• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2019 Ranger Ecoboost Oil Change Interval

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Reread what I said... Not that time is the only factor, but that it's an estimate based on engine speed, run time since the last change, etc. A calculation that factors multiple components, not a sensor physically looking at the oil.
I think it is a calculation thing that compares engine speed, temp, load etc.

There isn't a real good way to even measure if oil is good or bad (lubricity? clarity? foreign matter?) for a vehicle to figure it up actually judging the oil on its own.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I have a foolproof way to judge if oil is good or bad.

Change it. Alot.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Reread what I said... Not that time is the only factor, but that it's an estimate based on engine speed, run time since the last change, etc. A calculation that factors multiple components, not a sensor physically looking at the oil.
I think it is a calculation thing that compares engine speed, temp, load etc.

There isn't a real good way to even measure if oil is good or bad (lubricity? clarity? foreign matter?) for a vehicle to figure it up actually judging the oil on its own.
I used to believe that until I got my last 2 trucks. I beat them mercilessly, full throttle out of traffic lights and stop signs 75% of the time or more, idle for over an hour a day, tow a trailer 1 or more weekends a month, run 90mph down the freeway with the added wind resistance of a roof top tent and it still didn’t tell me to change my oil until 13-14k miles.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I used to believe that until I got my last 2 trucks. I beat them mercilessly, full throttle out of traffic lights and stop signs 75% of the time or more, idle for over an hour a day, tow a trailer 1 or more weekends a month, run 90mph down the freeway with the added wind resistance of a roof top tent and it still didn’t tell me to change my oil until 13-14k miles.
Hmmm... where can I buy that lease turn in? lol

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
The "intelligent oil life monitor" system doesn't have any idea if the oil is dirty or new, it infers everything based on run time. In the summer when the air is so thick with moisture it's hard to breathe the PCV system is drawing that into the engine, in the winter the temp change causes moisture to condense inside the engine and combustion byproducts blow by the rings until the engine warms up. The system was invented by the knuckleheads who came up with "lifetime" transmission fluid fills, it'll last the life of the transmission by shortening the life of the transmission.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Hmmm... where can I buy that lease turn in? lol
Hey... It got the oil changed at 4K... It just never got the oil life monitor reset.

Nobody wants it... It got the rear axle stuffed all the way up to the back door.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
The "intelligent oil life monitor" system doesn't have any idea if the oil is dirty or new, it infers everything based on run time. In the summer when the air is so thick with moisture it's hard to breathe the PCV system is drawing that into the engine, in the winter the temp change causes moisture to condense inside the engine and combustion byproducts blow by the rings until the engine warms up. The system was invented by the knuckleheads who came up with "lifetime" transmission fluid fills, it'll last the life of the transmission by shortening the life of the transmission.
See I listen to these people...

HenryMac

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2019, '31, '27
Make / Model
Ranger, A & T
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo, 350, 5.0 HO
Transmission
Automatic
Total Drop
Stock, about a foot, about a foot
Tire Size
LT 265/65 R17, P285/70R15 & P195/65R15, 820-15 & 500-15
Technology moves on... There's a lot more to the "intelligent oil life monitor" than run time.

https://owner.ford.com/support/how-tos/vehicle-features/dashboard-instrument-cluster/intelligent-oil-life-monitor.html#

intelligent oil life monitor.jpg

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Someone should put an hours meter on their engine and see how many hours are on an engine at oil change intervals... Miles don't really matter if you do like snoranger and let it idle for over an hour everyday..... Miles don't add up when sitting still idling but it still affects your oil quality.... A true hours meter or whatever they are called would be the best bet for proper intervals.... 1000 hours is 1000 hours whereas 1000 miles could be 16 hours or 30 hours... My math is not even close to right but you all get my drift?? I'm gonna put an hour meter on my ranger and see how many hours are on the engine at so many miles.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I prefer the set time. Get the oil change and vehicle lube inspections done in April/May and I'm good until Fall. Get them done again in October/November, I'm good for the winter. No wondering about when the stuff needs to be done like in the middle of a vacation or whatever.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
The conditions listed in that chart are not new, my point was that the oil life monitor does not test the oil in any way, it infers the need for an oil change. If you don't want to change the oil don't change it. Like I said, I still have friends who sell engines. I have seen warranty coverage denied due to lack of maintenance but never on customers who relied on my shop for their service. How much does a vehicle have to cost to make it worth the price of 2 oil changes a year? How many oil changes could you buy with the cost of a single car payment? I always told customers I'd rather sell them maintenance than major engine or transmission repairs.

HenryMac

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2019, '31, '27
Make / Model
Ranger, A & T
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo, 350, 5.0 HO
Transmission
Automatic
Total Drop
Stock, about a foot, about a foot
Tire Size
LT 265/65 R17, P285/70R15 & P195/65R15, 820-15 & 500-15
The conditions listed in that chart are not new, my point was that the oil life monitor does not test the oil in any way, it infers the need for an oil change. If you don't want to change the oil don't change it. Like I said, I still have friends who sell engines. I have seen warranty coverage denied due to lack of maintenance but never on customers who relied on my shop for their service. How much does a vehicle have to cost to make it worth the price of 2 oil changes a year? How many oil changes could you buy with the cost of a single car payment? I always told customers I'd rather sell them maintenance than major engine or transmission repairs.
Just responding to your comment "it infers everything based on run time". I just wanted to clarify.... some folks might think you know what you're stating, since you're a Ford Tech.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
So you know more because you watched a commercial? :icon_confused:

4.0blue98

I don't feel tardy...
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Round
My credo
It was like that when I found it.
That chart title is sort of funny. "How driving conditions affect the engine oil life of a Ford". Seems like they could have shortened it to "affects engine oil life". Doubt it would be different based on auto brand. Marketing...

I've had some sort of oil life monitor in my '11 Dodge Avenger (that should make PJ412 happy). It makes no sense, so clearly uses other parameters than just runtime. I just don't think it matters that much with modern oils as long as you do actually change it and check the level. I just change it every 6-8k and it's spotless inside. I saw when I changed the junk Mopar rocker. The old timey Ranger gets oil every 3-4k.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals