• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

R2 slave to '87 master cylinder

Daniel Black

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
205/60R15 & 225/60R15
I'm putting a 302 in an '87 Ranger that had a TK-5 speed. My first choice was an '80s F150 bellhousing with external slave cylinder and a 4-speed but I can't find one of those bells anywhere for a decent price. I found an M5od-R2 out of a 2wd 2003 F150 with a 4.2 V6. The deminsions look pretty close as far as length and trans mount but the shifter measures to be a little further towards the dash than my TK but I think I can work with it. The big problem is the line hookup to the slave cylinder looks nothing like my TK. Is there a way to hook it up using factory Ford parts or would I need some sort of custom line made?

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Is your master on an angle? if so This is what I got a 90 ranger 7/8 bore master from rock auto and line with the 90 f150 slave your shifter will be located 2 inches forward from the R1's position. And the f150 and ranger have the bolt for the shifter on opposite sides so you will need a custom shifter. And you're trans mounts should be the same

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You just need a line from an 88 or newer to make the hydraulic connection.

Daniel Black

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
205/60R15 & 225/60R15
Thanks. So I just need a line for a Ranger that came with an m5od-R1.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Thanks. So I just need a line for a Ranger that came with an m5od-R1.
Alll the manual transmissions from 88 up had that same connector style, M5OD and FM146. IIRC there was a change in the diameter of it in the mid 90s though, so you just have to watch that.

Daniel Black

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
205/60R15 & 225/60R15
I found an F150 bell with bracket and clutch fork for $65. Used an '85 F150 slave cylinder and clutch line for an '83 Ranger that came with the same external slave as the F150. Everything plugged in.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Just wondering - how stiff is your clutch pedal? Did you have any clearance issues with the F150 slave cylinder?

I'm considering changing to a different slave cylinder in my V8 swapped truck. I have a Speedway slave cylinder now and I believe that it's leaking. My clutch pedal has always been rather stiff too - something to lighten it up would be nice. I used the Speedway part because I had heard that the F150 s/c is quite large and has clearance issues with the transmission tunnel.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I used the clutch hydraulics (master/line/slave) for a '91 Explorer for my R2, the clutch feels like it could have came from Ford that way.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Ha! I should have clarified: my question was directed at @Daniel Black since he apparently has the same F series, 4 speed juice clutch bellhousing that I have.

Daniel Black

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
205/60R15 & 225/60R15
Just wondering - how stiff is your clutch pedal? Did you have any clearance issues with the F150 slave cylinder?

I'm considering changing to a different slave cylinder in my V8 swapped truck. I have a Speedway slave cylinder now and I believe that it's leaking. My clutch pedal has always been rather stiff too - something to lighten it up would be nice. I used the Speedway part because I had heard that the F150 s/c is quite large and has clearance issues with the transmission tunnel.
I had to beat the crap out of that lip and some of the tunnel on the drivers side. I don't have the trans in yet so I can't say on how the pedal feels. I'm afraid if I mash it without the trans input shaft in the clutch might move out of line. I imagine it'll be the same as stock. '83 Rangers call for the same part # slave as the F150 and they use the same part # clutch master as my '87 Ranger. Mine was internal and wouldn't hook up so I had to order the '83 clutch hose. I'll report back when I find my shifter linkage rods I'm looking for. The clutch master is my only concern since the stock Ranger is what an 8" clutch and my flywheel is only made for an 11" clutch. I think that's where the real difference will show in the Ranger vs F150 master cylinder.

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I had to beat the crap out of that lip and some of the tunnel on the drivers side. I don't have the trans in yet so I can't say on how the pedal feels. I'm afraid if I mash it without the trans input shaft in the clutch might move out of line. I imagine it'll be the same as stock. '83 Rangers call for the same part # slave as the F150 and they use the same part # clutch master as my '87 Ranger. Mine was internal and wouldn't hook up so I had to order the '83 clutch hose. I'll report back when I find my shifter linkage rods I'm looking for. The clutch master is my only concern since the stock Ranger is what an 8" clutch and my flywheel is only made for an 11" clutch. I think that's where the real difference will show in the Ranger vs F150 master cylinder.
Take your shifter lever out of the trans and stick a rag in the hole makes it so easy to get it

Daniel Black

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
205/60R15 & 225/60R15
I have an old style topload 4-speed that I'm missing the shift linkage for. The clutch slave technically fits without a ton of hammering but I wanted some extra room in case I needed to change it or work on it in the future.

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I have an old style topload 4-speed that I'm missing the shift linkage for. The clutch slave technically fits without a ton of hammering but I wanted some extra room in case I needed to change it or work on it in the future.
I used a 7/8 90 ranger master, 90 ranger line, f150 slave for the m5odr2 it was the same p/n for both. My clutch releases not that far from the floor it isnt very heavy either if you can use a trans with an external slave for easy repair. Depending on the location of it and the sensor for the back up/nns you may need to modify your floor I had to any way i.e. cut a access hole and then self tapper it shut with gasket maker as a sealant.

Daniel Black

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
205/60R15 & 225/60R15
I have external slave. I hope my mechanical speedo will work in this trans with a gear swap and the back up lights should hook into the shifter mechanism when I find it. Ran into more clearance problems. I need to grind some on the pass. side of my 164T bell for header clearance and couldn't get the top bolts out with it in the truck. I had to set the whole motor back out but it's getting easier to take in and out.

Daniel Black

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
205/60R15 & 225/60R15

The trans is in now. With the back of the motor up where it should be I didn't need any extra clearance for the bellhousing or slave cylinder. I did notice the slave can't be removed from its bracket now so that could be a problem down the road. The slave is very close 1/4" to a tube on the tri-y headers and it's plastic so that's a problem. I have an 11" clutch set and it's pretty hard to mash the pedal down. It even flexes the master cylinder and firewall. It's much harder to mash than my older Fords with linkage style clutches.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals