2. Cracked the fuel line...mistake #3 trying to take a shortcut and using quick connect push type couplers to put the pieces back together after cutting out the bad section of line, leaks even worse now :(. Going to get some regular barbed connectors to get it put back together leak free tomorrow hopefully (storm moving in). At least get it driveable then this spring I think I'll just go through front to back and replace all the nylon fuel line crap with regular rubber lines. Those stupid connectors with clips Ford uses SUCK!!!! Broke several of the clips trying to get them out, luckily I had extras. So, eventually replacement fuel lines with regular hose clamps and none of those junk connectors Ford thought were so great. 1 of my leaks is up on the fuel filter connection, once again one of Fords garbage connectors has some missing pieces on it so the clip one maintain pressure on the line to keep it tight against the fuel filter causing it to leak.

On the other hand it shouldn't be much more to get it back on the road here in the next couple days if the weather holds out...now would be a great time to have a garage instead of a carport LOL.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
Fuel pump installed, tried repairing a couple of damaged fuel lines with no success, have fuel leaking still. Still having the same problem as I had to begin with, so wasted a bunch of time, money, and fuel for no reason. The cutting out and acting like its starving for fuel I don't think is actually the problem. Its only doing the cutting out problem when its warmed up, for the first couple miles or so its fine, then the problem starts so I have no idea what is going on, I thought TFI, but its not that warm and I think if the TFI was the issue it would just die not cut out and catch itself and keep going. Inline fuel pump is new, fuel filter is new, fuel pressure regulator is new. Same problem as before, at a complete loss. Waiting to get my fuel pressure tester to see what I'm getting for fuel pressure. The pump in the tank is operating, and since it only does it after the truck warms up I doubt there'a an issue with the fuel pump in the tank, and/or the fuel pickup tube restricting fuel as that I would think would exist all the time even cold.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
When it first runs while cold the computer uses onboard fuel maps, not the o2 sensor. Once warm the computer uses the o2 sensor as well as other sensors to figure out how much fuel to put into the engine.
I would look at the o2 sensors, they probably haven't been changed since new and do wear out. They are good for around 100,000 miles.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
EGR valve, maybe? Have you checked that yet? Or the idle control motor?
I haven't checked the EGR valve, and wouldn't that cause the emissions light to turn on too if it was bad? I took the idle control assembly off and cleaned it out, when I took it off the rod inside wouldn't move at all, I cleaned it out with carb cleaner, and the rod was then moving freely afterwards...didn't fix the problem.

Anything that can be done with a bad EGR valve? anything to bypass, remove, or replace? Looks like I could order a replacement from Rock Auto, but anyway to test them to see if its bad?

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
When it first runs while cold the computer uses onboard fuel maps, not the o2 sensor. Once warm the computer uses the o2 sensor as well as other sensors to figure out how much fuel to put into the engine.
I would look at the o2 sensors, they probably haven't been changed since new and do wear out. They are good for around 100,000 miles.
If an o2 sensor was bad would it cause the emissions light to turn on? The light isn't on, so just wondering how or what would turn that light on, if the EGR or o2 sensor is bad does that cause the light to turn on or what triggers that light? I assume the "Emissions" light in this truck is what the "Check Engine Light" is now as the truck doesn't have a CEL, just Emissions light.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If an o2 sensor was bad would it cause the emissions light to turn on? The light isn't on, so just wondering how or what would turn that light on, if the EGR or o2 sensor is bad does that cause the light to turn on or what triggers that light? I assume the "Emissions" light in this truck is what the "Check Engine Light" is now as the truck doesn't have a CEL, just Emissions light.
I'm not too sure on how the CEL or Emissions system works. I do know there has to be a certain number of times a problem shows up before the light comes on. A code can still be stored in the computer memory and not turn the light on. Check for codes...

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I haven't checked the EGR valve, and wouldn't that cause the emissions light to turn on too if it was bad? I took the idle control assembly off and cleaned it out, when I took it off the rod inside wouldn't move at all, I cleaned it out with carb cleaner, and the rod was then moving freely afterwards...didn't fix the problem.

Anything that can be done with a bad EGR valve? anything to bypass, remove, or replace? Looks like I could order a replacement from Rock Auto, but anyway to test them to see if its bad?
The valve can be replaced, yes. Remove it, and shake it. If it rattles, it's good.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
EMISS light comes on every 60k or so to remind you to have the emissions system inspected. There is a button near the glovebox to reset it.

It has nothing to do with diagnostics.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
EMISS light comes on every 60k or so to remind you to have the emissions system inspected. There is a button near the glovebox to reset it.

It has nothing to do with diagnostics.
So there isn't a CEL in this model apparently from what I've been able to find. My 88 Bronco 2 has a CEL or service engine light can't recall what it says, but apparently 87's didn't have that LOL.

I'll do more digging around and see what's going on if I got any codes or not.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So there isn't a CEL in this model apparently from what I've been able to find. My 88 Bronco 2 has a CEL or service engine light can't recall what it says, but apparently 87's didn't have that LOL.

I'll do more digging around and see what's going on if I got any codes or not.
1988 was the first year for a CEL.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yes, my 86 ranger didn't have a cel. The inspector didn't believe me at first and was going to fail my salvage inspection. I didn't know 87 was the same.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
Fuel lines from the reservoir to the fuel rail will be replaced tomorrow still have some leak issues on that. Then I'll dig into the power loss and cutting out issues. Right now I don't dare drive it as the fuel leak is right by the fuel filter and exhaust LOL.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals