• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Because I really needed another vehicle

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Picked this up today...needs a little cleaning, and I believe a fuel pump seems it is starving for fuel at highway speeds, but it does run and drive good when its not starving itself of fuel occasionally.

On the plus side its a manual transmission, 2.9L V6, and 2WD. Going to just be the run around town truck right now....no tow package, just a plain Jane truck with a long bed.

Attachments

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Cool truck man. You can pack all kindsa snow in that :D

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Very nice looking!

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
Cool truck man. You can pack all kindsa snow in that :D
HAHA, if it ever snows LOL. We had about an inch of snow yesterday its all gone now, can't even tell it snowed :(. Sadly this year we are getting skipped for a white Christmas, so its not really Christmas like.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
Very nice looking!
Its pretty plain, sadly the photos really don't show the paint fading and the paint issues on the hood and roof which I think are due to it being parked under a tree for way too long, seems like its a bunch of tree sap spots, I assume it would wash off eventually.

Hoping the drivability issue it had about 1/2 way home is a simple fuel pump replacement. It was driving fine then suddenly started to lose power and bucking if I floored the accelerator it would clear up and run fine for a bit till I backed off the accelerator then it would do it again. Then after I got it home, it ran fine after lunch. I assume it may be the fuel pump and/or fuel filter and pressure regulator. Other than that it seems to run very good, and none of the valve train clatter that the 2.9L V6's are usually known for. The interior was filthy when I got it, so I took the shop-vac to it. It'll need much deeper upholstery cleaning but it'll wait till spring. Mostly I think dog hair and looked like probably a teenager driving it or college student change thrown all over in it, and a few parking tickets from the local university LOL.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The driveability issues seem more like too much fuel....when you floor it your adding air. If it was not enough fuel then flooring it would cause bogging and maybe backfires. Check the o2 sensors.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
very nice!

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
What is that, 88,89?
Hate ta say this but those rims look just like ones(14") that came on my trailer, and just like ones(15") my brother had on his he brought up here.(even took a flashlight out there and double checked the spoke count) I don't know if there's any real difference from trailer to truck, although I'm fairly certain the treads are.
Also the Rangers were once a top contender for being stolen, and a big part of the reason was that sliding window. A locking topper or tool box greatly diminishes opportunities of using it for access. I have a tool box on my 93 and it appears to cover about 1/3, but I took off 4-wheeling over to the back pasture with an uncle in front and couple kids in the back and they spent the whole time crawling from the cab to the bed and back.
I guess that's all my nit-pickin for now, carry it on! :D
Actually I'd rather say something than have something happen and wish I had :/

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
The driveability issues seem more like too much fuel....when you floor it your adding air. If it was not enough fuel then flooring it would cause bogging and maybe backfires. Check the o2 sensors.
I'll check sensors...

The weird thing is when you turn the key on, the fuel pump is running all the time, on my Bronco 2 the fuel pump runs for a second or 2 then shuts off till you start the engine...so wondering if there's a bad relay somewhere causing it to run continuously when the key is on.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
What is that, 88,89?
Hate ta say this but those rims look just like ones(14") that came on my trailer, and just like ones(15") my brother had on his he brought up here.(even took a flashlight out there and double checked the spoke count) I don't know if there's any real difference from trailer to truck, although I'm fairly certain the treads are.
Also the Rangers were once a top contender for being stolen, and a big part of the reason was that sliding window. A locking topper or tool box greatly diminishes opportunities of using it for access. I have a tool box on my 93 and it appears to cover about 1/3, but I took off 4-wheeling over to the back pasture with an uncle in front and couple kids in the back and they spent the whole time crawling from the cab to the bed and back.
I guess that's all my nit-pickin for now, carry it on! :D
Actually I'd rather say something than have something happen and wish I had :/
Its an 87 Ranger XL as far as I know its an XL, nothing really says, could possibly be a custom but there's definitely nothing custom about it.

The wheels are 14" steel wheels, had the same style but 16" wheels on my 88 F250...it has Nokian tires on it which are no longer made, and are of course the wrong size, but given the lack of tire availability that fit these older vehicles its quite common to find them with different size tires than factory. Those wheels were very common back in the 80's and 90's for a steel wheel alternative to the garbage aluminum ones that they all came with and if you do any towing/hauling those aluminum wheels had a tendency to crack and cause tire failures. So my 88 F250 got steel wheels...not sure why aluminum wheels were even an option on a full size 3/4 ton truck in the first place LOL.

People will steal whatever they want regardless if you lock it or how you secure it LOL. I want to get a pickup bed tool box at some point, but not too concerned with where I live and its not running right on the highway due to some fuel issues right now so they won't get far. My 84 Ranger had a camper shell but people would just break a window or break the window stops out and open the windows anyhow on the sides of the camper shell, or the back slider window on the truck's cab.

That stupid plastic visor thing on the hood is going in the trash ASAP, and I already ripped the trashed floor mats out of it, and changed the steering wheel cover that was falling apart.

Hey on the plus side I have another 80's RBV with a non-working factory stereo LOL, must be a Ford problem, Ford vehicles seem to be the only ones I've ever had that the radios are trash in.

Here where I live people will steal a 4x4 vehicle, if you got a 4x2 you'll be stuck with it no matter how bad you want it stolen LOL. My 84 Ranger I got so pissed off at that I left the keys in it and doors unlocked all the time in hopes someone would steal it, sadly nobody ever did LOL.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well, it just looked a heck of a lot better than my 87 ever did ;) Maybe find what the year number is in the VIN.
The dash looks more like it though. I replaced the radio in it with one from likely wmart, around $100, and it was stiff competition for oncoming headlights. I barely had room behind the seats to install some 6x9" speakers

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
Well, it just looked a heck of a lot better than my 87 ever did ;) Maybe find what the year number is in the VIN.
The dash looks more like it though. I replaced the radio in it with one from likely wmart, around $100, and it was stiff competition for oncoming headlights. I barely had room behind the seats to install some 6x9" speakers
Its an 87 LOL. Manufactured October 1986. Pretty plain simple get from point a to point b truck, just like they used to be LOL. I want to replace the stereo in my Bronco 2 with something that is setup for Satellite radio, I had found one a while back that was setup that way and had the front USB port and an SD card slot too which those features were a nice option to have and it still had a CD player as well if you want to go old school HAHA!!! Someday maybe it'll get a stereo upgrade, but the cassette player still works and I just plug my phone into it and I've been using the Spotify app for music in my Bronco 2. I only drive about 4 miles one way to work so pretty pointless having a nice stereo that'll never really be used anyhow.

Can't tell if the speakers in the Ranger are shot or if the whole system is just shorted out somewhere because at full volume if i play around with the fade knob it cuts in and out...not worried about it, like I said I only drive a few miles one way to work so not anything I'm too concerned over and most likely will never bother to fix since I've had my Bronco 2 for about 3 years and haven't bothered doing anything with that radio either HAHA!!

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
any chance it could be a loose antenna connection?

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
any chance it could be a loose antenna connection?
No, its a short in the radio itself as if you move the dials it will cut in and out. Least of my worries.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
It appears you have a windmill fetish...

Uncle Gump <------ Totally jealous of the view out the end of your driveway.

Pretty nice truck too!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals