• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cybertruck Reveal

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
One thing will make me change my mind (and, no, it's not necessarily increased range). Most of these electric vehicles are front or rear wheel drive. The other two wheels? They're just along for the ride. They spin. So, let's take Toyota's hybrid technology (that Ford licensed), and take it one step further. Put generators on the non-drive wheels, so that as they rotate, they generate electricity and charge the battery.

With an ICE, the alternator puts out enough power to run the entire electrical system of the vehicle (on older ones - some newer vehicles still run the electrical system off the battery, and the alternator charges the battery as needed). Why can't an electric vehicle use the freewheeling wheels to do the same thing? You *might* be able to charge at a rate of 100:100. In which case, I'd have nearly infinite range. NOW that electric vehicle has an advantage over my ICE.

DeathRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 and 2019
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
2.3 L 4 cyl ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
This is my Ranger. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
But there are gas stations everywhere. You have to plan your trip around where a charger is available. If yours is setup to be able to charge off a 110 outlet, how long is the wait before you can go again if you are taking a longer trip. Or do you just save it for your local driving and commute to and from work? I drive same pretty far distances fairly often that limitations like that could be a problem.

I'm asking these questions out of curiosity and to someone who has first hand experience. This isn't a bash session or meant to become one.
The Tesla is actually the wife's because she works so far from our new home and it's been a huge savings.

Certainly you may have to plan some routes around having a charger if you're going over 300 miles (assuming you have the dual motor longe range model 3 currently rated for 325 miles.
Took one trip from KC to Phoenix and right back to KC. There's was a super charger every 120 miles or so. It did add some extra time to the trip having to charge but we really only stopped for 30 mins at a time. by the time you get outta car, stretch, go inside, get food and whatnot its almost charged enough to make it to the next station
The tesla autopilot is pretty amazing for cruising down the highway so a 53 hour straight trip was a piece of cake and never felt tired.

110 outlet only yields about 5mph. This won't work for most people. I have a 220V 50amp NEMA 14-50 in my garage that give me about 30mph.

I have another trip planned to middle of nowhere Texas among the oilfields. There's no way the tesla would be feasible because of no charging options the last 200 miles. So the Ranger will get to make the trip

There are also adapters you can buy to charge connected to other outlets style like a dryer or welder which some people use when going to their cabin's in the woods

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
added about $100 to $150 a month and i'm even on tiered rates...yet, that will help immensely
so 7 months x 150/month = $1050

Gas lets say at 30mpg for average car
30,000 miles / 30mpg = 1000 gallons

it's 2.37/gal near me so woulda have cost $2370 in gas
That's actually accurate information. This spring, I was looking at a new lawn mower. I know what distance I walked to cut my grass with the old 21 inch, and I calculated what the distance would be with my new 18 inch. Then, I figured out how much gas I would need, compared to how much electricity I'd need, were I to buy an electric.

Yes, electricity is cheaper than gas.

HOWEVER: Let's look at some real-world information, shall we?

1) Those batteries are made from rare-earth materials. They have to be mined, and those mines are FAR more harmful to the environment than extracting oil from the ground.

2) The electricity to charge that battery has to come from somewhere. It's generated by either nuclear, natural gas, coal, or hydro.

3) Even so called renewable energy sources (wind and solar) still require fossil fuels to generate electricity. They're used as ingredients in the solar panels. They're burned to manufacture the turbines. They're in the oil used to lubricate those turbines.

DeathRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 and 2019
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
2.3 L 4 cyl ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
One thing will make me change my mind (and, no, it's not necessarily increased range). Most of these electric vehicles are front or rear wheel drive. The other two wheels? They're just along for the ride. They spin. So, let's take Toyota's hybrid technology (that Ford licensed), and take it one step further. Put generators on the non-drive wheels, so that as they rotate, they generate electricity and charge the battery.

With an ICE, the alternator puts out enough power to run the entire electrical system of the vehicle (on older ones - some newer vehicles still run the electrical system off the battery, and the alternator charges the battery as needed). Why can't an electric vehicle use the freewheeling wheels to do the same thing? You *might* be able to charge at a rate of 100:100. In which case, I'd have nearly infinite range. NOW that electric vehicle has an advantage over my ICE.
I can't speak for other electrics but my model 3 is a dual motor. so it has the motor mounted on axle between tires. with computer stuff they can easily manage wheel sleep and send power where needed.
teslarati.com/tesla-model-3-beats-audi-quattro-in-roller-test-video/

The tesla also has regen breaking so you can essentially drive using only the go fast pedal and let off when you want to slow down and the battery recoups some energy.

DeathRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 and 2019
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
2.3 L 4 cyl ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
That's actually accurate information. This spring, I was looking at a new lawn mower. I know what distance I walked to cut my grass with the old 21 inch, and I calculated what the distance would be with my new 18 inch. Then, I figured out how much gas I would need, compared to how much electricity I'd need, were I to buy an electric.

Yes, electricity is cheaper than gas.

HOWEVER: Let's look at some real-world information, shall we?

1) Those batteries are made from rare-earth materials. They have to be mined, and those mines are FAR more harmful to the environment than extracting oil from the ground.

2) The electricity to charge that battery has to come from somewhere. It's generated by either nuclear, natural gas, coal, or hydro.

3) Even so called renewable energy sources (wind and solar) still require fossil fuels to generate electricity. They're used as ingredients in the solar panels. They're burned to manufacture the turbines. They're in the oil used to lubricate those turbines.

1. Rare Earth minerals are bad. 1000% agree. But battery tech is soo new and Tesla has a commitment to find other ways to make batteries without as much rare earth minerals
Oil isn't really great for the environment either.

2. I'm in Kansas where our power sources in 2018 was:
38% Coal
37% Wind
21% Nuclear
4% Natural Gas
https://kcc.ks.gov/electric/electric-energy-sources

3. Yes we need oil and fossil fuels for lots of other things. But what's so wrong about not using so much of them? and at the same time getting cars that can go 0-60 in 3.2 sec
In 2018 the US used 20.5 million barrels of petroleum per day. that seems silly.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
added about $100 to $150 a month and i'm even on tiered rates...yet, that will help immensely
so 7 months x 150/month = $1050

Gas lets say at 30mpg for average car
30,000 miles / 30mpg = 1000 gallons

it's 2.37/gal near me so woulda have cost $2370 in gas
Its neither here nor there but 30k miles a year well above the national average.

I don't run $150/mo thru my 4x4 V8 F-150.

DeathRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 and 2019
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
2.3 L 4 cyl ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Its neither here nor there but 30k miles a year well above the national average.

I don't run $150/mo thru my 4x4 V8 F-150.
Agreed, Wife loves her job but we also like our house in the middle of nowhere. And that was 30k in 7 months. so we'll easily hit 50k a year in the car.

There really was no other option besides maybe a toyota camry or honda accord but this was same price and way more fun to drive.

I still had my old beater trucks until they fell apart for the last time that I could stand and I traded them in for the new ranger. I've never owned anything but a ranger and even tho I rarely tow I do use the bed quite a bit so a truck was the only option for me

RangerVet

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FordRanger Edge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
From here on down it's uphill all the way!
Very ,little infrastructure or electrical generating capability as of yet. I will probably be dead before this becomes common. Born in 1945

DeathRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 and 2019
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
2.3 L 4 cyl ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I still drive about 100 miles or more round trip a day to work, monday thru friday. I average about a tank of gas a week in the new ranger getting about 22mpg so I'm prob spending $150 to 200 a month on gas

DeathRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 and 2019
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
2.3 L 4 cyl ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
What uhh... is that suppose to be...

DeathRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 and 2019
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
2.3 L 4 cyl ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Yea I'm not watching that stupidity... Theres an ALF marathon on.

DeathRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 and 2019
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
2.3 L 4 cyl ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Better Images

0-60 in 2.9 secs
500+ mile range
towing up to 14,000 pound

Attachments

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
That looks like CGI. It would suit Deathrace2020.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals