• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4600 ultra4 ranger build (PICTURE AND DETAIL HEAVY)

Custom_chaos_racing

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
what's going on guys!
we started this build a while ago, but are nearing the end so its time for a build page. note: this is not a step by step. pictures are going to be out of order haha.

for more detailed pictures, give us a follow on instagram @customchaosracing

a little crash course of the ultra4 emc stock class for those that don't know.
- must retain oem suspension style (ie ifs rigs must remain ifs, coil as coils, leafs as leaf)
- any engine available in make/model/year
- any trans available make/model/year
- axles open
- transfer case open
- max 35" dot tire (no race tires)
- must retain a mechanical linkage between steering box and wheels (no full hydro)
- only sheet metal allowed to be cut is wheel openings up to 2" from tire at bump.

basic specs:
35s, 44 ttb with lunchbox locker, van 9", stage 3 a4ld, 4.0

the truck started as a 1991 4x4 4.0/auto/ extended cab short bed.

we then drew a couple pictures and threw a cage together following the rule book guidelines.
2' .120 wall DOM, with 2" .120 crew for non impact points.

the truck then came back to my house where the rest of the work began. Dana 35/8.8 ripped out and donated to a buddies b2 build. pulled trans and sent it out to get a stage 3 rebuild and custom convertor.

dana 44 ttb got a uniball conversion, and plate work thanks to Desolate motorsports who sent us the care package. once it was all welded up it began going in, prepped the 9" out of my explorer from when I went to 1 tons. trussed and added bash plates.

installed a set of dealer f31 leafs, and ordered dealer jeep speed coil springs (285 ppi). the coil springs have a longer free length and required custom coil buckets.

Made a fuel cell mount and trans coolers mounted

began making a dash/ center console. along with misc stuff such as window nets, steering column, fire
extinguishers mounted,

set it on its own weight took some measurement, and tore it back down a to finalize the front end.
its slowly going back together now! stay tuned for more details!

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Cool build. Looking forward to some action shots.

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My world is filled with stuff that needs to be fixed
Nice welding!

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Nice... really cool truck!

Must be something about those Smuckers uncrustables... a racing buddy of mine always showed up with a box of those and a half gallon of milk for late night wrenching getting the cars ready for race weekend.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Damn! This is going to be awesome! o_O

Custom_chaos_racing

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
thanks guys! weve been putting in tons of hours. im ready to wheel this thing already!
what site are yall using for picture hosting? some of my pictures are too large to load on the insert image portion of the post.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I got roped into Flickr when it was free. It isn't free anymore but I don't want to move again and I like the format with no popups.

farmer

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Mix of 78-96
Make / Model
Ford donors
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
357w
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
13ish
Tire Size
39.5x15.5
There's some clean fab work on this, but it looks like you redrilled the drop bracket to move the D44 wider. Hope you plan on reinforcing that, looks pretty close to the edge in that pic.

Planning on being ready of Hammers 2020? Can't wait to see it done

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
i think it will live.

Custom_chaos_racing

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
There's some clean fab work on this, but it looks like you redrilled the drop bracket to move the D44 wider. Hope you plan on reinforcing that, looks pretty close to the edge in that pic.

Planning on being ready of Hammers 2020? Can't wait to see it done
Hammers 2020 all depends on funds and convincing enough friends to take a week off to pit for me. ill be down there no matter what, but whether we race this year or not has not been determined.

good eye! so all the info out there for installing a dana 44 ttb into a ford ranger says you can bolt them into stock pivots and cut down the shaft. this is correct however the driver side beam is actually 1" closer to the frame then the passenger beam is by doing so. to fix this we opted to drill a hole one inch over on the beam, and installed the dana 44 hd shaft so no cutting needed. i then cut out a piece of 1/2 plate , machined out 1/4 inch depth shape of the bracket and welded it into place to widen and strengthen the bracket where the bolt hole is. ill post some pictures of it.

progress is as follows:
-truck has been wired! took a lot of time sorting through diagrams but got it wired up and running.
-painted the cage
-began final assembly on the interior
-steering has been done
-began the winch bumper.

still alot of misc stuff todo. ill do my best to post some pictures up of where its at!

can anyone take a picture of a stock rain gutter body (pre 93?) rear bumper bracket?

JOLENE_THE_RANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
trucks lookin good man! hope to see it runnin at this coming koh!

Custom_chaos_racing

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
heres some pictures.. more to come.

passenger pivot bracket

steering and new tires. went with hercules terra trac t/g max in a 35/12.50r15 on aluminum bronco rims.
steering is an old 7sx desert truck trick. used 2wd 1991 ford explorer steering which is pre bent. as you can see it runs fairly flat with the beam. we will see how well it holds up. because we are using drop brackets swing set steering isnt really a viable option for us.
you can also see how i reinforced the driver pivot after moving the bolt hole over.

here are some interior pics. sorry they are so dark, black paint and night time in the garage = poor quality pictures.

and last for now, here are the driver and passenger beams at full droop, and bump stops installed. along with shock towers.

JOLENE_THE_RANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
whats preventing that bump stop from sliding higher up in the can on a hard hit?

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Hammers 2020 all depends on funds and convincing enough friends to take a week off to pit for me. ill be down there no matter what, but whether we race this year or not has not been determined.

good eye! so all the info out there for installing a dana 44 ttb into a ford ranger says you can bolt them into stock pivots and cut down the shaft. this is correct however the driver side beam is actually 1" closer to the frame then the passenger beam is by doing so. to fix this we opted to drill a hole one inch over on the beam, and installed the dana 44 hd shaft so no cutting needed. i then cut out a piece of 1/2 plate , machined out 1/4 inch depth shape of the bracket and welded it into place to widen and strengthen the bracket where the bolt hole is. ill post some pictures of it.

progress is as follows:
-truck has been wired! took a lot of time sorting through diagrams but got it wired up and running.
-painted the cage
-began final assembly on the interior
-steering has been done
-began the winch bumper.

still alot of misc stuff todo. ill do my best to post some pictures up of where its at!

can anyone take a picture of a stock rain gutter body (pre 93?) rear bumper bracket?
Good to know. I keep contemplating upgrading to a D44 TTB. I'd just have to figure out the best way to convert my 8.8's wheel bolt pattern to match the front.

Custom_chaos_racing

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
whats preventing that bump stop from sliding higher up in the can on a hard hit?
the cans were slightly under sized so i machined them out so theres actually a slight lip where they are stopped at, other then that is just the clamping bolts that keep it in place. in theory a hard enough hit will make them move, hopefully with proper shock valving that wont be an issue.

Good to know. I keep contemplating upgrading to a D44 TTB. I'd just have to figure out the best way to convert my 8.8's wheel bolt pattern to match the front.
time for a 9" swap! if you snag one from a car it will be stock ranger/ explorer width, but would be 28 spline.
or you could always do a f150/ bronco rear end. then you can keep your 8.8 internal. it would just be wider.
id even be willing to bet there is a company that makes new shafts with 5.5x5 pattern on them

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals