• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Post your Anniversary Trail Ride photos and videos here

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
Clean your room before you criticise the world.
I need to turn mine back down, I bumped it up for the ride and it bugged me the whole way out and back.
My b2 has idle issues so it just sits at like 1200-2000 like all the time. Which is fine for crawling it doesn't stall but sitting at a stop sign sucks lol

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My b2 has idle issues so it just sits at like 1200-2000 like all the time. Which is fine for crawling it doesn't stall but sitting at a stop sign sucks lol
I bumped mine up to about 1k just for the trail ride.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So here's photos of when I got stuck in sand, @AgPete139, @Mightyfordranger, and @85_Ranger4x4 pushed me out.

The engine wound up overpowering the clutch, and it smoked like a smoke grenade. Next stop, 10 inch clutch upgrade.

Sincere thanks to all three for helping out, and @85_Ranger4x4 for the photos. Any chance you have one of my clutch burning up?

View attachment 31290
View attachment 31291
GoPro in my Ranger caught it all for infinite future enjoyment.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
I SERIOUSLY doubt your engine is making that much more horsepower than stock. The more likely scenario is that the clutch/pressure plate was already old and in need of replacement..

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I SERIOUSLY doubt your engine is making that much more horsepower than stock. The more likely scenario is that the clutch/pressure plate was already old and in need of replacement..
Something was weird with it too, it is like he has an abnormally high reverse. Sand was definitely a power sucker too to try to get going in. I was in 4lo and chugga-lugged around fine but I could tell I had more drag than normal.

I also wonder if his rear wheels fell into the holes I made. I kinda putzed into it in 2wd low range and dug two holes about where he got stuck. I put it in 4wd and crawled out no problem and then he followed me.

Not sure (sand is an alien thing to me) but I think 4lo would have helped PetroleumJunky a lot.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Looks like you guys had alot of fun. Makes me want to get a new 4x4. My truck wouldn't have made It 5 feet down any of those trails...

i would not say that....

Little Bob is 14?? Jesus, it's been a while since we saw each other. I have 2 kids now myself! What the hell happened!? Haha. Always good to see the old pig in action. That truck should be an inspiration to everyone, came from the bottom of Houghton lake and it's still on the road today with how many miles?? Pure awesome. Hope we can go wheeling again someday. I want to see that bronco too :thumb:

bronco is in shambles at the moment....i have not been home much. and wont be for a bit where the time and money will allow progress.... its slated for a ecowhixxer 4cyl still. but will ride again no matter....

the girls been stepping on me to get it going as they want to cruise with it. once it moves we will ride.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
That diesel is kind of perfect for that climb. Doesn't need doublers or anything. Doesn't need a turbo, barely needs a go pedal. It just burbles up the rock pile with a little drool coming out the corner of its mouth.

I'm chopping my B2 frame out of the weeds this week.

dont take my disdain for how nutless the 6.x engines are in stock form too seriously. the context of my rig being powered by some iteration of the damn things for over a decade now, should be plenty of validation of that power-train being quite adequate to getting the job done. the multi fuel capacity and cost effectiveness overall allows for a large amount of tolerance to its ills.

but where wheel speed is needed....the turbo is golden.

as low power as it is....it still breaks shit.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Both new in February. Luk heavy duty.

Need to hit a dyno at some point.

And yeah, it's the weirdo 2.9 M5OD-R1 trans. The reverse gear is way too high. I also totally forgot I had low range. ?

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.

jfitz35

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah. That super clean blue fx4 was his too I think or at least it was his sons I think. Ironically he was the guy who won the bumper I donated lol
The new guy here, I really do appreciate you stopping by and inviting me. Yes the blue one is my daily driver. Just got my son a 98 super can splash. The front end was wrecked and needed parts. Well he now has a bumper and I have a doner 98 for anything else I need. The three of us had a blast and look forward to getting together with everyone again.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
The new guy here, I really do appreciate you stopping by and inviting me. Yes the blue one is my daily driver. Just got my son a 98 super can splash. The front end was wrecked and needed parts. Well he now has a bumper and I have a doner 98 for anything else I need. The three of us had a blast and look forward to getting together with everyone again.
Glad you were able to join us. I wish there had been more time - would have been great to look more at your 347 Ranger. Maybe next time!

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
Clean your room before you criticise the world.
Not a problem glad you got to come out, well have to get together some time and turn some wrenches. Also wanted to let you know that bumper was built for second gen rangers and b2s so I don't think it will fit your 98 without modification. They were made to fit a truck like your green one.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Both new in February. Luk heavy duty.

Need to hit a dyno at some point.

And yeah, it's the weirdo 2.9 M5OD-R1 trans. The reverse gear is way too high. I also totally forgot I had low range. ?

Being relatively new doesn't mean much though. Did you also have your flywheel re-surfaced, and did you wipe it down with solvent before installing the clutch disc? Was it a parts mix-n-match when the trans, flywheel, and clutch was installed?

I'm not trying to rag on your mods at all. I just don't believe that a simple intake change and a different engine management system will make enough extra power on a little 2.9 to smoke a new clutch that quickly. I follow similar mods on the 5.0 and know what the various intake, throttle body, and EEC swaps do for performance, and that can be easily estimated with the 2.9 as well.

I wonder about full engagement pressure, mixing parts, clutch disc installed backwards, etc..

It'll be interesting to see what's up once it's all apart.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well, there IS the supercharger too.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals