• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

12V coolers?

lvwill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
265/65/17
I haul building materials locally in Vegas. Home Depot and Lowe's Monday and Tuesday lumber yards rest of the week.

I've been using a coolatron cooler for about 3 years now and it's been pretty good.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
If current drain is a concern, then be sure to get one that has a real refrigeration circuit, rather than a thermoelectric (Peltier) type cooler.

The difference in current draw literally is 4-fold (1.75A vs 6-7A), and a real fridge unit can also be used as a freezer if needed (and works very well as such too). Thermo coolers rarely reach any more than about 40°F or so below whatever the ambient temperature is (so if the sun has heated the inside of your vehicle even to just 100°, that sandwich meat or milk or whatever will likely be gone in short order).

I have an Edgestar 43 qt unit that sits in the back of my BII when I go on trips (have had it since 2010). It's been a great unit.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Not that it matters but when I was in Australia coolers are called Esky's
Was in a "down under" friend's garage and he said "grab that esky"...................??
"What the heck is an esky??"
"A cooler mate"

A company called Malley's sold a cooler model called Esky, short for Eskimo , it just stuck, like Kleenex for a tissue
Coleman now owns and still makes that model line

In New Zealand, its a chilly bin, I could get chilly bin for a cooler, but esky.......I was lost

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
If current drain is a concern, then be sure to get one that has a real refrigeration circuit, rather than a thermoelectric (Peltier) type cooler.

The difference in current draw literally is 4-fold (1.75A vs 6-7A), and a real fridge unit can also be used as a freezer if needed (and works very well as such too). Thermo coolers rarely reach any more than about 40°F or so below whatever the ambient temperature is (so if the sun has heated the inside of your vehicle even to just 100°, that sandwich meat or milk or whatever will likely be gone in short order).

I have an Edgestar 43 qt unit that sits in the back of my BII when I go on trips (have had it since 2010). It's been a great unit.
Good tidbit about the cooler only bein 40* cooler then outside. I had no idea about that.

Does the "real fridge" models keep stuff cooler then that like an actual fridge?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
My buddy has a SnoMaster fridge/freezer. Runs on either 12v or 120v. Thing is awesome. It has a battery cutoff so you can set a voltage at which it will shut off and not kill your battery. Works every bit as well as the fridge in my kitchen.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
×2.
The only real caveat is that it can only be used as a fridge OR a freezer (but not both), since it has a single interior compartment.
There are a couple dual-compartment models out there too, but they also are almost twice the cost (and I've no idea how well they can keep ice cream cold without also freezing the milk).

The big reason why I bought one was not having to F around with ice anymore (and the soggy steaks and sandwiches that go with it). This allows far more flexibility in the foods I can bring since I can easily take home anything that doesn't get used, rather than having to toss it.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Not that it matters but when I was in Australia coolers are called Esky's
Was in a "down under" friend's garage and he said "grab that esky"...................??
"What the heck is an esky??"
"A cooler mate"

A company called Malley's sold a cooler model called Esky, short for Eskimo , it just stuck, like Kleenex for a tissue
Coleman now owns and still makes that model line

In New Zealand, its a chilly bin, I could get chilly bin for a cooler, but esky.......I was lost
I personally have never once referred to a tissue as a "Kleenex".

Now if you want to talk about Jell-O...

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have never referred to a thumb wrench as a Crescent wrench....so there.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
I personally have never once referred to a tissue as a "Kleenex".

Now if you want to talk about Jell-O...
Im with you on that one, they're tissues... not Kleenex.

Did you know that other companies make Band-aids... They call them adhesive bandages (or something like that, I don't really care), but they're still pretty much the same thing.
I didn't know that until I was a teenager. My grandmother was a R&D scientist for Johnson & Johnson... We only used real Band-aids.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Im with you on that one, they're tissues... not Kleenex.

Did you know that other companies make Band-aids... They call them adhesive bandages (or something like that, I don't really care), but they're still pretty much the same thing.
I didn't know that until I was a teenager. My grandmother was a R&D scientist for Johnson & Johnson... We only used real Band-aids.
I make Band-aids. They even have different colors now.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I haul building materials locally in Vegas. Home Depot and Lowe's Monday and Tuesday lumber yards rest of the week.
I think the PC term is "Undocumented Immigrant" or "Migrant Laborer".

lvwill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
265/65/17

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Where the hell is that from?
The way I take it is you're part of the "in" crowd...he's picking on you. (In a friendly way)

Paulos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 STX
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Piss jugs on the other hand are a totally different thing... I keep one of those big wide mouth ice tea containers under my seat at all times. When I was working 3rd shift at a job 3 hours away I was practically living out of my truck. There is an off ramp on the way home littered with those ice tea jugs. I threw a FULL one out the window there every morning coming home.

It sure beat pulling off to pee in a truck stop... those things are creepy as hell at 3am.

I mastered the art of driving with one hand, opening a cap with the other, getting in position, and letting loose then closing the cap without missing a beat at 80mph.
So you're the guy! My little brother Joey worked with the highway department mowing grass on the side of the road, until he was killed by a urine bomb that was hiding in the tall grass. They said that the smell was so over-powering that Joey jumped from the tractor, only to be run over by it while he laid on the ground convulsing and puking. When they found him, there was a piece of a plastic jug with an iced tea label stuck on his forehead! In honor Joey and all the families whose loved ones that have hit these urine bombs, we formed M.A.U.B. (Mowers Against Urine Bombs) to find guys like you. The MAUB is coming for you Dirtman :mad:!

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
So you're the guy! My little brother Joey worked with the highway department mowing grass on the side of the road, until he was killed by a urine bomb that was hiding in the tall grass. They said that the smell was so over-powering that Joey jumped from the tractor, only to be run over by it while he laid on the ground convulsing and puking. When they found him, there was a piece of a plastic jug with an iced tea label stuck on his forehead! In honor Joey and all the families whose loved ones that have hit these urine bombs, we formed M.A.U.B. (Mowers Against Urine Bombs) to find guys like you. The MAUB is coming for you Dirtman :mad:!
He REALLY needs to be toilet trained, doesn't he?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals