• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

TRS Goals For 2020

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you pick your parts up at speedway let me know. They have an awesome museum too.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
This may be off base, but we could work on a definitive classification for the Tully Monster.

Or not.

I know there are a lot of car shows around, but the Carlisle shows literally draw people from all over the country. Doing something there could be worth looking at. I know I am always super disappointed at the abject non-representation of Rangers there, particularly in the swap meet area. To find anything Ranger related is a minor miracle, and it is almost always "Oh, well we had some space left over in the trailer so we brought this along".

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
TRS was started because someone...(the OP) wanted to modify their Ranger...and 20 years later here we are LOL.

I have found that where I live there's never anything around here for gatherings of stuff like this, so whatever the members in the real world decide it won't make any difference to people like me who don't live anywhere close to where any of these events would ever be held, and trying to drive a 30+ year old vehicle out of state and across the country won't ever happen, at least never for me LOL.

I think one thing of course with the new "Ranger" being out on the road now is expending the tech section and library to incorporate all the information for those...not sure they'll still be any operational in 30 years but at least for the time being many are buying them so this forum would be a great place to house all that information....I'm too poor to ever be able to buy a new Ranger so count me out for ever knowing anything about them, other than my aunt's dealership has 4 of them sitting in the service lot awaiting replacement engines all with less than 1000 miles on them LOL.

I have a couple of TRS t-shirts I ordered for the 20th anniversary. Wouldn't mind a TRS baseball cap at some point if they're ever offered. Doesn't have to be a 20th anniversary but a TRS in general would be great. Some sort of stickers & Swag that doesn't cost a fortune to hand out to people that you meet to spread the word about TRS.

Honestly I have no idea, that's why I'm not a moderator, and don't run a business or website, I don't have the brain cells to think of stuff to keep things going HAHA!!!

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
if i ever have interest in a car that has a ranger body....my low rider ranger is going to be electric.

it is going to be awd.....with vectored steering ability fore and aft.

with some version of trail control....

turn table capable.

it will also be able to raise itself up enough to drive over big parking blocks.....and actually haul shit.

it wont have any of the easy conventional shit i listed.

but the easy button to a lower rig with actual suspension and braking improvments can start with the parts i listed.

where i shop....less the 200 buxs.

this has nearly unlimited engine options....the cv was built for a 4.6. sooooooo....v10....460....duramax...whateverr....

but the 2.0 or 2.3 eco would be awesome for a gasser. the weight and handling afforded with lighter custom suspension is worthy.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
I have found that where I live there's never anything around here for gatherings of stuff like this, so whatever the members in the real world decide it won't make any difference to people like me who don't live anywhere close to where any of these events would ever be held

Honestly I have no idea, that's why I'm not a moderator, and don't run a business or website, I don't have the brain cells to think of stuff to keep things going HAHA!!!
Even if you don't have a clear idea, contributing to the discussion can help spark ideas.

Feeling like you're not close enough to participate seems like a common feeling. Do you guys enjoy reading things like the Trans America Trail trip I took? Did any of you watch any of the videos? Would you like to see more stuff like that?

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Outside of more gatherings, I can’t see how the site can be more relevant. We have new Ranger and Bronco content as well as the old stuff. The forum has facebook pages and a Youtube channel with adventures and eye candy videos. The forum owner gives a crap and shows up on the forum from time to time, And the people are generally friendly. And buch of misguided, reprobates but friendly. What more could you ask for on an average forum budget?
Who're you callin' a reprobate, soldier?!

I'm not now, never have been, and never will be, a reprobate, thank you very much! :tease:

ExploreNW

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
Tire Size
235/75/15
Should we do another event?
I used to live in a spot that had a couple DIY garages. Basically they're full shops without any mechanics where guys would show up, wrench on their stuff, swap parts, share tools, and build community. Seen some serious projects and some haggard high school rice rockets come out of those doors. The guy was tied in with a Toyota community afaik.

If TRS found a spot like this for a gathering, parts swap meet, or beer swap I wouldn't mind driving a few states over to attend :icon_cheers:

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Jim, this summer you did an amazing trip of the Trans America Trail. I can't do it (no money), but I'd love to see somebody take a classic Ranger across Canada. You (or whomever does it) would travel the Trans Canada Highway from BC to Newfoundland, including Prince Edward Island. This link gives you some information on the highway route, and the history of the highway: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans-Canada_Highway

The last time something like this was done (aside from Rick Hansen's Man in Motion tour, Terry Fox, and there have been some others) was 1990. PBS did a two part show for their show Travels. It was done just as the Canadian (the train that traveled the Canadian Pacific Railway main line from coast to coast every day), on it's last (or near last) run. I don't think ANYBODY has done this on the Trans Canada Highway.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
How do we stay relevant after 20 years?
Be the go-to resource for the 2019+ trucks as we for the 83-11's. Getting more info on the 98-11's would be good too.

Should we do a TRS group project?
It would be neat but logistically complicated with our Commander in Chief way down in Texas almost by himself.

Should we do another event?
Heck yes.

Texas has been thrown about, I have never been there and it would be a fun "something different" trip similar to Ohio. I think for sure an awesome terrain change. Texas is a big state but Dallas is about the same distance from my home as Southington was. It is kind of a double edged sword though because I doubt many of the friends I made in Ohio would go all the way down there. It might just be Jim, Agpete and me that show up...

Spring would be fun but I have a long list of stuff I want to improve from the last trip. Minor stuff overall but stuff came up I want to address. Nuthin' is going to move in my garage for awhile now that it is getting cold though. I don't know about everyone else but fall works nice so I have the summer to prep/test.

Should we create our own video production, and what should it contain?
TRS2 updates/build, more travel videos, maybe even how to videos. Could start off with basic stuff like how to change/fix a tire, to how to do wheel bearings and just go from there. Walkarounds of featured trucks too. There are 30 years of RBV's out there to go over.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Even if you don't have a clear idea, contributing to the discussion can help spark ideas.

Feeling like you're not close enough to participate seems like a common feeling. Do you guys enjoy reading things like the Trans America Trail trip I took? Did any of you watch any of the videos? Would you like to see more stuff like that?
I live in Southwest Idaho, there ain't nobody here that does anything even close to what TRS is, heck I don't think most of the people I see running around in RBV's even have a computer LOL. They most likely have no idea that TRS even exists...I had no idea either up until recently, sadly if I would have known several years ago my 84 Ford Ranger would still be around, sold it due to the carburetor & computer crap and I believe now was a combination of needed to be durasparked and to have the TFI replaced, once it got hot it would die, and all the sensors were shot the computer did whatever it wanted when it wanted LOL....I'd so love to get my old Ranger back :(.

What videos I did watch of yours with the new Ranger out on the trails was really good, nothing beats being able to do that stuff in person though LOL. However, my vehicles are daily drivers I can't afford to play around like that.

One of my issues is I live paycheck to paycheck....well usually never works that way but sounds better than the I never make it between paychecks. So, as a result I don't have the money to go out and play around with a vehicle that has to get me to work every day, and the occasional day off I get is usually spent maintaining said vehicle. I don't have the luxury of taking several days off to go play or do meetups and such....I'm sure I'm not the only one just the only one that actually don't care about posting that I AM NOT RICH LOL.

Whatever you and the rest of the mods do on the forum is on you guys, I have absolutely no idea what would be good for TRS because I am an old school guy who hates all the electronic crap in today's vehicles so following the new Ranger for me isn't anything I'm going to have to worry about, plus that thing costs more than I bring home in a decade. Cool to watch the back roads & trail drives but not a vehicle I'm interested in ever owning. Now a early 90's or 80's Ranger or another Bronco 2 yes, but the new stuff, ehh not so much.

A video section on DIY repairs may be something to think about? A Youtube channel for members to post up their DIY repairs, maintenance, upgrades, etc. to go along with the Tech section would probably get a lot of attention, maybe? IDK, if I watch a Youtube video on fixing something, usually it allows me to think about the project and know if its something I can do or not, and if it is the video is a huge help, and if it isn't something I can do the video was a huge help to allow me to see what I would have to do and know it wasn't something I could tackle on my own.

Last edited:

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Jim, this summer you did an amazing trip of the Trans America Trail. I can't do it (no money), but I'd love to see somebody take a classic Ranger across Canada. You (or whomever does it) would travel the Trans Canada Highway from BC to Newfoundland, including Prince Edward Island. This link gives you some information on the highway route, and the history of the highway: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans-Canada_Highway

The last time something like this was done (aside from Rick Hansen's Man in Motion tour, Terry Fox, and there have been some others) was 1990. PBS did a two part show for their show Travels. It was done just as the Canadian (the train that traveled the Canadian Pacific Railway main line from coast to coast every day), on it's last (or near last) run. I don't think ANYBODY has done this on the Trans Canada Highway.
Ah yes! Canada's only road!

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
TRS was started because someone...(the OP) wanted to modify their Ranger...and 20 years later here we are LOL.

I have found that where I live there's never anything around here for gatherings of stuff like this, so whatever the members in the real world decide it won't make any difference to people like me who don't live anywhere close to where any of these events would ever be held, and trying to drive a 30+ year old vehicle out of state and across the country won't ever happen, at least never for me LOL.

I think one thing of course with the new "Ranger" being out on the road now is expending the tech section and library to incorporate all the information for those...not sure they'll still be any operational in 30 years but at least for the time being many are buying them so this forum would be a great place to house all that information....I'm too poor to ever be able to buy a new Ranger so count me out for ever knowing anything about them, other than my aunt's dealership has 4 of them sitting in the service lot awaiting replacement engines all with less than 1000 miles on them LOL.

I have a couple of TRS t-shirts I ordered for the 20th anniversary. Wouldn't mind a TRS baseball cap at some point if they're ever offered. Doesn't have to be a 20th anniversary but a TRS in general would be great. Some sort of stickers & Swag that doesn't cost a fortune to hand out to people that you meet to spread the word about TRS.

i learn alot from you and guys like you...i was in northern mi for quite a few years.... so being remote from easily obtainable parts to do even simple maintenance stuff is a known commodity for me. it did not take me long in my younger years to clean out all of the rbv axles and transmissions locally.... fortunately my jobs put me near good resources far from home periodically so i did not totally lose my all three of my brain cells in frustration.......(fortunately..it is very rare occasions that require me to dust off the 4th one..)

generally....i have shit luck with shipping...but it is unavoidable these days. and getting better. my vehicle is in a horrid state because i dont have access to the parts easily and cost effectively due to working remotely. i am in the worst place to get the parts i want to do the projects we need done on this sight. but the eebbaayy and sites like it have really opened up keeping old machines alive for just about anyone...i never really utilized those tools.(3 brain cells)

and trying to drive a 30+ year old vehicle out of state and across the country won't ever happen, at least never for me LOL.

there was a recent thread that made me realize something i never put much thought into before....

there are the stock guys.....that work on things as intended as closely as possible with furtive modifications strictly as necessary..... generally they want things to look stock and work stock. this is then always readily maintained with the oem reason and logic.

then theres assholes like me.

83 to 97 ranger is no mystery to me....low odds i will ever ask a question about fixing one. save for specific specs.... i dont think i have ever had to do that actually. not because i am a ranger god....but because i have all of the books...and they were/are wore the fawk out....before the internet vb board was born.

i look at what is available and adapt it to my intentions so driving my 30 year old vehicle anywhere.....AND I MEAN ANYWHERE....is as ho hum an event as possible.

i look forward to pillaging these electric machines to build me some crazy ass rangers....

i hate working on stock machines because they are hard to work on....but most machines are this way.

so your problems and difficulty navigating them due to remoteness adds to the learning curve.

real lucky to have had the guys like makg...allan d...4x4 junkie...adsm...rick...smitch and killer builds like from brinker...bray d...all of the ky.tn crew...all of the desert guys....the kid with the coyote...bigblock...bob from hawaii

doorgunner.

very fortunate. just holding this line does all good for 2020...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals