• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Super duty opinion? 01 7.3

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...

Seen this yesterday. Got quite a few miles but looks well cared for.....thinking about checking it out. Whats yalls take? I dont know a whole lot about the 7.3 so anything to watch for?

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
No personal experience but from my reading, the 7.3 seems to be the most desirable of the Ford diesels. IIRC, it was made by International.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Never mind. Missed the description part. Says it smokes on startup and misses. I aint touchin it.

G8orFord

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC S/C
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Just the right size to touch the ground.
Probably just a bad injector. The 7.3 is right up there with the 300 I6 as far as durabile Ford engines, though the 7.3 was made by International. That's a pretty good price for a 4wd Crew Cab and 195k is nothing to a 7.3 that's been reasonably maintained. The 7.3 can be made into a decent runner, but in stock form it will pull a house. It's no 6.0 or 6.7, but great for a simple dependable workhorse.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Probably just a bad injector. The 7.3 is right up there with the 300 I6 as far as durabile Ford engines, though the 7.3 was made by International. That's a pretty good price for a 4wd Crew Cab and 195k is nothing to a 7.3 that's been reasonably maintained. The 7.3 can be made into a decent runner, but in stock form it will pull a house. It's no 6.0 or 6.7, but great for a simple dependable workhorse.
Oh i know the 7.3 is a good engine.

But not knowing how long (or how hard) iu got ran with that bum injector makes me nervous. Not to mention i have no clue how to rip into a diesel besides lefty loosey righty tighty lol

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Slightly off topic, bit take my advice and DO NOT get one of the 6.2 trucks.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My next ones honestly prolly gonna be a coyote F150.

Unless i can keep the 460 glued togther another while longer till i can get a 7.3 gas truck at a decent price

G8orFord

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC S/C
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Oh i know the 7.3 is a good engine.

But not knowing how long (or how hard) iu got ran with that bum injector makes me nervous. Not to mention i have no clue how to rip into a diesel besides lefty loosey righty tighty lol
That's pretty much how it works. The injection system is a little different than a gasser, but not incredibly complex. I don't know what part of Michigan you're in, but there a shop in Defiance, OH that's about as good as it gets for 7.3 Powerstrokes. Well Powerstrokes in general, but they cut their teeth on the 7.3's and know them well. CNC Fabrication If you could get it to them, I'm sure they'd tell you all you need to know about it.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
That's pretty much how it works. The injection system is a little different than a gasser, but not incredibly complex. I don't know what part of Michigan you're in, but there a shop in Defiance, OH that's about as good as it gets for 7.3 Powerstrokes. Well Powerstrokes in general, but they cut their teeth on the 7.3's and know them well. CNC Fabrication If you could get it to them, I'm sure they'd tell you all you need to know about it.
Im only about an hr and a half from defiance. The truck is about 30 min from there.

What would it cost labor wise to get injectors in it?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
What's wrong with the 6.2 trucks? I've only heard good feedback about them so far. My buddy has one and says it's been an excellent replacement for his old 3v V10 truck. The only negative I've heard was from someone who was pulling a huge 5th wheel camper, said it was underpowered (well, duh.)

G8orFord

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC S/C
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
A full set of injectors would probably run between $1000 and $1500 for stock replacements. Labor is iffy depending on the shop, but I'd guess it's about a 4 hour job. I've never done a 7.3 , but that's about what I'd think the flat rate would be on a 6.0 and they're similar in that respect. @adsm08 might have more information there. I don't think he's into diesels, but he could probably look up the labor time. Give Corey a call at CNCFab or start a chat on their website. Tell him G8orFord sent you, it probably want save you anything, but it might get me a discount the next time I buy something from him. LOL

Better yet, join Powerstroke.org and go to the 7.3 section and talk to them. Great bunch of guys over there. Kinda like here, just without the pooping in the furnace stuff.

G8orFord

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC S/C
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
What's wrong with the 6.2 trucks? I've only heard good feedback about them so far. My buddy has one and says it's been an excellent replacement for his old 3v V10 truck. The only negative I've heard was from someone who was pulling a huge 5th wheel camper, said it was underpowered (well, duh.)
I assumed he was talking about the 6.2 Duramax, but maybe you are more on point.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Yeah I assumed he was referring to the 6.2 gasser in the newer Super Duties. Kinda surprised, they have a good reputation.

Speaking of that I read a post recently where someone was trashing the 6.7 diesels. THAT was a big surprise - I know four people who have them and just love them. Absolute animal in stock form, deleted and tuned they will really wake up and have been very reliable so far too.

G8orFord

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC S/C
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
The early 6.7 (2011) had some issues with valve seats and other minor growing pains, but that was fixed pretty quickly. The turbos were a little prone to early bearing failure, but that was fixed in 2015. As far as I know, the only real gripe with them now is the CP4 injection pump. It's a great pump, but cannot stand any foreign material or water and when/if it does fail, it's catastrophic and the entire fuel system has to be replaced (per Ford's requirements). As far as other issues, there really aren't any. Ford nailed it with this design IMO. Like you said, even in stock form they are a great. After a little "weight loss" and tuning, they are an absolute beast.

I'll say this, I've surprised more than a few Mustangs and Camaros with my 8000 lb. 6.7 pony car. It's kinda funny, when I drive the Ranger and want to speed up, I mash the throttle and the little 4.0 just does it's thing, slowly building speed. I keep waiting for the turbo to spool and really take off. I wanna get me one of those SC kits for the SOHC, but that's about $4k I don't need to spend on the little beater.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
It will out tow a 460... ask bobbywalter.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals