• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2006 F150 5.4 3 valve shuts off

buell-eyed-devil

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0-ZF in process
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"body on new poly body mounts
Tire Size
My credo
Hey ya'll, watch this
have a 06 F150 that when you drive about 10 minutes starts running erratic, idle drops very low and then shuts off. No codes. Checked all fuses and relays. Need help please

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Cam phasers? My 04 had bad cam phasers. I knew that when I bought it. Couldn't afford to fix it properly so I put in 10w40. Eventually going to 15/40. I got another 30,000 I'm out of it before the motor pooched and sold it for $200 more than I bought it for.
There is a seal that goes bad and then oil bypasses the tensioner. Using thicker oil is a temp fix.

buell-eyed-devil

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0-ZF in process
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"body on new poly body mounts
Tire Size
My credo
Hey ya'll, watch this
Thats funny. It was running perfect before they changed the oil....hmmm

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
There is a seal that goes bad and then oil bypasses the tensioner. Using thicker oil is a temp fix.
Be very careful with this. The seal mentioned is the gasket that seals the hydraulic tensioner to the block. This seal being bad can allow the engine to skip time, one chain link at a time. After about 60* (yes, it will run that far out of time, the phasers have a range of 50* in either direction) things get broken. Each time a chain link is off one tooth that is 10*.

Thats funny. It was running perfect before they changed the oil....hmmm
Try unplugging the VCT solenoids before starting the engine. That locks the phasers in a set position at 0* advance, and if the VCT system is causing the issues they will stop.

I'd also drop the spare tire down and inspect the FPDM bolted to the spare's cross member. They are known to rot out and can cause all sorts of issues as they begin to fail, and don't always set codes. Just find it, unbolt it, and look for a giant hole on the side that was against the frame.

If you find that spend the extra money on the Ford service kit. The failures are caused by stuff getting stuck in between the frame and the module because they sit too close together. The after market kits don't fix this issue, but a Ford service part will come with stand-off bolts that move the module about an inch out from the frame.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals