• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Are you satisfied?

Sidewalk

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Fiesta
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
185/55-15
My credo
#DontFollowJosh
In the market for a vehicle. I am primarily a cyclist now, and have been getting by with a 2012 Fiesta bought new. That car has been, to be fair, fantastic. But I miss the utility of the F150 I had parked next to it at one time. I am trying to split the difference now and find something that will do it all; haul the bikes, maybe a motorcycle, some hay on occasion, decent mileage, and driver aids. I am not set on a Ranger, but it checks the boxes of my desires pretty well, not including the sentimental ones (my dad had an '88 when I was a kid). But...if I am considering spending $40,000 on a vehicle, I shouldn't make a decision on emotions alone. Also, I plan to make it a LONG term purchase. Hoping not to purchase a vehicle for a very long, long time. I want something I can do my own repairs on for the long haul.

Are you happy so far? Lots of competition out there. Wagons and vans are on my potential options list. But I still lean towards a truck.

Also hoping if I wait until the end of the year I can get a better deal.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
He lives!

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Why not get a big used truck to go with a high efficiency car?

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
If I was in your position... and was stuck between a wagon, van and a truck... I would hold off a bit and see what the new Bronco is all about. The trouble with buying a vehicle new these days... They're getting pretty techie when it comes to certain things for the DIY'er.

Now for the... Are you happy so far question you ask... I can't imagine my world without a Ranger parked in the driveway.

Sidewalk

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Fiesta
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
185/55-15
My credo
#DontFollowJosh
He lives!
For now!

If I was in your position... and was stuck between a wagon, van and a truck... I would hold off a bit and see what the new Bronco is all about. The trouble with buying a vehicle new these days... They're getting pretty techie when it comes to certain things for the DIY'er.

Now for the... Are you happy so far question you ask... I can't imagine my world without a Ranger parked in the driveway.
I look at the prices of the other SUV's Ford has, and I can't possibly imagine a Bronco offering what I want in price/value. Wagons are WAY cheaper (Subaru's) by comparison, and the vans are WAY more utilitarian. SUV's really just don't do anything I want well.

Why not get a big used truck to go with a high efficiency car?
Space. I am living in an apartment living right now. I won't be home buying until the new vehicle is paid off (should have the credit rating I want by then). Also with the bicycle commute, the car would basically only get used on RARE occasion. The truck would be used for everything cycling related, which is 99% of my driving (getting to me next ride).

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I’m about 95% happy with mine. The new Ranger isn’t a bad choice. If you aren’t sold on the Ranger, check out TFL Truck on youtube. They cover all the brands and how they stack up against each other. They seem to be pretty straight shooters for being dependent on manufacturers to provide them product to review.

Sidewalk

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Fiesta
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
185/55-15
My credo
#DontFollowJosh
I’m about 95% happy with mine. The new Ranger isn’t a bad choice. If you aren’t sold on the Ranger, check out TFL Truck on youtube. They cover all the brands and how they stack up against each other. They seem to be pretty straight shooters for being dependent on manufacturers to provide them product to review.
Yep, been watching those videos as well as others. Which is why I know the competition is pretty good. Out of the best options, the ones all the reviews seem to like are ones I would consider, especially a Taco!

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
For me, it was between a Taco and the Ranger. The reviews were good enough on the Ranger and it drive train component reliability in other brands that I went with the Ranger. That and I have a friend in the Ford Truck business. I would rather put food on my friend’s table than some stranger’s at the local dealership. He didn’t give me a screaming deal (the truck is brand new after a 8 year hiatus, there isn’t much deals to be had) but it was a fair one.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
I've been all over in the new Ranger, and have tested it in about every condition you can imagine. I really like it. Does better off-road than I expected. I've been getting 16.3 MPG doing the Trans America Trail, which I have finally finished. I added a little taller and heavier mud terrain which will have some negative effect on fuel mileage, plus it has a roof top tent that sticks up above the cab. I haven't used it solely off-road. I've been to California and back. It rides and performs great on the highway. If I was open to any other truck at this point, price and fuel economy would probably be two of my biggest factors.

As always, it's nice to see you around Sidewalk.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals