• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need some help tracking down a vacuum leak in my truck

Tman5293

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B2300
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 2004 B2300 that is experiencing vacuum loss on acceleration. Symptoms include the blower direction changing from dash vents to defrost when I accelerate indicating no vacuum pressure and a high/rough idle. The engine idles anywhere from 900-1100rpm but usually sits just below 1000rpm.

I have checked the ball shaped vacuum reservoir that is bolted to the passenger frame rail beneath the air box and found that it holds vacuum pressure using a vacuum gauge. From what I can tell, both of the lines that run to the resovoir, one from the intake manifold and the other into the firewall, are intact. I'm not sure what else or where else to check for this. If someone could steer me in the right direction that would be awesome.

If anyone has access to an accurate vacuum system diagram for the 2.3L DOHC motor that would be extremely helpful. I can't seem to find a decent one.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I have the diagram, will scan it from my workshop manual whe I get home. HOWEVER, there is no vacuum on acceleration. Vacuum drops to almost nothing on acceleration. Totally normal. Which is why the reservoir ball exists. It stores vaccum so you can still change vent position when the engine is running with no vacuum. Default setting is defrost when theres no vacuum which is is why it goes to defrost.

Normal idle for the duratec is 860 when warm around 1,200 when first started. There is a vacuum check valve in the ball which if not working properly bleeds off vacuum during acceleration and then you loose vent control (goes to defrost).

My guess is the vacuum leak is inside the cab at the splitter or one of the actuators.

Tman5293

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B2300
Transmission
Automatic
I have the diagram, will scan it from my workshop manual whe I get home. HOWEVER, there is no vacuum on acceleration. Vacuum drops to almost nothing on acceleration. Totally normal. Which is why the reservoir ball exists. It stores vaccum so you can still change vent position when the engine is running with no vacuum. Default setting is defrost when theres no vacuum which is is why it goes to defrost.

Normal idle for the duratec is 860 when warm around 1,200 when first started. There is a vacuum check valve in the ball which if not working properly bleeds off vacuum during acceleration and then you loose vent control (goes to defrost).

My guess is the vacuum leak is inside the cab at the splitter or one of the actuators.
That makes sense. So if I'm losing vacuum on acceleration when there is no vacuum could that indicate an issue with the resovoir? Another piece of information that I feel I should add is that if I turn the ignition to ON without starting the engine, air will only blow out of the defrost vents. I can't change the direction at all.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
That makes sense. So if I'm losing vacuum on acceleration when there is no vacuum could that indicate an issue with the resovoir? Another piece of information that I feel I should add is that if I turn the ignition to ON without starting the engine, air will only blow out of the defrost vents. I can't change the direction at all.
If the engine is not running, there is no vacuum. Therefore, default flow to defrost.

You either have a leak somewhere in the lines or actuators for the HVAC system or the check valve in the reservoir is bad. I would suspect a leak somewhere. It's a common problem.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
if I turn the ignition to ON without starting the engine, air will only blow out of the defrost vents. I can't change the direction at all.
Yes because you have zero vacuum power to the actuators. The system spring loads back to defrost with no vacuum and wont allow any change without vacuum power. If the ball isn't broken the leak is in the cab.

Tman5293

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B2300
Transmission
Automatic
If the engine is not running, there is no vacuum. Therefore, default flow to defrost.

You either have a leak somewhere in the lines or actuators for the HVAC system or the check valve in the reservoir is bad. I would suspect a leak somewhere. It's a common problem.
Yes because you have zero vacuum power to the actuators. The system spring loads back to defrost with no vacuum and wont allow any change without vacuum power. If the ball isn't broken the leak is in the cab.
Okay so I ordered a new resovoir ball. Going to change that out when it comes in and see what happens. If that doesn't resolve the issue, what exactly should I be checking for under the dash/behind the glove box?

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
Leaky vacuum hoses/broken fittings.

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
You can use a piece of rubber vacuum hose to listen for the leak. stick one end in your ear and go over vacuum lines one at a time and listen for a hissing sound. For this you will need to have the truck running because you need to have vacuum to hear the hiss. Surprisingly it is fairly easy to hear it with the hose and is why I am suggesting trying this to find it. Yes you will still need to tear into the dash to access the hoses but it will help you find it if there is no obviously broken hard hoses.

Don't worry everyone looks odd with a hose coming out of their ear....

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
There are TONS of versions of these DIY smoke machines you can make for less than $20 to find vacuum leaks..

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
might have a failed check valve or missing check valve....or...backwards check valve......

or bad brake switch valvinator thing...or something.

Tman5293

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B2300
Transmission
Automatic
I just wanted to let you guys know that I fixed it by replacing the vacuum ball. The check valve was broken off inside the old one. The air no longer disappears when I accelerate.

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
Glad to hear it was something simple and easy to fix.

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo

Tman5293

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B2300
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for yall's help. I'm still having some issues with rough idle even though it's now idling at the correct rpm. I posted a new thread in the 4 bangers section describing the problem in detail.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals